X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shinnosuki
    • Sep 2007

Upgrading to 805s with MA6900?

Hey guys! Can anyone help me out here? Seeing that the 805s are affordable at this point, I'm thinking about getting a complete new system.

With my current system now:
    -Rotel RSP-1068
    -Rotel RMB-1077
    -B&W 705

At first I was thinking that the RMB-1077 will future proof me if I do go into HT, but as times go by I find myself listening to music more than anything! So I'm looking for solely for music purposes and looking into integrates.

So what do you guys think? 805s with a MA6900? Or should I go with a Classe CAP-2100 since its cheaper? My budget is about 5k, so any other recommendations would be appreciated as well.

And also I know these threads have showed up a lot with B&W and amp combo's and I apologize for it, but there's just not much out there about the MA6900 :cry: and of course the common thing to do is demo them myself and see what works best, but unfortunately my dealer doesn't carry Mac gear
  • Horacio
    • Jan 2005

While I have not heard that combo, I bet it would be fantastic. The Classe will be very good too, and at that point choosing one or the other is about preferences rather than good/bad or even better/worse.

I own 804S and used to have a Rotel RB1080, and went out listening to Classe and Mc separates and preferred the Mc sound. But then, within the same price range, I also preferred the tubed MC275 to the solid state MC252. I think tubes and that aluminum tweeter in the 804 (and 805) work very well together. While you are at it you might want to check out the Mc 2275 integrated, which is the same amp section as the 275 and pretty much same preamp section as the C220. Very nice unit too.

Either way, you will experience music in a VERY different way. Enjoy!

Horacio

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Shinnosuki,

I agree with Horacio. Either the MAC or Classe will be quite good. I'm partial to the Mac's.

The power of the 6900 would be quite excellent to drive the 805's.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Not exactly the same exact specs as you mentioned but last summer I had a pair of N805's with a McIntosh MA6800. I absolutely loved it! Silky, smooth, so articulate! I've never had the chance to audition Classe at home, so I'm not THAT THAT familiar with Classe (aside from always hearing them at the dealers')
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Shinnosuki
          • Sep 2007

thanks for all your input guys..i went to my local dealer today attempting to experience the cap-2100 but they were closed during operation hours which was weird..hopefully they're not closed forever..so im kinda stuck atm..

I do have a question for audioqueso, after using the ma6800, what did you end up using after??

The love how everyone describes their mac gear, about its wideness, dynamics, and smoothness..and that's something i would hope for in my system..i guess what i really wanna know is a general comparison between classe vs mac, and any input from those that have switch from one to another and why would be appreciated greatly!

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

When I had the MA6800, I had it to compare against Emotiva. It was McIntosh vs Emotiva. I ended up sticking with the Emotiva amp.

From what I remember, Classe is airy. Mac and Classe have a different sound. My recommendation, I wouldn't try to A/B the two back to back. I would just take the time and enjoy Classe for a day, then McIntosh for another day and see which sound you prefer.
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"