X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antonkk
    • Jan 2010

Anyone tried McIntosh 6900 with 802D?

I know it's not enough probably but can it at least give a decent sound until I upgrade to the big Macs?
  • iiaudio
    • Feb 2008

I haven't tried it, but at 200 watts/ch you should be fine. You might want to try the 4 ohm taps if the amp starts to run out of steam. Enjoy!!

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Antonkk,

I have 802D's as well. For a year, I drove them with the MC-205, a 200 watt X 5 amp. So the amplification will be very similar to the MA6900.

The MC205 will drive the 802D's very nicely. They offer lots of current and very good perfrmance. You will get better than decent sound.

I ultimately added an MC252 last year ( :T ) and early this year upgraded to the MC402 ( ;x( ). As one would expect, the performance has gone up with each move.

I also agree on using the 4 ohm taps. These were the best ones for me.

You will enjoy the MA6900.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Antonkk
        • Jan 2010

All right, I'm now firmly decided on 802D. The question is - what amp should I get as the final solution - Mac 402 or 501? The price is nearly twice as much for the 501's. Are they THAT better with 802D?
        Last edited by Antonkk; 27 April 2010, 02:37 Tuesday.

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Antonkk,

You say you are NOT decided on the 802D's. It's hard to answer the amp question without knowing the speakers it will drive.

Assuming it will drive the 802D's, I believe the 402 is the sweet spot for the 802D's. Before I bought them, I had a similar line of thinking. The 501 is a bit more powerful and a little quieter, but it does not deliver any more current than the 402.

So, in my opinion, the 402 is the better pick in this situation. The increase in performance is there with the 501, but the price difference is definitely more than that (IMO). The 402 drives the 802D's amazingly well. The depth and width of the sound is truly amazing. If one has a really large room and maybe 800's/801's, then the 501 might be a good amp to look at.

Hope this helps.
          Last edited by htsteve; 27 April 2010, 07:57 Tuesday.

Comment

• Antonkk
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by htsteve
            Antonkk,

You say you are NOT decided on the 802D's. It's hard to answer the amp question without knowing the speakers it will drive.

Assuming it will drive the 802D's, I believe the 402 is the sweet spot for the 802D's. Before I bought them, I had a similar line of thinking. The 501 is a bit more powerful and a little quieter, but it does not deliver any more current than the 402.

So, in my opinion, the 402 is the better pick in this situation. The increase in performance is there, but the price difference is definitely more than that (IMO). The 402 drives the 802D's amazingly well. The depth and width of the sound is truly amazing. If one has a really large room and maybe 800's/801's, then the 501 might be a good amp to look at.

Hope this helps.

Htsteve, I'm sorry, it was a one letter typo - instead of NOW I printed NOT (allready corrected this in my original post). I AM fully decided on 802D and thanx a lot for you analysis! :T

Comment

• htsteve
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Antonkk
              Htsteve, I'm sorry, it was a one letter typo - instead of NOW I printed NOT (allready corrected this in my original post). I AM fully decided on 802D and thanx a lot for you analysis! :T
              I figured that was the case. You will love the 802D's, expecially mated with such high performance amps (and that includes the 6900).

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"