X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlakeN
    • Jul 2005

Looking for Low cost computer speaker ideas

I tried searching for computer speakers but didn't find anything. I want to build a 5.1 system for my computer and I wanted to know if anyone had any links to similar projects. They will be used for 100% gaming related. Some RPG games have some great sound tracks so I don't want super crap speakers but after looking at what is considered "high end" computer speakers and the build quality I am convinced I can build something much better for close to the same amount of money. I will be driving the speakers with a Yamaha rx-v596 http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi...VR00010RX-V596 .
    I was leaning to MT and was thinking of building a crossover network in the subwoofer so the satellite speakers could be smaller. They also need to be shielded.

Budget is about $200 for speakers and crossovers or lower if possible. The $200 does not include cabinet cost (I can sneak that by the wife in small increments) or subwoofer cost.

Thanks
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

I have been really wanting to try out those new bamboo Tang-Band drivers. They look really sharp and I suspect would sound pretty good. Not top shelf audiophile stuff straight-up but the 3" drivers really should do quite well. Even the 4" look to have decent top end response, and they would match up with those slick $4 Dayton Neo tweeters very nicely indeed!

The Titanium T-B looks interesting too.

At any rate, Roman B just posted up a design you may be interested in using one of these (don't remember which it is at the moment). Check the PE board.

For a sub, the little 6.5" T-B sub might be a good match. I would be tempted by the Extremis also though it's definitely more pricey.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• GrahamT
      • Oct 2004

For that application and budget check out the Tang Band W3-871, Hivi B3n/s and the Aura NS3. I've heard all of them and they would work fine without a tweeter for comp speakers. But there are MT designs using them, Zaphaudio has a couple. http://www.zaphaudio.com/

What is the sub budget?

Comment

• BlakeN
        • Jul 2005

I havent decided on the sub yet but probably about $150 or less. That should be plenty for the 70w daton plate amp and a decent 8" subwoofer. I have a powered sub from long ago that I can use for now. I worked at RadioShack when I was in college and picked up thier 12" 250w powered sub on clearence with a 25% discount ontop of that. I think I paid just over $100 for it. Its muddy and boomy but for computer game explosions I think it will do fine for a while. This system won't be played very loud I just want to start taking advantage of 5.1 games and EAX.

Thanks a lot for the links I will check them out. I don't think I have ever even looked at the PE board before. ops:

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

I use a set of surround headphones. Others in the house = game noises are NOT played through speakers.

C

Comment

• sliceofhogan
            • Aug 2005

Maybe these? http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/index_en.htm
            Sorry can't link directly, look for ct209 or ct218 --> pc 5.1 speaker using TangBand

Comment

• BlakeN
              • Jul 2005

The Hi-Vi B3S single driver system from zaph audio looks interesting and the HiVi juniors at Parts Express http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...ors/index.html

The bandit design http://www.rjbaudio.com/Bandit/bandit.html looks very interesting but it doesn’t look like he has actually built them, everything is simulated.

Has anyone here ever tried a dual-reflex using a full range speaker? Its a cool idea. Would it be possible to build a dual-reflex arround the hi-vi B3s?
              Last edited by BlakeN; 27 September 2005, 17:02 Tuesday.

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

Roman has a good track record. I would trust it. So I would have no hesitation going with the Bandit.

Additionally, this is a simple compensation circuit and not a full crossover: there is basically no risk that it will not work as planned.

C

Comment

• BlakeN
                  • Jul 2005

Is there any newb user friendly software that would help me model out a dual-reflex using the Hi-Vi B3s? Or any suggested reading. To be honest I don't know very much about speaker design but I can follow instructions like crazy

Thanks guys

Comment

• Dotay
                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by BlakeN
                    The bandit design http://www.rjbaudio.com/Bandit/bandit.html looks very interesting but it doesn’t look like he has actually built them, everything is simulated.
                    I really like the look of that new TB driver but would it alone sound any better than say the Microbe that he has posted on his site that uses the RS125 and TB tweeter? It is roughly the same cost ~120 vs ~150, has roughly the same cabinet dimensions 11X6.5X8.5 for the Microbe and 11.5X7X7 for the Bandit.

I am interested in starting my first DIY speaker project (just finishing up my Avalanche 15" sub :T) and I feel like a set of computer/bedroom speakers would be a good place to start. I really want them to be as small as possible and it seems like the TB speaker could have a singinificantly smaller enclosure than what he has designed. I really know next to nothing about speaker design (still in the reading and researching phase) so what am I missing here? Would the TB speaker bennefit from having an inexpensive tweeter? If so how would this theoretically compare to the Microbe? I think the TB in either an ultra small sealed enclosure (maybe a 6X6X6 cube) or in a similar size enclosure to what he as already designed for with the addition of a tweeter would make a cool computer speaker if mated with my soon to be out of work Dayton 10" sub.

Would changing the dimesions of the cabinet to something that small totally kill the performance? How about the tweeter addition?

Comment

• cjd
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

Cabinet size is generally done according to T/S specs. A sealed box can often be much smaller. A pure cube is usually a not so good idea though (all dimensions the same = too much of the same distance for baffle step/diffraction and any internal reflections/standing wave issues, etc.)

A tweeter would require additional crossover components.

The Microbe looks to be a pretty decent little project.

You have all the right questions. Now, you have to answer them for yourself.

C

Comment

• Dotay
                        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by cjd
                        Now, you have to answer them for yourself.
                        Doh! :B

Are there any good free/easy to use programs that I would be able to use to see what the chages I would make to the cabinet design of the TB would do to the response curve?

Comment

• TacoD
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Feb 2004

Unibox is a free Excel "program". http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/boxmodel/unibox.htm

Comment

• mnmufon
                            • Jan 2008

Acoustic Research ARXP52

You could try the Acoustic Research ARXP52, which can be had for $60/pair. The sound is good, but can be improved with some xover mods. Here is the xover schematic:
                            Joel Henry
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Operandi
                              • May 2007

Five speakers for less than $200... I don't think it's feasible.

It's not really in the budget but I would suggest Jed's F4 full-range Tang Band W4-1337 system. Since it's nearfeild you won't have worry about the off axis response and it sounds pretty good without the notch filter (though much much better with it).

Comment

• max_andrews
                                • Jan 2008

check my post on the PA130MTM i just posted, it's $90 for the pair...

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

People get a clue, this thread was started and finished in 2005...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• max_andrews
                                    • Jan 2008

hah thanks tom, didn't notice

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"