X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Suggestions and feedback

I am looking to do a few addition to my system and was wondering what Classé aficionado thought?

As you know my Audio system is

My system is as follows:

Audio:
    - Seven speakers:
    3 B&W 802D (Left, Center Right)
    2 B&W 802N (SR, SL)
    2 B&W in ceiling (BR, BL)
    1 JL Audio Fathom F113 subwoofer

Electronics:
    - Pre/Pro: Integra Research RDC7 (Classé SSP-800 in Q109)
    - Amps: Classé CA-5200 and Classé CA-2100
    - Source: Sony XA-777ES SACD, Sony Blu Ray BDP-550

I was wondering what would improve the sound of my system: Remember I listen to music 40% of the time and Movies 60%

Option one:
    - two amps Classé CAM400 to drive the two 802Ds

Option two:
    - a second sub JLAudio Fathom 113?

Right now my speaker are crossed over at 80HZ and the sub does the heavy lifting :B

Please let me know what you think and why?
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou
    I am looking to do a few addition to my system and was wondering what Classé aficionado thought?

As you know my Audio system is

My system is as follows:

Audio:
    - Seven speakers:
    3 B&W 802D (Left, Center Right)
    2 B&W 802N (SR, SL)
    2 B&W in ceiling (BR, BL)
    1 JL Audio Fathom F113 subwoofer

Electronics:
    - Pre/Pro: Integra Research RDC7 (Classé SSP-800 in Q109)
    - Amps: Classé CA-5200 and Classé CA-2100
    - Source: Sony XA-777ES SACD, Sony Blu Ray BDP-550

I was wondering what would improve the sound of my system: Remember I listen to music 40% of the time and Movies 60%

Option one:
    - two amps Classé CAM400 to drive the two 802Ds

Option two:
    - a second sub JLAudio Fathom 113?

Right now my speaker are crossed over at 80HZ and the sub does the heavy lifting :B

Please let me know what you think and why?
    I think you would get the most bang for the buck by adding a second sub for balance and more output to fill your room.

Did you ever get the chance to compare your Blu-Ray player with the new Sony ES Blu-Ray player? I read somewhere that you just got the BDP-550.

In a perfect world, the CAM-400's would be wonderful, but I would first try adding a second sub since you're 60% HT.

I personally feel the larger amps are best appreciated for stereo.

In this lousy economy, it's better to seek the best value.

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

Wettou,

I just noticed you're using an Integra for your pre-pro and pre-amp. If you feel your system is lacking anything, you may be missing out on some great sound by not also using a quality pre-amp. I had a complete revelation when I connected a Classe CP-500 pre-amp for listening to music. I think you'll be amazed on how good your system will sound when you upgrade to the SSP-800 next year. (hopefully the SSP-800 sounds at least as good in my system as does the CP-500 when I connect it in January).

Comment

• joetama
        • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
        Wettou,

I just noticed you're using an Integra for your pre-pro and pre-amp. If you feel your system is lacking anything, you may be missing out on some great sound by not also using a quality pre-amp. I had a complete revelation when I connected a Classe CP-500 pre-amp for listening to music. I think you'll be amazed on how good your system will sound when you upgrade to the SSP-800 next year. (hopefully the SSP-800 sounds at least as good in my system as does the CP-500 when I connect it in January).
        I don't think Integra Research is the same as Integra...
        -Joe

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by joetama
          I don't think Integra Research is the same as Integra...
          I just did a search about the company, and you're right that it is not the same manufacturer. After reading about it, I have never heard their products.

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

Hi,

I think that your system is enough powered....or you go sell the ca2100
            and 2xCAM400 for the mains and the CA5200 for the rest.....

but so you go have L&R 802D with a CAM(400watt) and for the center (another 802d) a channel from the CA5200. (200watt)
            for movie is not a problem but you like much music in multichannel and all the front with 3 CAM will be better....

for the subwoofer I will be happy with 1 piece.../ the 802D sound good in LF or??

Style

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
              • Mar 2005

Option 3... Buy a used Audio Research Ref 3 preamp or new if price isn't an issue... Will take your 40% music to a new level. It was the only upgrade I've had in my home as a demo that my wife insisted I buy after a few days. It's that good!

Comment

• ShadowZA
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

I tend to go with what Style has posted. I am a bit biased due to the fact that I am more of a music person than a movie one. Having said this ... 3 802D's powered by CAM-400's would be an awesome front end. :T

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by beden1
                  I think you would get the most bang for the buck by adding a second sub for balance and more output to fill your room.
                  I agree with this. Upgrading from 1 sub to 2 subs made a BIG difference in my room for HT. With only 1 sub, bass was very localized and distracting. With 2, Its just there.

I would not replace an amp right now. Wait until you get your SSP, since you are already planning the upgrade. If you are unhappy then, consider it. I don't like to change too many things at one time. You can't tell what had the greatest effect.

You could buy the amp(s) now, but you might find if you hold off that you don't need them after you get the SSP.
                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• style
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2006

Sure 2 sub make a difference...

but is not so easy have a good "calibration" with the LFE and the 802D...

the difference can be too contra and not to have better sound.

A speaker like the 802D with a couple of Classe monoblock dont need a subwoofer (for ME) to listen music.(and too with the combo SSP800&CA5200)

A sub like the JLAudio Fathom 113 give you a lot of power and distortion ...
                    a room with acoustic-pannel or too only pannel give you more fun like a pair of JL with a incorrect "setup"...
                    Originally posted by ShadowZA
                    I tend to go with what Style has posted. I am a bit biased due to the fact that I am more of a music person than a movie one. Having said this ... 3 802D's powered by CAM-400's would be an awesome front end.
                    :T :T

Style

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by style

It certainly depends on placement. The idea of a sub though is that its not a localized sound.

A speaker like the 802D with a couple of Classe monoblock dont need a subwoofer (for ME) to listen music.(and too with the combo SSP800&CA5200)
                      I agree. For music you don't need a sub, unless you listen to bass heavy music. If rap or dance music is your forte, I think you'd want a sub with just about any speaker.

When it comes to music, a sub is a must. I watched "The Dark Knight" last night last night and it has incredible bass. It will truely shake your room.

a room with acoustic-pannel or too only pannel give you more fun like a pair of JL with a incorrect "setup"...
                      Placement is critical when it comes to the sub. The idea is to have no localization, to balance the pressure in the room, and to reduce standing waves. One sub tends to be problematic and can cause null spots. Adding the second sub solves a lot of these problems. Some people even like 4 subs.

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

Comment

• beden1
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2006

:T :T

Style
                        The other benefit of having multiple subs in the system, is that it enables you to dial them in better with your specific speakers. I think most people tend to give their one sub too much gain/volume to compensate for the inefficient output with relation to the size of their room. This then adds to the sense of directionality as well as distortion.

One other issue of distortion actually comes from the interaction between the sub and your room. If the sub is really cranking and thus causing audible room vibrations, then this is a real negative effect. You can identify these culprits through EQ test tones. Once I found and remedied the numerous areas which were buzzing and rattling, etc., my bass cleaned up nicely.

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                          I agree with this. Upgrading from 1 sub to 2 subs made a BIG difference in my room for HT. With only 1 sub, bass was very localized and distracting. With 2, Its just there. I would not replace an amp right now. Wait until you get your SSP, since you are already planning the upgrade. If you are unhappy then, consider it. I don't like to change too many things at one time. You can't tell what had the greatest effect. You could buy the amp(s) now, but you might find if you hold off that you don't need them after you get the SSP.
                          Interesting, yes that might be a good idea holding off ntil I get the SSP-800 in the spring and then see if I need he amps.
                          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

Sure 2 sub make a difference... but is not so easy have a good "calibration" with the LFE and the 802D... the difference can be too contra and not to have better sound.
                            If they are in parallel yes but if one is the master and the other one the slave then it is not an issue.

It depends for multichannel audio symphonies the sub is a great addition.

A sub like the JLAudio Fathom 113 give you a lot of power and distortion ...a room with acoustic-pannel or too only pannel give you more fun like a pair of JL with a incorrect "setup"...Style
                            Did you ever listen to the F113? Distortion that's interesting

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

Thanks to all, it is interesting to read your opinions, I like what Sikoniko suggested get the SSP-800 and then see...

Comment

• style
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2006

Did you ever listen to the F113? Distortion that's interesting
                                Never heard JL F113 in a room in a normal/traditional and in an acoustically treated room?

The volume of f113 and the xover change drastically.... :W

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

Never heard JL F113 in a room in a normal/traditional and in an acoustically treated room? The volume of f113 and the xover change drastically.... :W
                                  So if you have never tried the product maybe you should not comment.

I evaluated the JL F113 against BW, Velodyne, REL subs and the JL Audio sounded a lot more musical than any other and with movies it is outstanding :T

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                    • Aug 2008

My vote goes to the second sub. As far as I know, the CAM400's are just a bridged CA2200 run in differentially balanced mode. 400 watts is way more than most people will ever use so unless you feel you are hitting the limits of your current amp, there is little need to buy more. Differentially balanced designs have a 3 dB lower noise floor, but again this is something that probably looks better on paper than having real-world impact on the sound. Do you feel your current CA amps sound noisy? I sure don't.

PS - I've listened to the CAM400's in my home, and went with the CA5100 instead.

YMMV

Comment

• wettou
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by AV-OCD
                                      My vote goes to the second sub. As far as I know, the CAM400's are just a bridged CA2200 run in differentially balanced mode. 400 watts is way more than most people will ever use so unless you feel you are hitting the limits of your current amp, there is little need to buy more. Differentially balanced designs have a 3 dB lower noise floor, but again this is something that probably looks better on paper than having real-world impact on the sound. Do you feel your current CA amps sound noisy? I sure don't.

PS - I've listened to the CAM400's in my home, and went with the CA5100 instead.

YMMV
                                      The sound is great with the CA-5200 but was wondering if the CAM-400 would sound better?

Comment

• alebonau
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Oct 2005

have you considered a decent all analog 2ch pre with ht bypass to take the 2ch side of your system to a whole another level ?

plenty of pretty decent types from moon to audio research to musical fidelity, mcintosh, krell, cary etc etc.

worth a shot in your system even if jsut to see yoru jaw drop

of av I'd upgrade on pre-pros to a proper new gen hdmi one with audyssey room eq. and yeah maybe add another sub if you feel lacking in that department. 2 subs can evne out the bass response in a room as well but trickier to setup

ps in the interim, if sticking wiht the integra, something like the 5000es worth a consider with its internal decoding of latest codecs and decent analog stage. as a 5000es owner can tell you its a pretty fine player
                                        "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• wettou
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • May 2006

Originally posted by alebonau
                                          have you considered a decent all analog 2ch pre with ht bypass to take the 2ch side of your system to a whole another level ? plenty of pretty decent types from moon to audio research to musical fidelity, mcintosh, krell, cary etc etc. worth a shot in your system even if jsut to see yoru jaw drop of av I'd upgrade on pre-pros to a proper new gen hdmi one with audyssey room eq. and yeah maybe add another sub if you feel lacking in that department. 2 subs can evne out the bass response in a room as well but trickier to setup ps in the interim, if sticking wiht the integra, something like the 5000es worth a consider with its internal decoding of latest codecs and decent analog stage.
                                          I don't do much two channel listening anymore, I like multichannel SACD to much. So a 2ch analogue would not do it for me, plus when I went to demo the Classé SSP-800 I was truly impressed. Spring 09 should be the new Classé SSP-800

I like the ideas of two sub I have to do more reading about that! Getting an other JLAudio F113 that would rock the house

Comment

• style
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Feb 2006

So if you have never tried the product maybe you should not comment.
                                            I evaluated the JL F113 against BW, Velodyne, REL subs and the JL Audio sounded a lot more musical than any other and with movies it is outstanding
                                            When (but when?) will the SSP800 at home you go make your New review...
                                            (with the sub throw out of the window)

Even if you dont have the Classe how do you judge? better to be silent ... return to sender :W

Style

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                              • Mar 2005

Ok, Since you don't listen to much 2Ch, go with another F113 now and the 800 in the Spring. I replaced my Velodyne DD18 with 1 F113. I felt it was an improvement, but wasn't a dramatic change. I then added another F113 and after moving the subs a couple times. It was a dramatic improvement. 2 Subs placed properly really smoothed out the bass response. I just added the Velodyne SMS to further work on the subs. I'm not convinced yet if that was a good move. I've got more work to do after the holidays since my room is currently in a different configuration for Christmas.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2007

I would get the SSP-800 first. If you feel you have to wait until the SSP-800 has the dual DSP engine to buy that, then maybe a second sub. The CA-M400's are a noticeable improvement over the CA-2200 (and by extension the CA-3200) but to do it right and get three is a big investment compared to the other upgrades. The CA-M400 is more open, has better speed and dynamics, and is smoother than the CA-2200/CA-3200.

Eric

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2003

have you considered a decent all analog 2ch pre with ht bypass to take the 2ch side of your system to a whole another level ?
                                                  how does one respond to this? :roll:

you mean the AVP1 isn't good enough at 2 channel that you have to supplement it with a dedicated 2 channel pre? I thought the AVP1 was suppose to be the holy grail?

Comment

• alebonau
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Oct 2005

how does one respond to this? :roll:

you mean the AVP1 isn't good enough at 2 channel that you have to supplement it with a dedicated 2 channel pre? I thought the AVP1 was suppose to be the holy grail?
                                                    I dont think I was responding to your holy self, so not really sure why you feel the need to respond :E

but in any regard have you ever heard a decent 2ch analog setup ? Have you ever tried a decent 2ch analog pre in your setup ?

I happen to have a separate 2ch rig which obviously you have some trouble comprehending. Not particularly sure why it is the avp is of concern to you to bring that up in this discussion?

I am yet to have even tried the avp for 2ch myself. I'm too busy enjoying for the wonderfull job it does for av !. However you would be suprised to know I have 3 friends with denon avps and one is using his for both 2ch and av. It provides a better result for him for 2ch than his krell 2ch analog pre. He infact compared the avp with not only his own krell but also a very well known $4k 2ch tube pre before deciding the avp was perfectly good for his needs. have another friend also using his denon avp for 2ch and av needs and a third who uses his avp for av and found his top level 2ch moon pre to provide a better result for 2ch. A case of Horses for courses and all these people have explored the options to decide whats best for themselves.

Which if you take your blinkers off and read my post is all I'm suggesting. On a design and engineering level the integra research av pre-pro though perfectly good for av leaves a lot to be desired for 2ch. for anyone with one of those and looking for improvements in 2ch. the first thing I'd suggest is to check out a 2ch analog pre to make gains in that regard. and the gains are not to be sniffed at in my opinion. But no need to take my word for it. Plenty of excellent options out there as I suggested, just a matter of trying out for yourself to make up your own mind

If looking at the denon avp for 2ch yeah most definitely do check it out. on a design and engineering level I am yet to see as good a 2ch analog implemetation as it has in any av pre-pro out there. Its dual power supplies its trully fully balanced dual differential configuration input to output, its very serious analog stages all put it in a completely different league. So yeah if looking for a 2ch/av pre most defintely something well worth checking out in my opinion.

Now sure siko for classe brand demagogs like yourself it is of little interest, but that I can understand :rofl:

In any regard siko I thought youd left this forum after the last time you flipped out :rofl: . you really do need to take your pills again siko as think you might be regressing some :

Comment

• wettou
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • May 2006

When (but when?) will the SSP800 at home you go make your New review...(with the sub throw out of the window) Even if you dont have the Classe how do you judge? better to be silent ... return to sender Style
                                                      Ok all I wanted was some genuine comments not a fight

In case you have not noticed, I have several post talking about my first hand experience with the Classé SSP-800 at my dealer with 802D and CA-5200 three times now and said that I was blown away by how good it sounded. This is why I am waiting until Spring once the new DSP chips and new software is in. :B

Comment

• alebonau
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Oct 2005

Ok all I wanted was some genuine comments not a fight

~
                                                        absolutely wetou, something I can certainyl see and gave genuine advise as have others. there are some within us I guess who do want to pick fights and have hidden agendas and axes to grind. and cant help them selves. doesnt really help you one little bit does it.

in the end regardless what anyone else says you will have the required fortitude to check things out for yourself and make your own considered judgements that I am sure

Comment

• style
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Feb 2006

The problem that all write what they have read, heard,... somewhere...
                                                          be as honest with themselves and recognize own limitations in life ... is a beautiful thing :E
                                                          When a technician reads the forum will make laugh for our thoughts ...
                                                          some real others are big illusions...
                                                          (I first)
                                                          L.Ron Hubbard
                                                          --------------------
                                                          wettou
                                                          the test from the SSP800 by your dealer was with???, exatly our room well??,
                                                          how much time?
                                                          Ok, nice wait the new codec...and than come with a new review....
                                                          ---------

I agree. For music you don't need a sub, unless you listen to bass heavy music. If rap or dance music is your forte, I think you'd want a sub with just about any speaker.
                                                          When it comes to music, a sub is a must. I watched "The Dark Knight" last night last night and it has incredible bass. It will truely shake your room
                                                          :T

Comment

• style
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Feb 2006

2x cam400 or 2x ca2200 in bi-amp. ?
                                                            I dont now but why a CAM and why a CA2200?
                                                            -------------
                                                            CDP300: pay our no but the player?
                                                            --> go direct to a Marantz 8002BD (in the depliant is the same like the Denon3800) or new pioneer bdplx91??
                                                            ----------------
                                                            McIntosh players = a Denon "maschine" with "only" pretty Box???
                                                            -----------------
                                                            waht for a unviversal remote controll for the Classe SSP800&CA5200&CDPxxx??

only the Philips Pronto ($. 1350.- in europa) or a possibility to have a new software for the "harmony serie's" ?
                                                            Style

-------------
                                                            already written at the time
                                                            the world's largest sub:

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Aug 2003

Now sure siko for classe brand demagogs like yourself it is of little interest, but that I can understand :rofl:

In any regard siko I thought youd left this forum after the last time you flipped out :rofl: . you really do need to take your pills again siko as think you might be regressing some :
                                                              let he who is without sin cast the first stone... I made no personal attacks against you.

In regards to your other comments. you're a lemming. you follow the trend and you change when the trend changes.

So you go ahead and defend yourself. I'm happy you have 2 dedicated single purpose systems. I doubt you are happy with either and will upgrade when the next big thing comes out and will attack others who differ in opinion to you again then. money can't buy you happiness.

Your recommendation doesn't fit this case because you don't comprehend wettous longterm goals. It shows your lack of knowledge to the SSP-800 and also that you don't really pay attention to what wettou is asking. It has nothing to do with Classe. It has to do with your need to show how smart you think you are. you don't listen to people very well.

Then again, perhaps if he were buying the Denon, he would want a dedicated 2ch preamp with HT-Bypass.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Oct 2005

let he who is without sin cast the first stone... I made no personal attacks against you.

In regards to your other comments. you're a lemming. you follow the trend and you change when the trend changes.

So you go ahead and defend yourself. I'm happy you have 2 dedicated single purpose systems. I doubt you are happy with either and will upgrade when the next big thing comes out and will attack others who differ in opinion to you again then. money can't buy you happiness.

Your recommendation doesn't fit this case because you don't comprehend wettous longterm goals. It shows your lack of knowledge to the SSP-800 and also that you don't really pay attention to what wettou is asking. It has nothing to do with Classe. It has to do with your need to show how smart you think you are. you don't listen to people very well.

Then again, perhaps if he were buying the Denon, he would want a dedicated 2ch preamp with HT-Bypass.
                                                                it actually shows just how little you know about me. Perhaps you dont realise I spent the last 4 years upgrading most of my components and the 2ch system I had prior to that I had owned for over a decade some components 12 years plus. On the AV side most I owned 5-6 years and some also leading upto 10 years plus which is pretty good for AV. How long have you owned your av equipment and the rest of your system. How often do you upgrade your equipment. I dont plan to upgrade most of my equipment in a very long time :T

I dont need to change with the wind, 2ch stuff can last a life time and stuff I own I plan to have a decade plus and some within it even a lifetime. Little do you know either I suppose just how content I am with the av equipment I have. I dont need to upgrade my av pre-pro with the wind It comes pre-loaded and denon are really great in offering upgrades to its owners as it did recently with audyssey and CEC control. In any regard it supports all the formats has everything in it I need. I love its sound. What more could I want.

Perhaps it is you who doesnt comprehend my long term goals. And realise that I infact am actually very content with what I have

In any regard. this thread isnt for me. neither is it for you. Its wettou's thread, perhaps youd realise that and respect that. I had no issue that some of my suggestions were not really what wettou was after. This thread is after all titled suggestions and feedback. I dont actually expect wettou to act like a lemming and jsut follow anyone blindly.

It is you who has a massive axe to grind and completely self obsessed to the point you just cant help yourself derail threads for your own purpose. Get over it. I really am not sure why the denon avp is such a massive thorn in your side that you must bring it up in every thread. Perhaps one day you will realise that there isnt jsut one way of doing things and everyone must find their own and that yours is not the only way...

anyways enough ! this is wettou's thread show him some respect rather than hijack it for your own petty small minded purposes !

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Aug 2003

it actually shows just how little you know about me. Perhaps you dont realise I spent the last 4 years upgrading most of my components and the 2ch system I had prior to that I had owned for over a decade some components 12 years plus. On the AV side most I owned 5-6 years and some also leading upto 10 years plus which is pretty good for AV. How long have you owned your av equipment and the rest of your system. How often do you upgrade your equipment. I dont plan to upgrade most of my equipment in a very long time :T

I dont need to change with the wind, 2ch stuff can last a life time and stuff I own I plan to have a decade plus and some within it even a lifetime. Little do you know either I suppose just how content I am with the av equipment I have. I dont need to upgrade my av pre-pro with the wind It comes pre-loaded and denon are really great in offering upgrades to its owners as it did recently with audyssey and CEC control. In any regard it supports all the formats has everything in it I need. I love its sound. What more could I want.

Perhaps it is you who doesnt comprehend my long term goals. And realise that I infact am actually very content with what I have

In any regard. this thread isnt for me. neither is it for you. Its wettou's thread, perhaps youd realise that and respect that. I had no issue that some of my suggestions were not really what wettou was after. This thread is after all titled suggestions and feedback. I dont actually expect wettou to act like a lemming and jsut follow anyone blindly.

It is you who has a massive axe to grind and completely self obsessed to the point you just cant help yourself derail threads for your own purpose. Get over it. I really am not sure why the denon avp is such a massive thorn in your side that you must bring it up in every thread. Perhaps one day you will realise that there isnt jsut one way of doing things and everyone must find their own and that yours is not the only way...

anyways enough ! this is wettou's thread show him some respect rather than hijack it for your own petty small minded purposes !
                                                                  blah blah blah

Comment

• wettou
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2006

Oh la la this is incredible, I would appreciate if we could keep this amicable, again I was looking for ideas not fights or war.

Anyway I like the suggestion to wait get the SSP-800 and then see if I want to get an other sub.

I am not sure what the CA-M400 would bring? Just an other 3db?

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2007

Oh la la this is incredible, I would appreciate if we could keep this amicable, again I was looking for ideas not fights or war.

Anyway I like the suggestion to wait get the SSP-800 and then see if I want to get an other sub.

I am not sure what the CA-M400 would bring? Just an other 3db?
                                                                      It's not about the volume, it's about the quality. The CA-M400 is a balanced amp. It uses the same two 200 watt amp modules that are in the CA-2200 in a balanced configuration. It's more open, faster, more detailed, and micro dynamics are much better.

Eric

Comment

• wettou
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                                                        It's not about the volume, it's about the quality. The CA-M400 is a balanced amp. It uses the same two 200 watt amp modules that are in the CA-2200 in a balanced configuration. It's more open, faster, more detailed, and micro dynamics are much better. Eric
                                                                        Understood but is it really $11,000 worth ?

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2007
                                                                          • 1532

You mean $5500.00 worth.

I just sold a pair to a customer that upgraded from a CA-2200 and his speakers are 803Ds. He has a CP-700 and a CDP-202 for the front end. The difference was not small in most areas (like what I mentioned above) but small in others (midrange smoothness, soundstage width). He thought it was worth it but you would have to listen for yourself and see.

Eric

Comment

• wettou
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                            • 3389

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                                                            You mean $5500.00 worth. I just sold a pair to a customer that upgraded from a CA-2200 and his speakers are 803Ds. He has a CP-700 and a CDP-202 for the front end. The difference was not small in most areas (like what I mentioned above) but small in others (midrange smoothness, soundstage width). He thought it was worth it but you would have to listen for yourself and see. Eric
                                                                            No I mean $11,000 for a pair :cry:

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2007
                                                                              • 1532

#39
                                                                              No I mean $11,000 for a pair :cry:
                                                                              I know they are $11,000.00 a pair, but it's $5500.00 more than a CA-2200 so it's a $5500.00 upgrade. That's what I was getting at.

Eric

Comment

• dmccombs
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2006
                                                                                • 306

#40
                                                                                When ever people post equipment recommendation questions, there is a certain person here that recommends that the person get 5x802D (or better speakers), all driven by CAM-400 amps, irregardless of the poster's requirements and prices limitations. :x

So, Wettou, I suggest you follow your own previous recommendations and get 5x802D (or better) and 5 CAM-400s. For the sub, of course dual Gothams are in order. :rofl:

Regards,
                                                                                Darrell

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2006
                                                                                  • 3389

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by dmccombs
                                                                                  So, Wettou, I suggest you follow your own previous recommendations and get 5x802D (or better) and 5 CAM-400s. For the sub, of course dual Gothams are in order. Regards,Darrell
                                                                                  With pleasure, I think 5 800D, 10 CAM-400 and 4 Gothamn, that way I will be like Abbey Road ;x(

I will do this as soon as the market rebounds and I find my shirt again :B

Comment

• dmccombs
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2006
                                                                                    • 306

#42
                                                                                    Option 1 will help the Front Speakers a bit. You could then double up 2 channels of the 5200 on the Center channel. I would think that would be noticible.

Option 2 will help the bass response. It will probably sound more authoritative and a little more defined.

I would opt for option one, given those two choices, but maybe the thing for you to decide is weather your L-C-R needs more than your bass.

The Prepro upgrade probably will be more noticeable than the two options you listed though. You alerady have a very nice setup.

Regards,
                                                                                    Darrell

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2006
                                                                                      • 3389

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by dmccombs
                                                                                      Option 1 will help the Front Speakers a bit. You could then double up 2 channels of the 5200 on the Center channel. I would think that would be noticible. Option 2 will help the bass response. It will probably sound more authoritative and a little more defined. I would opt for option one, given those two choices, but maybe the thing for you to decide is weather your L-C-R needs more than your bass. The Prepro upgrade probably will be more noticeable than the two options you listed though. You alerady have a very nice setup. Regards, Darrell
                                                                                      Thank you, yes I will do the SSP-800 upgrade first and then see if I need, (I mean want) the two other options.

Now I just need to be patient until spring 09 when Classé releases the upgraded SSP-800 just in time for the ice to melt :B

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2003
                                                                                        • 2299

#44
                                                                                        you can always ask to do an in home demo?

or, perhaps msm will swap out his CAM's for his CA-3200 and let you know his findings on the 802d's if he hasn't sold them.

but that won't negate the need for the ssp-800...

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                                          • 3389

#45
                                                                                          you can always ask to do an in home demo? or, perhaps msm will swap out his CAM's for his CA-3200 and let you know his findings on the 802d's if he hasn't sold them. but that won't negate the need for the ssp-800...
                                                                                          Yes, as I mentioned I will get a Classé SSP-800 in the Spring 2009 thanks:T

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"