X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kking168
    • Jan 2008

Cleaning 803D tweeter housing...

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this board, so this may have been asked already. What do you recommend using to clean the painted surface of the 803D tweeter housing? I used the microfibre cloth that came with the speakers and it introduced hairline scratches. The cloth was dry, no cleaning agents were used, and only light household dust was on the tweeters. Eric Mcbride from B&W said microfibre is the correct item to use and it shouldn't scratch. He also recommended using Windex or Sparkle glass cleaner first before polishing off with microfibre. I'm hesitant about using microfibre again on the tweeters, so I'm curious what your opinion is. Thanks!

Kevin
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Kevin, Welcome to the forum!

The microfiber cloth you used should not scratch the paint surface by itself, but what does scratch it is the dust that is dragged away by the cloth, I would give the painted surface on the tweeter housing the same that you would on a fine automotive finish, you could use a quick detailer spray on the cloth before you wipe it down such as Meguiars.
    The recommendation of using a glass cleaner will do the job, it will help lubricate the surface so any dirt or dust will glide away when it is wiped, but will not offer any protection or deepen the shine like the detiling spray would. If you do use a glass cleaner make sure you pick one that does not contain ammonia.
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• kking168
      • Jan 2008

I appreciate the advice. Thank you.

Kevin

Comment

• esaleris
        • Dec 2007

I use a can of compressed air before cleaning delicate surfaces. That way I reduce the amount of dust that's able to cause scratches when I start cleaning it with a cloth.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"