Has anyone driven the 802 using 1075 amp?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlueSander
    • Apr 2008

Has anyone driven the 802 using 1075 amp?

Just out of curiosity, I know everyone said the 802 (Nautilus or D) need tons of power, but have anyone really tried driving them with something as low as the 1075 amp?
    Thanks

PS: I'm in flame suit now :lol:
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Drove min with a 1077 for ages, and it went loud enough - without clipping - to piss off the neighbors, sounded pretty good too.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

BlueSander,

A 1075 can drive 802D's, but they will definitely be below their capability.
      A 1080 from Rotel's lineup would be a buch better place to start. Better current.

I also drove my 802D's with a 1077 (in passive bi-amp mode) for a short time. Sounded pretty good. When I jumped to a 200 watt amp, the performace jump was quite noticeable. Better bass, soundstage and depth.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• BlueSander
        • Apr 2008

Thanks guys, I'm getting my 802 tomorrow. can't be any more excited than this!!! however, the 1075 isn't driving my 803 to the limit yet, I'm afraid I will need a new amp a lot earlier than expected. after reading you guys' replies, I'm holding high hope that the 1075 will be able to drive my Nautilus 802 alright and make better sound than what i'm getting from the Nautilus 803. As long as that holds true, I will have some time to search for the next amp rather than running out, getting a new amp tomorrow.

Anyways, driving my sedan to pick up the 802, 805 and htm1. I don't know how well they will fit in my Audi A6.

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Nice speakers you are getting. Welcome to the 802 club.

Post some pictures when you can.

Also, the 1075 should be fine for the HTM1 and 805's. Look into an RB-1080 for the 802's. Good used ones can be had for about $600-$700 on Audiogon.

Comment

• BWzes03
            • Oct 2005

Indeed, HA! I can say 'welcome to the 802 club' as well, I'm driving them with a RB-1080 a piece, (bi-amping) While I auditioned them with one of my RB-1080's hooked up to a Marantz KI Pearl used as a pre-amp.

While the RMB-1075 can certainly power the 802, specially when its bi-amping, you will notice a big difference with a 1080, and again a big difference when using 2 RB-1080's.

Unfortunately I can not comment on the performance of a RB-1090 ....

Comment

• BlueSander
              • Apr 2008

Thanks guys. I'm not familiar to bi-amping at all. If I'm going that route, how do I get the same output from the processor to split to 2 amp? with all that extra speaker terminals, will I be able to have a center running together with my 802s?

1090 is not really an option anymore since the size is way too much. I can possibly do bi-amping using 2 1080 or just get the 1092 (this would requires another amp to power the center). Classe gears are nice but the price is a little on the steep side.

Comment

• htsteve
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

BlueSander,

Passive bi-amping simply requires extra amp channels and cabling. Once you have the amp channels (and a pair of 1080's would work), you need to split the signal from the pre-amp to the amp. The following will do the trick.

Then get another pair of RCA interconnects. You use one pair for each speaker into two inputs on the amp. Then run speaker wire from each amp channel, one to the mid/high and one to the low.

Given the quality and expense of your cables, this set-up can be more money that you might suspect.

However, having said this, I think there are better ways to get better performance.

I've bi-amped this way a couple of times. The resulting performance was improved. Not a big leap, but noticable. But after the expense I put into it, I didn't feel my price performance expectations were met.

I have also gone the route of 'bigger' more powerful amps (with more current) to drive my main speakers (N804's and then the current 802D's). After doing each way twice (bi-amp vs. bigger amp), I have the same conclusion each time. A bigger stereo amp for current hungry main speakers is the better way to go.

Therefore, I really like your idea of a 1092. It's small, quite powerful and would have the current to drive the 802's. And use your 1075 to drive the center and rears.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• BlueSander
                  • Apr 2008

Worst day in my life, agreed on selling my 803 for fund, rent a SUV, woke up at 6am ready for 5 hrs drive and the dude selling his 802 won't pick up the phone (like 20ish calls, 2 voiemail and 2 emails... no reply) . I'm pissed. :M

Comment

• htsteve
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Wow. Total Bummer. I hope it works out.

Comment

• BassThatHz
                      • Jul 2006

I must be completely off my rocker, you guy's are talking about bi-amping your B&W's and here I am quad-amping with RB-1091's and high-end Crown amps ~20,000 watts worth 8O
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

and just for you 2-ch freaks out there... you know who you are
                      A single RB-1092 ~1000watts : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66jzcnXF-so

Forget email, just show up at his door step with two bricks and a roll of duct tape, that's how it gets done around these waters :B

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"