X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • specialized
    • Apr 2008

Which SUB for my B&W?

Im trying to decide which way to go.. There is only one B&W ASW855 left on stock, and there is no chance to order other one.. It's cherry (my other speakers are rosenut), but if its good sub match to my setup then maybe i'll go for it.. Other option is to order PV1 (i plan two of them).

And third option some of the Canton Sub's (also two of them).

So which way.. One ASW855 (i wanted also second one, but as i said it's not possible to find another one), or to go with Two PV1 or Two Canton's?

I want to try to integrate Subs even for Pure Stereo Listening, so stereo music is primary thing (if it's good integrated for stereo then definitly is good enough for multichannel as well)..

What is u'r opinion?

1. One ASW855

2. 2 x PV1

3. 2 x Canton

Greetings

Darko
  • brunsje
    • Jan 2009

JL Audio

Recommend considering JL Audio subwoofers. They have models at several price points for all budgets.

I use two F112's and am very satisfied.

Cheers, JohnnyB

Comment

• specialized
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by brunsje
      Recommend considering JL Audio subwoofers. They have models at several price points for all budgets.

I use two F112's and am very satisfied.

Cheers, JohnnyB
      I would love to have a chance about famous JL Audio Sub's.. Bad thing is that is not available in this part of the world..

So please suggest me from my list

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• Horacio
        • Jan 2005

Darko,

Congrats on your decision! It's not easy to get past the paradigm that subs work well only for HT.

I suggest, though, that you get educated on the subject before spending your money. I'm no expert, but over time I came to realize there is more to subs and their integration than I thought. Example: do you plan to split the signal after the pre and send a limited signal to the amps and the rst to the sub, requiring an external x/o?

I have not heard the ones you list, so can't recommend from them. I do recommend JL Fathom F112 and F113 (Like Johnny), or larger RELs. I own a REL Storm III and, while I like it, if I were to get a sub now I would go with either of the proposed options. Another option is building DIY kits. At first I thought these would be cheap and underperforming units, but folks over at hometheatershack.com do some serious sub testing and found some kits do perform pretty well.

Hometheatershack is a good source of sub test data. Take a look and see if these units you list have been tested, and get a general feeling of which units they consider really good ones.

I share the same problem about living overseas and not having many brands available. I have found, though, ways to buy on Audiogon and have someone bring it into my country (for a fee).

Take your time!

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Darko ... I have not listened to the subs as per your list but I have a Velodyne DD15 which integrates well with my 3 x 802D frontend - crossing over at 60Hz for home-theatre duty. I'm as pleased as punch (pun intended). For best musical match, an idea might be to research the DD12.

I'm sorry that I cannot offer more advice other than to concur with what Horacio says and take your time (trawl forums, try to listen to whatever you can wherever you can, ask questions, etc.)

Good luck!

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

I've not heard the Canton woofers but I'd get the ASW855 over 2 PV1s any day of the week. The PV1 does sound good but even two of them can't keep up with an ASW855 in terms of output. The ASW855 is also very fast and musical. That's my two cents.

Eric

Comment

• jericho
              • Dec 2004

I'm using two ASW-855 & an ASW-825.
              Very good subs but I think the JL Audio Fathom 113 is superior to the B&W's

Comment

• 1oldguy
                • Dec 2008

I am selling my ASW855.Simply don't have the room for it.This Sub is NOS.
                It's new unused.IF Interested let me know.
                A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• specialized
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                  I am selling my ASW855.Simply don't have the room for it.This Sub is NOS.
                  It's new unused.IF Interested let me know.

PVT me..

Darko

Comment

• kmcheng
                    • Jan 2008

I have two PV1 paired with my 803D. I do not have a bass-heavy taste and I generally do not play them very loud. The two PV1 work very well in my case. The PV1 is surprisingly capable, unless the room is super-large.

I would agree that the ASW855 is a more powerful sub. For my taste, I prefer the balance of having two subs over the power of one big sub.

There is also the issue of how you are connecting the sub with the components and then calibrating the subs with the main speakers. For me that was a much more time-consuming exercise than deciding on the sub.

Comment

• BassThatHz
                      • Jul 2006

Upgraditis: it starts with one 10"...
                      Then two 15's:

Then eight 18's :f>

Anybody want my Velodyne HGS-10 Mk II 2007?
                      ... I "clearly" don't need it anymore :lol:

Got bass? :B

Comment

• Horacio
                        • Jan 2005

BassThatHz,

Very impressive picture. Not sure I would like to take a ride in your car, but I guess you can show this picture off with your buddies and brag till they drop asleep, ah? But, if this is what hi-fi is to you and you enjoy it, so be it. At the end of the day it's all about enjoy it.

Now, is it me, or those are bare cones without the cabinets? Wouldn't the cabinets in a subwoofer play a role? Why would you not want them?
                        Seems like you have no room treatments. Well, I'm really jumping to conclusions here as I see the front wall corners untreated, which ought to be one of the first areas to treat for bass response. Same with front wall first reflection points. Maybe you ought to think about room treatments...

Comment

• BassThatHz
                          • Jul 2006

Actually my truck just has a stock-radio, and a crappy one at that LOL

I just ordered room-treatments just the other day, and they are currently being shipped out.

Absolutely you would want cabinets for them, I just bought these drivers today.
                          I plan to make boxes for them next.

The reason I am making the subwoofers myself, is because I felt that no commercially available product was even "remotely" good enough quality-wise.

IMO you won't find "quality" bass with any small high-excursion woofer, excursion=distortion, so more surface area is required to get the same air displacement at lower excursion, to lower the distortion. So to obtain the quality of bass I was looking for at THX Ultra2 levels (and so-forth), I'm having to build it myself.

Comment

• Horacio
                            • Jan 2005

Aaahh!! I'll take that back, then. I misunderstood your picture. While having 8x18" subs might seem overkill from this end, if you are putting them in cabinets and treating the room, then it makes more sense to me.

Why did you go from 2x15" to 8x18" in one shot? Why not step by step?
                            What 18" drivers did you get?
                            What will you use to drive 8 subs?

FWIW: I also have the stock, rather crappie radio in my car.

Comment

• BassThatHz
                              • Jul 2006

My room has massive bass problems, of a level I have never seen before.
                              Normally these two 15's would rip a room in half, but not this one.

I tried finding the best subwoofer location, I tried everywhere... nope, nothing of what it should be. [ Except hanging them from the ceiling maybe ]

I already have 84 channels of parametric EQ from Behringer and Crown and $1000 worth of bass-traps (seriously).

So as a last resort, I'm now beating the drywall into submission with brute-force. Gotta show those nulls who's boss.

For the amp I'm probably going with a Crown I-Tech 8000, if I cheap-out maybe Behringer EP4000's.

The 15's are CSS SDX's.
                              The 18's are Exodus Audio Mal-X's.
                              Both/All of which have XBL^2 45lb magnets.

Check out this dude's Mal-X 21... He said: "it beats the 'other' subs." :lol:

Comment

• emig5m
                                • Aug 2008

I was thinking about replacing my Sunfire Signature EQ with a JL Audio Fathom then I read someones post about how they thought they must of been well into the point of diminishing returns with the Sunfire because the JL didn't seem any better and they had actually missed the Sunfire once he got rid of it....

I've had the new one for almost 2 week's now. I paid $2,000 (w/tax) for my Sunfire Signature EQ. I sold it on ebay for $1250 to help cover the cost of the Fathom. So I lost $750 on the Sunfire. With tax I paid $2900 for the Fathom F113. So, in order to have the Fathom in the house it cost me another $1650, I believe.

If I had to do it all over again, would I get rid of the Sunfire for the Fathom? NO! It's a nice sub, don't get me wrong. The Fathom sounds fantastic! But so did the Sunfire. I actually miss the Sunfire. The Sunfire is actually quite a bit smaller and that makes it easier to place-but you don't give up anything in performance. I run high end Boston Acoustic's and the Sunfire just blended in better with them than the Fathom does. Plus, Sunfire has technical support where JL Audio tell's you to talk to your dealer. That bites.
                                Now considering that every review in every magazine has proclaimed the Fathom F113 the best sub ever made, clearly I don't have a Golden Ear when it comes to subwoofer's. But I would say the laws of diminishing return's definitly applies to subwoofer's too, because I for one don't hear it. Let's put it this way-if my Fathom was stolen and the insurance company said they would replace it-I'd tell them to replace it with the Sunfire EQ Signature.Who know's, maybe my ear's like a twin woofer set-up better? I don't know. But if I knew then what I know now, call me crazy but cost aside I would still rather have the Sunfire. I miss that bad-boy. Why couldn't I have just left well enough alone ? I could have put that $1650 to much better use.
                                DVD Talk publishes no-nonsense movie news and information about home media, including - reviews, columns, interviews, and discussion areas.

Now I only paid $950 for the Sunfire (used) and think at the price I paid it is one hell of a bang-for-the-buck and think paying however many thousands more for a JL might just be a big waste of time for me? Think I'll pick up another used Signature EQ and run dual subs, heh....

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by emig5m
                                  I was thinking about replacing my Sunfire Signature EQ with a JL Audio Fathom then I read someones post about how they thought they must of been well into the point of diminishing returns with the Sunfire because the JL didn't seem any better and they had actually missed the Sunfire once he got rid of it....

DVD Talk publishes no-nonsense movie news and information about home media, including - reviews, columns, interviews, and discussion areas.

Now I only paid $950 for the Sunfire (used) and think at the price I paid it is one hell of a bang-for-the-buck and think paying however many thousands more for a JL might just be a big waste of time for me? Think I'll pick up another used Signature EQ and run dual subs, heh....
                                  I am a fan of two subs... I just added two Emotiva Ultra-12s to my setup. They were intended for when I finish my HT room in the basement. The new room is 19 x 24 ft and I knew my 804s didn't have the low end to fill that room for movies.

I decided to get them early because of the sale at Emotiva, and I put them in with my 804s in my current room. Even for music I find they blend very well. I am running them at a very low volume for music. They give that little bit extra down low..

I think by having two subs you can get better balance in your room and you can run them with less volume which IMO makes them a little tighter and more musical.
                                  Main System:
                                  B&W 801D
                                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                  Oppo BDP-105
                                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                  B&W CM7
                                  Emotiva UMC-1
                                  Emotiva UPA-2
                                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"