X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Palforever
    • Feb 2010

Sub suggestions

Since the ASW 825,855 is no more in productions what will be the next best match for the 803s.Thanks
  • swayback
    • Feb 2010

just my two cents...

i've been looking in to this for months and literally just paid for a JL Audio Fathom 113. I wanted to stay within the B&W family but have heard there is no comparison. Good luck.

Comment

• brunsje
      • Jan 2009

JL Audio rocks!!

You won't be sorry buying any JL Audio subwoofer. I have two F112's.

Cheers, JohnnyB

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Palforever,

Another vote for JL Audio. I have an F112. Awesome sub.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• leej
          • Feb 2009

Would the F112 be enough to fill a large room? - about 4000 cu.ft.
          Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
          B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• brunsje
            • Jan 2009

Suggestions

For your size room, you'll need two F112's as a minimum.

Comment

• htsteve
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by leej
              Would the F112 be enough to fill a large room? - about 4000 cu.ft.

I'm not sure if a single F112 would fill that size room with the performance you would want. It depends a lot on the room. Is it sealed? And open walls where bass can leak out? You can call JL Audio and talk to them about your room, setup, etc. I did that when I was looking into the Fathom line. They were quite helpful.

I notice you have an M&K V-125. Would you be getting the F112 in addition to the M&K (I like M&K sub's. Used to own some). If yes, then I think would would be in very good shape by adding an F-112 to the mix.

From a consistent performance and synergy view, you might consider doing two F112's (& selling the M&K). Also, JL has an F212. Essentially a pair of F112's in a single cabinet (but costs alot more than the F112). That might work very nicely in your room.

There is also the F113, a bigger version of the F112. Doesn't cost too much more than the F112, but is about 1/3 bigger in terms of displacement area. That might be a very nice solution for your room.

Any of the JL Audios as a straight swap with the M&K would see a very nice jump in quality and depth.

Hope this helps.
              Last edited by htsteve; 16 August 2010, 12:40 Monday.

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Palforever

Get a pair of F113
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• leej
                  • Feb 2009

Thanks. I was wondering how the combination with the MK might work, as my budget won't allow for 2 JL's. One is stretching it pretty thin. I've been told that the difference between the two might degrade the better sub, instead of improving (by someone trying to sell 2). I was just wondering how much more output I could expect from the F112, since I'm having a hard time finding a dealer to audition one.
                  As for the room, it has another large opening into a dining room, so more than likely, I'd need to look at multiple subs. I considered SVS, after hearing so many good reviews (and price), but I don't think a vented sub is what I want. Looking at their upcoming sealed boxes, I wonder how they will compare to the JL.
                  Lee J

B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• emig5m
                    • Aug 2008

Always buy the most sub you can fit into your room/budget IMO.

Comment

• jericho
                      • Dec 2004

JL Audio also has the F 212 or the Gotham Sub!! 2*12" or 2*13" drivers. Top of the line!

Comment

• htsteve
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

leej,

Given your room description, two subs would seem to be the correct path. That's alot of space, with areas that leak out.

As to output, the Fathom series is pretty awesome. My F112 replaced a Velodyne DD18 (a very good sub with an 18" driver). The F112 was better in every respect. Tremendous output. And an amazing level of refinement. Really a reference level sub.

Hope this helps.
                        Last edited by htsteve; 16 August 2010, 12:39 Monday.

Comment

• Horacio
                          • Jan 2005

leej,

If you know you are getting a new sub, why not get an F112 and try for yourself the F112 on its own and F112 + M&K together? That would tell you if the F112 is for you and if 2 subs is better, and if the M&K degrades the combo. If it does, later on add a second F112.

Multiple subs also has the added benefit of allowing for more degrees of freedom to flatten your room frequency response in the under 150 Hz, which is a region dominated by the room and where the drivers sit. That's another reason for having 2 subs instead of a larger one.

I also vote for JL (having REL).

Horacio

Comment

• leej
                            • Feb 2009

The 2 sub idea sounds like the way I need to go and the F112 seems to be a great sub. Surprisingly, the MK is almost adequate, but lacks that extra punch for movies, so adding a F112 should get me there.
                            Thanks.
                            Lee J

Comment

• sunshdw
                              • Sep 2008

I went with a dual sub set up rather than one B&W and wondered why I didn't do that before. Rather than just add the F112, in my opinion, you should sell the M&K and buy 2 F112 to keep it the same brand and characteristics. Just my .02
                              Magnepan,ARC,VTL,Transparent Audio ;x(

"The term "audiophile" means essentially nothing -- it's a self-anointed status that entails no credentials, qualifications or certifications. It means "hobbyist," nothing more, and anyone can lay claim to it. Ironically, I've come to recognize that "audiophiles" represent a group that will believe almost anything"

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

I am going to pick up a Def Tech Trinity here in the future. I have always wanted to give that beast a shot. :T

My dream is the JL G213 however ;x(
                                Last edited by Race Car Driver; 16 August 2010, 17:08 Monday.
                                B&W

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"