X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rgbyhkr
    • Sep 2009

MM-1 Computer Speakers

For those interested, the MM-1 computer speakers have been listed in the US Apple online store with immediate availability:

As expected, retail price is $499.95

Jeff
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by rgbyhkr
    For those interested, the MM-1 computer speakers have been listed in the US Apple online store with immediate availability:http://store.apple.com/us/product/TX...co=MTY3ODQ5OTY
    As expected, retail price is $499.95 Jeff
    On line only not in stores yet
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• junior77blue
      • Nov 2004

Has anyone actually heard these yet? $500 seems like an awful lot for these speakers.

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by junior77blue
        Has anyone actually heard these yet? $500 seems like an awful lot for these speakers.
        Like the Zepplin
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• KyaDawn
          • Mar 2008

I think the Zeppelin is actually worth it. Besides as my iPod dock, I also use it as my computer speakers and it's great. I have set on top of a stack of hard drives so it peers right over my laptop screen. For other set-ups that perhaps want more flexibility in speaker placement, the MM-1 might be a better choice, but there is no way it will have the sound quality of the Zeppelin. I also use my Zeppelin as the music player when I have friends over and we do a barbecue on the roof. The sound quality is great even outdoors, and the relative portability of it makes it even better.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

They actually sound really, really good. Bass was incredible with no sub. They're essentially M1's with a built in EQ'ed amp.

Kevin D.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

It will be interesting to do an M1 vs a Zepplin

Comment

• KyaDawn
                • Mar 2008

I'd love to hear the MM-1's, but just looking at specs, it's a two-way speaker with two 1" tweeters and two 3" woofers in the pair, while the Zeppelin is a three-way speaker with a two 1" tweeters, two 3.5" mid-range drivers, and one 5" woofer. I think that alone should give the Zeppelin a boast in sound quality.

I have heard the Zeppelin Mini, which is a one-way speaker with two "full-range" 3" drivers, and the sound was not comparable to the original Zeppelin at all. It lacked much of the original Zeppelin's tonal balance across the frequency spectrum, as well its convincing bass. Having heard them side-by-side, the Zeppelin makes the Mini sound almost like a transistor radio. Compared to most iPod docks, the Mini is probably superior, but the Zeppelin is in a different class altogether.

I expect the MM-1 to be superior to the Mini, but I'm doubtful it could match the fidelity of the Zeppelin. As I mentioned before, it does have the advantage of allowing flexible speaker placement, and can also connect to the PC via USB (which the original Zeppelin can't) amongst other features, so it has its upsides as well. It's also much more portable for traveling, etc. Simply it's designed for a different use, but if we're just talking about sound quality, I would be very impressed if it bettered the Zeppelin. In any case, can't wait to hear it for myself! :B

Comment

• rgbyhkr
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                  I'd love to hear the MM-1's, but just looking at specs, it's a two-way speaker with two 1" tweeters and two 3" woofers in the pair, while the Zeppelin is a three-way speaker with a two 1" tweeters, two 3.5" mid-range drivers, and one 5" woofer. I think that alone should give the Zeppelin a boast in sound quality.

I have heard the Zeppelin Mini, which is a one-way speaker with two "full-range" 3" drivers, and the sound was not comparable to the original Zeppelin at all. It lacked much of the original Zeppelin's tonal balance across the frequency spectrum, as well its convincing bass. Having heard them side-by-side, the Zeppelin makes the Mini sound almost like a transistor radio. Compared to most iPod docks, the Mini is probably superior, but the Zeppelin is in a different class altogether.

I expect the MM-1 to be superior to the Mini, but I'm doubtful it could match the fidelity of the Zeppelin. As I mentioned before, it does have the advantage of allowing flexible speaker placement, and can also connect to the PC via USB (which the original Zeppelin can't) amongst other features, so it has its upsides as well. It's also much more portable for traveling, etc. Simply it's designed for a different use, but if we're just talking about sound quality, I would be very impressed if it bettered the Zeppelin. In any case, can't wait to hear it for myself! :B
                  My experiences with the 2 Zeppelins and anticipations about the MM-1 are pretty similar to yours. I have owned the original Zepp since it's launch in 2007 and tested out the Mini for a couple of weeks before returning it. Perhaps spoiled by the original, I felt that the Mini sacrificed too much in output. I would have traded a larger physical footprint for better performance.

From my conversations with B&W reps and looking over the specs, the MM-1 should fit in between the 2 Zeppelins. Less output than the full size, but more than the Mini. Plus, you're gonna get better soundstaging via the ability to separate the 2 channels further apart and tweak that distance for your particular setup and use. I'm trying to temper expectations about bas response given the small size of the satellites, but I am intrigued by comments I've seen. Hopefully, it will be just enough. I have a set ordered and look forward to taking delivery on Tuesday.

Jeff

Comment

• KyaDawn
                    • Mar 2008

I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of the MM-1 after you receive them. Congrats on the new purchase, by the way! Having had extensive use of both Zeppelins, I'm interested in hearing how you compare the MM-1 against them. I believe both the original Zeppelin and the MM-1 has drivers based on the MT series, particularly the M-1. Not sure about the Mini though.

One thing about the MM-1s that it has going for them is they look fantastic! They are by far the best looking computer speakers I've seen. And they look FAR better than the sat/sub combo that I've seen from Focal.

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                      I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of the MM-1 after you receive them. Congrats on the new purchase, by the way! Having had extensive use of both Zeppelins, I'm interested in hearing how you compare the MM-1 against them. I believe both the original Zeppelin and the MM-1 has drivers based on the MT series, particularly the M-1. Not sure about the Mini though.

One thing about the MM-1s that it has going for them is they look fantastic! They are by far the best looking computer speakers I've seen. And they look FAR better than the sat/sub combo that I've seen from Focal.
                      I didn't think Focal where that great try Genelec for the same price range

Comment

• Freddie40
                        • Jun 2009

I am listening to the MM1 speakers now. I love them. Compared to the iSticks that are now in my closet they have much better bass and treble, but the really nice thing is that they are very clear. They are about as loud as the iSticks. A definite winner
                        Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• iabyss
                          • Jan 2010

Hi guys, take a look at MM-1 review
                          The Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 is the company's first ever speakers designed specially for use with computers. We take a listen to see if it justifies its exorbitant price tag.

Comment

• Hammie
                            • Oct 2005

I've been wanting some better computer speakers for a while. The ones I have used in the past are currently being used with our little kitchen TV since it has a weak mono speaker. They came free with a computer so you can imagine the quality. Perfect for the kitchen TV, not so good for listening to music while on my computer.

Anyway, without further adieu... I present the newest member of the Hamilton family. The Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Computer Speakers.

They came very well packaged in the box. Here is a shot of what comes with them.

Here is another shot with everything unwrapped. You have two speakers, a USB cable, a 3.5mm audio cable, power supply, and remote control.

Here is a close up of the speaker. The brushed aluminum and black cloth finish is beautiful!

Finally, a shot with everything all setup.

First impressions are that they are very bright out of the box. However, with only an hour or so of burn-in, they are sounding much better. These are designed after the B&W Zeppelin, which I also own, so I had an idea of what they would sound like. The main difference between these and the Zeppelin are that these do not have the 5" woofer that the Zeppelin has. However, even without the 5" woofer, they sound great. They are perfect for what I will be using them for. I don't need the deep bass while listening to music on my laptop.

Fast forward about 4 hours and here are my thoughts.

I like them, but I guess it depends on how important really low bass is for your computer. It is lacking there, but the mids are tight as h3ll!!!

The fact that they have their own DSP and is by-passing my laptops built-in processor is sweet. It is hard to compare what I was using to these because the whole setup is different. My old ones still relied on the computer's audio processor, while the B&W's do everything themselves.

The speakers are powered by a power brick similar to a laptop. That is sort of my only complaint. I need to be by a power source when using them. Not a huge deal, just not something that was noted on any literature or review that I read. Though if I really thought about it, a USB would never be able to power these properly.

I have been letting them just sit and play my library while I work in the basement. They seem to be sounding better every time I come upstairs.

I think the biggest surprise was the size. My laptop is a 17" version, so it gives you an idea of the size. They are about 7" tall and 4" wide and deep.

Also, it comes with a pebble remote that controls iTunes even when it is not the program in the foreground. I always hated that the volume/pause/FF/REW buttons never worked unless iTunes was the active window.

I would say that this purchase goes to 11. :headbang:

Now that they have been playing for almost 24 hours, they sound better than ever. Right now I'm listening to Evanescence and they sound great. The lack of low bass that I mentioned previously is gone. The ultra low rumble in 'Bring Me to Life' is back. Highs are crystal clear and mids are still tight and accurate.

I am SO happy I purchased these.

Additionally, they have a headphone jack which really makes a difference between the computer audio out and these speakers. I tried both my Denon 710 in ears and my Denon D2000's over the ear 'phones while listening to some Who and they were INCREDIBLE! Now I know why people get external headphone amps/DAC's.
                            Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                            Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                            Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                            Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                            B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                            Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                            My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                            Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• audioqueso
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

Ah, so they're USB speakers, huh? They have their own DAC and all, right? I didn't know that. Nice review. Thanks Hammie.
                              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Hammie
                                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by audioqueso
                                Ah, so they're USB speakers, huh? They have their own DAC and all, right? I didn't know that. Nice review. Thanks Hammie.
                                Yes, USB is preferred. However, they do have an Aux in port if you do not want to use the internal DAC.

B&W uses DAC's in conjunction with a Digital Signal Processing (DSP) to create a far better sound than your computer output. This is one of the reasons why they go for $500 versus some of the other brands that still rely on the analog out from the computer.

Additionally, they have a 4x18W digital amp installed in the right speaker. The top of that speaker can get quite warm.

If you have ever compared the Zeppelin to the Zeppelin Mini, these speakers are probably right in between them sound wise. Not as much bass as the Zeppelin, but since there are two separate speakers, they have far better separation of sound. Does that make sense?
                                Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• ray5
                                  • Dec 2008

After many more months, what's the opinion on these now? Are the concerns voiced like "good near field but poor far off" hold any water? Am considering these for my setup. Appreciate any comments.
                                  Ray

Comment

• htsteve
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Sep 2004

Ray,

I just happen to have gotten a set of these. I am using them in our family room, which is 12 X 15 with vaulted ceiling. As I write, I'm about 10 feet away from them.

They are wonderful little speakers. Better said, these are very nice speakers period. They sound very good both close up and far away. They have no problem filling a decent sized room.

Also, the bass is pretty amazing considering the size.

Hope this help.

Comment

• Hammie
                                      • Oct 2005

After using them for over 5 months regularly, they still sound amazing. I have moved them to my Mac Mini setup because it was easier than always moving them around for my laptop.
                                      Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• ray5
                                        • Dec 2008

Thanks.
                                        Ray

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"