X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigchief
    • Mar 2010

B & W 803D

I know there is a new 803D speaker for this year with Diamond tweeter, but was there a pre 2010 version of the 803D with the diamond tweeter made? I hae been looking for a used pair but with no luck. I t seem that the 803 never had the diamond tweeter until now, is this correct?
  • Skyblue
    • Jun 2009

No, there has been a 803D for the last 5 years with the diamond tweeter.

The new version is 803 Diamond, which also have the diamond tweeter.
    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• bigchief
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Skyblue
      No, there has been a 803D for the last 5 years with the diamond tweeter.

The new version is 803 Diamond, which also have the diamond tweeter.
      Okay got it! I just need to find a pair so I can listen and possibly buy if the 802D are to big for my room. :T

Comment

• MikeFL52
        • Oct 2007

Skyblue is absolutely correct. There are (were) two versions of the 803 speaker the 803S with 2 bass drivers and the standard aluminum tweeter and the 803D which has 3 bass drivers a larger cabinet and the diamond tweeter (I have this one). Now all aluminum tweeter 800 series speakers have been discontinued and all of them replaced with a diamond equivalent except the 803S which has been discontinued altogether. Are the new diamonds the same as the older diamonds, certainly different cosmetics and some changes internally as well.

The old 803D is a really good speaker and if you can pick one up at a discount since it is being replaced with the 803Di (sounds like a BMW instead of a B&W!!) it would be a really good deal. Same with the 802D vs the 802Di. The new speakers are the 805D and 804D which were not available as diamonds previously, so if you are after a floor standing "D" speaker then you might also want to look at the new 804D as this lowers the entry price for the diamonds.

The centers have lost the large HTM1D, HTM3S and HTM4S and now the only speakers available for centers are the HTM4D and the HTM2D.

For the rears I have not seen any speakers. The DS8S has been replaced in my opinion by an in wall speaker (can't remember the designation) same drivers but different (vertical) configuration with no diamonds (this would have been really expensive since there are three tweeters). I have not seen a replacement for the SCMS. But anyone could use 805Ds and at least have the tweeters matching.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"