Upgrading from Paradigm Reference to B&W . . .

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NMG
    • Oct 2004

Upgrading from Paradigm Reference to B&W . . .

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can guide me a little bit here. I'm currently looking at whether to get into 5.1 or upgrage my current 2 channel system. I'm looking at B&W speakers for my possible 2 channel system upgrade and I thought perhaps you could share some of your expertise.

My current system consists of Paradigm Studio 80's and a PW-2200 sub. I am using the high pass filter on my sub so that the 2200 handles the low bass demands. I was initially looking into the 700 series for the new speakers and was wondering if, generally speaking, they would be considered enough of an upgrade to warrant the price of them? I wasn't sure if the 600 or CM series would be enough of an upgrade to warrant the investment so that is why I haven't really looked at them thusfar. If you think there are some models in those lines that would be worth considering, by all means throw them at me.

The 2 main options I was considering are:

1) The 705's combined with either an ASW series sub or my PW-2200
    2) The 703's combined with my PW-2200 (if needed).

I didn't really consider the 704's because I was thinking that the 705's with a sub could likely sound as good if not better while being a better alternative price wise if I could incorporate my PW-2200 into the mix. If my logic is flawed here, let me have it If the PW-2200 would not blend well with the 700 series, I'd rather go to the 703's and get into a 3 way speaker instead of the 2.5 way 704's.

I guess I have a couple of "deciding" factors. The first is whether my PW-2200 would be a decent match with these speakers. I know it can go low enough, but my main concern is whether it would be quick enough. The second is trying to decide if there is any significant advantage to going with the 703's over the 705's and an ASW series sub? I would assume that the latter combination would have better extension despite the smaller main speakers. Would there be some sacrifice when it comes to mid-bass response with this combo?

I would be using a Rotel RB-1080 to power the speakers. Musical tastes are pretty much everything. I do listen to a fair bit of music with lots of bass so I don't think I would be happy without a sub in the system, unless the 703's on their own had really great extension. Any advice you can throw my way or any other considerations you think I should look at would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

NMT,
    I guess I have a couple of "deciding" factors. The first is whether my PW-2200 would be a decent match with these speakers. I know it can go low enough, but my main concern is whether it would be quick enough. The second is trying to decide if there is any significant advantage to going with the 703's over the 705's and an ASW series sub? I would assume that the latter combination would have better extension despite the smaller main speakers. Would there be some sacrifice when it comes to mid-bass response with this combo?
    The PW-2200 is a nice sub – IMO (and based on specs) better than the B&W ASW 700 and arguably right up there in sound quality with the B&W ASW750 (which is a little Tighter at loud volumes) You should be fine with it...

There are big differences sound wise between the B&W 705s and 703s - the 2-way 705s are very clean, very nice and will blend well with a sub - but they are two ways... The 703s with the FST Midrange have a quite different, more upfront midrange sound and overall are able to play louder and are more dynamic. I like the 703s over the 705s a lot and I suspect you will coming too from your Studio 80s which are three ways...
    However they are a lot more $ and I really recommend that you listen to the two and compare. Book a time with your dealer and bring in some high quality CDs you know well. A half hour to an hours comparative listening and you will be sure what you want... Not to do this could be an expensive mistake - since the sounds are IMO so different...

PS - I wouldn't even consider the 600 series - I would have trouble arguing that they are a worthwhile step-up from your Studio 80s

Geoff
    Last edited by Aussie Geoff; 21 October 2004, 23:34 Thursday.

Comment

• NMG
      • Oct 2004

Thanks for your response Aussie Geoff, lots of good info there for me to consider. I think I will heed your advice and listen to both the 705's and 703's before making any decision. It sounds as though the differences are greater than I had thought they would be. I expected the 703's to perform much better on the bass side of things, but it sounds as though the midrange is also quite different . . . which I didn't expect.

Also thanks for the words of advice regarding my PW-2200 and the 600 series speakers. I want to make sure that any money I drop will result in a "tangible" upgrade, so it is nice to know where the most upgrade potential will lie.

Thanks again!

Comment

• Twincam
        • Feb 2004

Good comments by Geoff (as always)

If you can afford it, go for the 703. That FST midrange helps to produce a beautiful sound. I listened to the 703s connected to a RC1070 / RB 1080 combo, and the sound was very good. Not extremly bass-heavy (same goes for my 804s), but a very clean and natural soundstage. Without doubt worth the the extra $ compared with the 704.

Kindly regards

TC

Comment

• jlee
          • Aug 2004

I pretty much agree with everything said... 703 is worthwhile upgrade over 705... I'm personally not a fan of the 704... sounds like a 705 with more bass but with more cabinet resonance... which is distracting. In a way, I like the 705 better than the 704. And 600 series is just not very musical to my ears... agree with Geoff it's not an upgrade over what you have.

Comment

• hired goon
            • Aug 2004

G'day,

Originally posted by NMG
            My current system consists of Paradigm Studio 80's and a PW-2200 sub.
            I've been looking for new speakers, and B&W and Paradigm are on my list. I'd be interested in hearing why you don't like the Studio 80s. I'm hoping to check out the Studio 60 v3 and Studio 100v3 tomorrow, so any thoughts on the Paradigm range would be welcome.

I also second the 703 over the 705, but since you've got a decent amp, I'd also recommend giving the 805s a try. These are bookshelf speakers like the 705s, so they don't go as low as the 703s (so you'll need to use your sub on occasion), and nor do they have the same mid-range (which means they match with a different centre speaker, the HTM2, rather than the superior and much more expensive HTM1).

But, on the plus side, the 805s cost less than the 703s, and the imaging, soundstage, and clarity are superior to the 703 (in my opinion) and they are worth a listen.

-- Geoff

Comment

• NMG
              • Oct 2004

Thanks for the continued feedback everyone, it is helpful.

hired goon, I actually enjoy my Studio 80's and PW-2200 ALLOT. I guess right now I'm in one of those "I need an upgrade" type moods that often hits people in this expensive hobby I haven't done much with my audio stuff in the last couple of years since I was focused on getting an HDTV to replace my 20 inch Sony Trinitron first . . . boy am I glad I did that!

I'm now considering a third option and that is picking up a Rotel RC-1070 preamp to try with my current system before getting new speakers. I'm currently using my old Yamaha integrated amp as the preamp in my system and I'm failry sure that the 1070 would be a good upgrade in these regards. That upgrade alone may be enough to keep me satisfied for a little while, at much less cost. Truth be told, I don't actually need new speakers, it's just one of those things that would be nice to have. I figured since I wanted to upgrade, there was no point getting a little better . . . I might as well look at stuff that would be considered quite a bit better.

Sonically, I like the Paradigm Studio's allot. They no longer make the 80's and at the time I got a really good deal on them otherwise I wouldv'e got the 60's. I didn't have a sub at the time so I wanted something with better bass extension and the 80's trumped the 60's in these regards. The 60's are a beautiful speaker. The 100's are also very good but I think they are more suited for larger rooms. In a smaller room I honestly think they can be too overhwhelming on the bottom end, for my tastes anyway. If I were buying Studio's again, I would go with either the 60's and a sub or the very popular 40's and a sub. The PW-2200 would mate very well with either of these and the Servo 15 would do even better. I haven't heard the new Seismic series so I can't comment on those. I think you'll find that the Studio's are a very capable speaker and they are a great value for the price (at least here in Canada).

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Comment

• MICHAEL STRO
                • Oct 2003

I upgraded from studio 60's with a ps1000 and pw2200 subs ,to 703's ,HTM7 and just ordered a svs PB12 ULTRA :T

Comment

• mikeyc
                  • Sep 2004

NMG: I just auditioned speakers yesterday (in Toronto no less!). Used Rotel gear (1075/1068 with a Denon 2910) started with the Studio 100s vs the 600 series and the Digms were really much better. The old 600 series are basically old technology and B&W has really improved their sound with the 700s. Here's where the B&Ws really shone. I have a different opinion than most of the folks here, I thought the smaller 705s had better imaging and soundstaging than the larger 703s. The smaller cabinet with a simpler crossover means that there is a purer sound. When matched up with a nice sub like the Digm Seismic, the sound was truly wonderful.

Comment

• NMG
                    • Oct 2004

Thanks for that info. I just bought a new preamp and I don't expect to be upgrading speakers anytime soon (unless another case of "upgradeitis" comes up . . . LOL), but I'm still keeping the 700's in the back of my mind.

I had a brief listen to the 705's this weekend and they sounded very nice! I was really impressed with the soundstage and how they just seemed to throw the music out. Very nice sounding speaker. I suspect I could handle a set of those with a sub just fine. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to listen to the 703's but I plan to check them out at my local dealer when I get some free time. It was also impressive how the finishing on the cabinets of those spealers was nicer than any furniture I own

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"