McIntosh C-45 5.1 sound system for Blu-Ray?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tweir
    • Oct 2006

McIntosh C-45 5.1 sound system for Blu-Ray?

Just curious if anyone has put together a system like this. It seems that the processor is becoming the worst investment in a system these days. Like the mx136 retail was what 9k or 10k and can be had for 3k now used. Also the ssp600 from classe was 6k and now 2.5k or 3k used. We don't get the return for our money when it is time to upgrade to the latest hdmi 1. whatever. The standard is now 5.1 on dts ma. 7.1 there is not much content out there and there is no such thing as discrete 9.3 or 11.3. So this is why a simple 5.1 setup.

So the McIntosh c-45 stereo preamp has two 6 channel inputs that can be used for multi channel surround and 6 xlr outputs. I'll put together a couple of examples.

McIntosh C-45
    McIntosh MC-205
    B&W805d x4
    B&WHTM4d x1
    B&WDB-1 x1
    Pioneer BDP-09FD

The Blu Ray does not have to be the Pioneer it could be the flagship from denon as long as it has a good analog out section. By doing this you eliminate the need to get the latest processor every 4 to 5 years at a great lose of money. You run all audio to the c-45 and all video to the display. So if 3d becomes the next thing or Holographic video disc comes out with 4k and 6k resolution you just buy the new source and display.

Another one that is alot cheaper is the mackie studio monitors the hrm624mk2 or the hrm824mk2 this would be a internally bi-amped system and would eliminate the need for the amplifier even more savings.

Too me this is a great way to achieve good pure sound without all the room correction and video scaler in the processor that most of us don't use any way so why pay for it.

ALSO IF MY POSTING OF ANOTHER SPEAKER OTHER THAN B&W IS NOT ALLOWED I WILL REMOVE IT. THANKS.

Link to the Mackie.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tweir; 04 May 2010, 18:36 Tuesday.
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Yes I agree completely... I am using the analog outputs on my Blu-Ray and have found them to be outstanding. One drawback is that Blu-Rays tend to have a more limited setup for things like speaker distances etc. then a pre/pro. I can live with that though... I would rather have a good analog pre-amp and use the processing in the player...

Of course the big drawback of this is my DVR does not have analog outputs for 5.1.. So I still need some sort a pre/pro.. Once Emotiva gets the UMC-1 worked out it might be a really good option.

BTW the Oppo BDP83-SE is an outstanding player. I would put it against anything in the <$4000 range. It can be had for $900..
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Tweir
      • Oct 2006

Yea, you would not get the compressed dolby digital on the tv stations it would be in stereo only. The best you could do is get a benchmark dac or the cambridge dac magic to do the conversion. The pioneer has some of the best adjustment of levels and setting for the analog outs. Pretty cool...

Comment

• deepbluebda
        • May 2010

Tweir, I agree completely. I bought the Classe set - and I run analog from an Oppo - which ultimately is the one easier and cheaper way to upgrade my system - whilst keeping the sound to my liking for 2 channels and 5.1

Especially with HDMI upgrading so quickly, and 3-D on the horizon. Better to only upgrade the video side - albeit with the limitations on the DVR.

Anyone have thoughts on a McIntoch C45 / MC205 system versus the Classe SSP600 / 5200 for B&W?
        B&W SCM1 Rears
        Classe SSP600 PrePro
        Classe 5200 AMP
        Classe CDP300 CD/DVD
        Oppo BDP-83SE BluRay

Comment

• Tweir
          • Oct 2006

The ssp-600 at least has optical and coax inputs so the problem with getting the digital from the cable box is gone. Out of the two amps mc205 vs ca5200 I liked the bass of the classe better. My only complaint about the classe is the volume. It is not step for step, you turn it up then the sound follows. Other than that I would get the ssp600/ca5200 combo.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"