X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigchief
    • Mar 2010

B&W vs Meridian anyone with info

I have a local dealer trying to convinve me that a pair of Meridian 5200/5500 series speaker with 24 bit coding is far better than a pair of 803D or even 802D B&W speakers. Does anyone have any experience with Meridain line speakers
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by bigchief
    I have a local dealer trying to convinve me that a pair of Meridian 5200/5500 series speaker with 24 bit coding is far better than a pair of 803D or even 802D B&W speakers. Does anyone have any experience with Meridain line speakers
    Powered speakers they sound good but are of problems and poor customer service
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• bigchief
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by wettou
      Powered speakers they sound good but are of problems and poor customer service
      But when you say sound good how does that compare to a set of 802D? Also I can do without the poor customer service.

Comment

• Horacio
        • Jan 2005

Chief,

You really should listen to the Meridian to decide. How can anyone explain how will they sound to you? Plus, if this is a dealer trying to convince you, ask him to demo it. I have in the past acquired used components without listening and was a gamble, but if you have a dealer with them...it's a different story.

I have not heard those speakers, but Meridian is a big deal to many in components and speakers. Within the Meridian forum you will find people who moved from B&W to Meridian, not necessarily meaning that the latter is always better than the former, but rather meaning some people prefer one sound over the other. You can see where I'm headed: are you going to be on one camp or the other? Only your ears and wallet should answer that, I think.

Meridian forum is at http://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubb...s.php/ubb/cfrm
        Might be worth a visit / inquiry.

I hope this helps some.

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

Hi,

"powered" speaker or active speaker are a solution alwys more used.
          Meridiam have in programm "active speaker" very, very great :T
          with performance sure more at the level from a 802D or 800D!!

other active speaker like B&M (25mkII/35 or the big 50mkII) are very apprecied, so good like so expensive!! ((from the little 25 -ca- $ 50k. to the 50mkII around $. 108k...) ... Adam make too good "gears"...But Meridian is my favorit. (and more appreciet from the customer)

2 differente wolrd, and is sure not easy make a choice (with a possibility $$)

the 805 with the 36watt from the Musical Fid. give satisfaction....but is not a 36 watt pure class A? ops:

thx Style

Comment

• Orb
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Horacio
            Chief,

You really should listen to the Meridian to decide. How can anyone explain how will they sound to you? Plus, if this is a dealer trying to convince you, ask him to demo it. I have in the past acquired used components without listening and was a gamble, but if you have a dealer with them...it's a different story.

I have not heard those speakers, but Meridian is a big deal to many in components and speakers. Within the Meridian forum you will find people who moved from B&W to Meridian, not necessarily meaning that the latter is always better than the former, but rather meaning some people prefer one sound over the other. You can see where I'm headed: are you going to be on one camp or the other? Only your ears and wallet should answer that, I think.

Meridian forum is at http://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubb...s.php/ubb/cfrm

I hope this helps some.
            Agreed,
            however I am concerned that it sounds like the dealer is pushing the Meridian product.
            They should only go as far as saying in their opinion how good it is, but also they should provide a reference of say listening against a few other products they have.

If the dealer is being even slightly aggressive in the sales technique and selective, I would look for a new dealer tbh.
            One that is friendly, seems enthusiastic, and open minded to various products.

That said, if looking at actives the ATC range are well respected as are the PMC/Bryston actives.
            Personally I think though at the price your looking it comes down to preferences, so have a listen to a few products on the same hardware if possible.
            But the 80x range is diverse enough that there is definitely a model for everyone, so even then its advisable to listen to a few of the B&W (and worth it IMO) to find audio bliss

Cheers
            Orb

Comment

• bigchief
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Horacio
              Chief,

Meridian forum is at https://<br /> http://www.meridianu...s.php/ubb/cfrm

I hope this helps some.
              Thanks all for the input! There is a dealer I know but he no longer has a shop any longer, but is still considered a dealer. In fact he is listed on there website. We met when he came over with a guy that will be modifying my HT for a set of B&W, but in his set up help me mentions that Meridians sounds better than B&W, so i was wondering if there were any B&W owners that maybe jumped ship once they heard the Meridians VS the B ans W. He is suppoe to be geetting me set up with some of the people he has installed for in the past, but with that I won't get the chance to addition the two. I have to finds a store that has both...
              One thing against the meridians is that they don't look good at all, but I don't want to discount there sound quality.

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Let your ears decide which you prefer, you might want to listen to Linn as well, love their AKTIV speakers pricey!!
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

A possibily system, great system with aktiv speaker and all electronicts parts from Meridian.
                  8O 8O

Is very nice but a lover go more with powerampli, beliveve in the cables propriety, speaker,....

2 World in from HighEnd...

Style

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Here is what I am talking about

Comment

• jamesdaman
                      • Apr 2008

Never listen to linn but from what I'm told by many people they are very over priced. That's not my opinion just what i've heard

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by jamesdaman
                        Never listen to linn but from what I'm told by many people they are very over priced. That's not my opinion just what i've heard
                        They are over priced but sound great, IMHO

Comment

• IceG
                          • Dec 2008

I have two systems; one is a full 5.1 Meridian DSP system (using DSP5000s for FL/FR in the lounge), the other is a 5.0 system with pre-D 802Ns up front and Matrix 802S3s in back with a Meridian DSP centre in a dedicated cinema/music room. Both systems are based around Meridian pre-processors with various other bits and bobs. I hope this qualifies me to compare and contrast. All that follows is of course IMHO.

Meridian speakers are generally excellent and are certainly excellent value for money. Remember that you don't need to shell out for the kind of serious amplification that B&Ws deserve, nor interconnects and speaker cables.

The DSP5000s do 90% of what the N802s do, they do it very well but they cannot deliver the volume or the bass slam (so I use a DSP subwoofer).

The DSP5200s are fantastic speakers. The can do 99% of what most people want and can do most of what the N802s can do except that last bit of bass slam. They sound about equal to 803Ds to me and they are one of my favorite sane speakers. DSP5200s also look gorgeous in piano black, the beech and silver look less attractive.

The DSP5500s I have no experience of but they have a reputation for being seriously bass-heavy. DSP6000s are now discontinued but were reputed to be more sophisticated-sounding than the DSP5500s.

DSP7200s are to me the nearest thing to N802s in terms of price point and performance goals. I have never liked them as the bass sounds gloopy and uncontrolled to me. Others differ. The Meridian Room Correction in their pre-pros mighht be the solution.

DSP8000s have to be heard to be believed and are the only thing that would make me move on from the N802s if I had the room. The DSP7200s should and could if that floppy bass could be fixed.

The Meridian speakers are, in my experience, significantly more reliable than the B&Ws and their associated amplifers (Chord in my case). But B&Ws are much cheaper and easier to fix than the Meridians. Meridian customer service used to be second only to QUADs legendary status but recently they have changed their service model and return you to dealers for support.

As another contrast, I find Linn speakers absolutely dreadful with pronounced upper-mid bass and no imaging whatsoever. Again this is my opinion so you have a benchmark. I have never auditioned any D-series 802s.

Go and listen but make it an extended listen as the B&Ws do sound more dynamic at first hearing while the Meridians are more relaxed. Your own ears and taste will tell you which is better for you. Either way you can't go wrong IMHO.

Comment

• Orb
                            • Aug 2008

Hi IceG,
                            sounds like you may had some problems with your B&W and Chord amps, mind sharing what they are and what model of Chord (also if they had problems).

Thanks just curious and always good to know someone elses experience.
                            Orb

Comment

• bigchief
                              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by IceG
                              I have two systems; one is a full 5.1 Meridian DSP system (using DSP5000s for FL/FR in the lounge), the other is a 5.0 system with pre-D 802Ns up front and Matrix 802S3s in back with a Meridian DSP centre in a dedicated cinema/music room. Both systems are based around Meridian pre-processors with various other bits and bobs. I hope this qualifies me to compare and contrast. All that follows is of course IMHO.

Meridian speakers are generally excellent and are certainly excellent value for money. Remember that you don't need to shell out for the kind of serious amplification that B&Ws deserve, nor interconnects and speaker cables.

The DSP5000s do 90% of what the N802s do, they do it very well but they cannot deliver the volume or the bass slam (so I use a DSP subwoofer).

The DSP5200s are fantastic speakers. The can do 99% of what most people want and can do most of what the N802s can do except that last bit of bass slam. They sound about equal to 803Ds to me and they are one of my favorite sane speakers. DSP5200s also look gorgeous in piano black, the beech and silver look less attractive.

The DSP5500s I have no experience of but they have a reputation for being seriously bass-heavy. DSP6000s are now discontinued but were reputed to be more sophisticated-sounding than the DSP5500s.

DSP7200s are to me the nearest thing to N802s in terms of price point and performance goals. I have never liked them as the bass sounds gloopy and uncontrolled to me. Others differ. The Meridian Room Correction in their pre-pros mighht be the solution.

DSP8000s have to be heard to be believed and are the only thing that would make me move on from the N802s if I had the room. The DSP7200s should and could if that floppy bass could be fixed.

The Meridian speakers are, in my experience, significantly more reliable than the B&Ws and their associated amplifers (Chord in my case). But B&Ws are much cheaper and easier to fix than the Meridians. Meridian customer service used to be second only to QUADs legendary status but recently they have changed their service model and return you to dealers for support.

As another contrast, I find Linn speakers absolutely dreadful with pronounced upper-mid bass and no imaging whatsoever. Again this is my opinion so you have a benchmark. I have never auditioned any D-series 802s.

Go and listen but make it an extended listen as the B&Ws do sound more dynamic at first hearing while the Meridians are more relaxed. Your own ears and taste will tell you which is better for you. Either way you can't go wrong IMHO.
                              WOW this is an awesome website of knowledge, I am glad to be a member. Well I have determined after all the input's and IMO's (which have all been really great advice), since I've always wanted B&W speaker and this will be my first hi-fi set, I will stick with B & W, because the wife had a good point in that, if I get something else, I will probably always still want B&W, especially with the new line coming out. :T :T

Comment

• IceG
                                • Dec 2008

Hi Orb,

problems were as follows:

B&W Matrix 805 outer trim ring broke and popped off the tweeter nacelle for no reason. B&W supplied a new one by post for free - easy fix. They suspected sunlight had weakened the plastic.

B&W Nautilus 802 - tweeter blew due to me pausing and restarting a PVR with a DD soundtrack. The pre-pro lost lock and spiked the treble at around full volume. I am sure the tweeter really wanted to fly across the room. New tweeter from B&W was ~£50 but it took forever to figure out how to fit it so I called my dealer in which cost me a house-call.

Chord amp SPM1600 - an internal LED went intermittently awol after about 15 years causing a popping on switch-on. Took it back to the factory (I am UK and within 80 miles) and they fixed it as part of a full service and some custom conversion work to the inputs.

Chord amp SPM1200E - there were some funny noises fixed under the five-year warranty.

So nothing significant to wory about in the big picture. I would still buy and recommend any of the kit. Just beware of those B&W tweeters.

Comment

• IceG
                                  • Dec 2008

Bigchief - enjoy. Just budget for that quality power amp. The 803s really are great, much easier to position than 802s and don't need as much expensive power

I forgot to mention, my SWMBO thinks the DSP5000s are "really cute" and "the nicest sounding speakers". She has much better hearing than me not having ridden motorcycles for 30 years.

Comment

• bigchief
                                    • Mar 2010

Bigchief - enjoy. Just budget for that quality power amp. The 803s really are great, much easier to position than 802s and don't need as much expensive power

I forgot to mention, my SWMBO thinks the DSP5000s are "really cute" and "the nicest sounding speakers". She has much better hearing than me not having ridden motorcycles for 30 years.
                                    That's funny as I too have been riding motorcycles for about the last 30yr, in fact I just gave up drag racing about a year ago,, raced a turbo hayabusa at 500 hp

Comment

• IceG
                                      • Dec 2008

;x(

Moto Guzzis for me - slow and rattly

Comment

• Orb
                                        • Aug 2008

Hi Orb,

problems were as follows:

B&W Matrix 805 outer trim ring broke and popped off the tweeter nacelle for no reason. B&W supplied a new one by post for free - easy fix. They suspected sunlight had weakened the plastic.

B&W Nautilus 802 - tweeter blew due to me pausing and restarting a PVR with a DD soundtrack. The pre-pro lost lock and spiked the treble at around full volume. I am sure the tweeter really wanted to fly across the room. New tweeter from B&W was ~£50 but it took forever to figure out how to fit it so I called my dealer in which cost me a house-call.

Chord amp SPM1600 - an internal LED went intermittently awol after about 15 years causing a popping on switch-on. Took it back to the factory (I am UK and within 80 miles) and they fixed it as part of a full service and some custom conversion work to the inputs.

Chord amp SPM1200E - there were some funny noises fixed under the five-year warranty.

So nothing significant to wory about in the big picture. I would still buy and recommend any of the kit. Just beware of those B&W tweeters.
                                        Thanks for the heads up and all good to know
                                        Cheers
                                        Orb

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"