• Stevebez
    • Oct 2003

Personal Review : 803D

Finish : Rosenut
    Reviewer Type : HiFi enthusiast
    Previous Speakers Used : Boston Micros II
    Price : ~£5000
    Auditioned : 802D
    System : Rotel 1075/1080/1068, Arcam DV88+, Pan TH42PWD5, Pan TH37PWD7, Velodyne DD12
    Unit run in (hours) : approx 100-125 hours at mostly low SPL
    Power Rating : 50-500W
    Amplifier used : ROTEL RB1080 (2x200w into 8ohm 2x300w into 4ohm)
    Movies : 55% (various)
    Music : 45% (J-Lo, Dire Straights, Yazoo, Yello, ABBA, Gwen Stefani, Anastasia, Black Eyed Peas, Sinatra., DVD-A in DD5.1 Donald Fagen – Nightfly & Eagles -Hotel California)

Physical
    The units look is somewhat understated when compared to the more well known and bold design of the 802. The benefit of the 803D is the smaller foot print and narrow front line which blends into a lounge allot more easily - particularly if the space is on the smaller side. The design has some costs in that the port is now on the front panel and not on the underside as in the 802 design - which is a more clever layout with the pedestal adding not only presence but function.

Never the less the 803D looks quite sublime with its front panel in situ and really looks the part once removed revealing 4 drivers of 8”. 1 FST Kevlar surroundless driver and no less than 3 x 8” bass drivers. The technical aspects of the contruction and materials I will not go into … although what I do appreciate is the thicker cone of the bass drivers isolating internal cabinet colourations.

The constant curve of the frame adds some elegance to the overall impression and making placement into tighter locations even easier. But at over 40cm deep it is still not a small unit and at around 40kg each not easily moved around.

The top of the unit slopes gently forward (and is slightly domed) revealing the all too familiar metal housing of the now diamond derived tweeter. Completely isolated (in terms of vibration) from the main cabinet it stands out quite proud, and a little more forward than on previous models, but adds a lovely detail to the rather plain design of the 803D.

On the negative the tweeter being so exposed leaves it susceptible to be damaged. And at £1500 to be replaced is a little bit of a worry. My positioning is limited so to enter my lounge you basically have to walk right by the front of the unit. Thankfully thus far there have been only near misses – but I fear a future repair may be inevitable – and I just hope it will be limited to a tweeter grill. I have already discovered a tweeter grill slightly dislodged – but with no harm done – so it seems these grills do the job quite well and are fairly robust. The forward position of the tweeter face does not help in this respect either – although sonically this is a more optimal position.

The main grill cover is relatively flimsy and offers only minor protection – in fact I think all it would really do is avoid clothes brushing against any of the drivers and keep the dust out. They material is quite elastic in nature and defeats the object of protecting the drivers. A stiffer more robust grill would be a very useful after market option.

Finish
    The unit was ordered in Rosenut which blends well with my existing Mahogany furniture and the grain and quality of the veneer was quite uniform indicating some effort had gone into matching the veneers which are clearly of good quality with no blemishes that I could notice.

The connection terminals have two pairs for low and high range to allow bi-amping. I assume the high feeds the tweeter and FST driver and the lower terminal the bass drivers – but I did not investigate this further as I am not bi-amping. Simple interconnects provided connect the two pairs – although the fit is a little clumsy and also a little untidy. Two solid metal plates as provided with the HTM series would have been a better solution. For the UK market the binding posts have plastic inserts which prevent input of banana type plugs directly from the rear. This, I believe, is to prevent someone plugging in a wall plug into these points These can be removed with some needle nose pliers but no mention of this is stated in the user booklet – which otherwise is very comprehensive.

The drivers are perfect in construction and the FST looks lovely with the grill removed adding some colour to the bland face of the 803D. It also sports a black plastic phase plug. The fact that plastic was used is mentioned in some literature that it has been sonically matched and plastic was determined to be the best. I have not yet determined if it can be removed or not, but as we know some enthusiasts have milled their own aluminium ones. I can only speculate as to the sonic difference.

The unit can be mounted on rubber feet or spikes – both versions included in the package. I have the unit fitted with the rubber feet on a wood floor.

Initial Impressions

After a relatively enjoyable process of unpacking and placing the units in their position and taking some care in the wiring up process I sat back for my first impressions.

Immediately I noticed I required more power to get the same SPL’s as the Micros which is understandable given the Micros had efficiency of around 94db and the 803D’s 90db.

The only concern I had was whether the 803D would have the same low end definition I enjoyed so much from the 802D’s. The timing of 3 bass drivers caused me some concern too as I thought it may cause some flabbiness as higher SPL’s- more on this in a minute.

Moving from Boston Micros to 803D’s is bound to cause a major sensation. I did not audition the 803D’s but auditioned the 802D’s and ordered the 803D’s effectively blind. The sensation was non-the-less impressive.

Low End
    Tight , controlled, defined and refined are the words that spring to mind. Here I cannot compare to the Micros at all since they only go down to 100hz, so my comparison here is relative to the 802D’s. I have to say I thought the 803D held its ground pretty well. I think it does suffer a little from the front mounted port though and the superior design of the 802’s port shows its mettle – but really only just and at very high SPL’s.

Fortunately having the Velodynes DD12 calibration mike handy I could do sweep of the 803D’s output across 15-200hz. True to the specs it has significant output starting at about 30hz rising very quickly to almost flat output from 35hz plus, excluding any room effects. Impressive.

For music sources I doubt a sub would be necessary with this pair, provided you have a sufficiently large amp. The 1080 is probably just enough but will be stretched at higher SPL’s in big movie passages with lots of LFE. So for movies I would suggest a sub will be necessary especially if you want the 15-35 hz range to be sufficiently saturated.

Eagles Hotel California is simply stunning on the bass side.

In summary I have not heard a better bass delivery from ANY speaker with the exception of dedicated sub and the 802D’s – but again relative to the 802D’s it is really at the very margin. In my opinion it is a result of the design rather than the drivers. Bass timing and definition at high SPL’s remained tight and refined and my concerns about 3 drivers were without foundation.

Mid End
    The FST driver is superb and the surroundless design quite ingenious making the cone size effectively a fraction larger than its “8-inch” bass cousins. Speech is clear and rounded without any unnaturalness. What I noticed the most about this driver is that I did not notice it …it was as if it really did not exist and it is blended so smoothly into the sound field and I could not distinguish any difference between the 803D and the 802D in this department.

High End
    To say that I was impressed would be the understatement of the decade. I was completely blown away. Whether the diamond cone has anything to do with it or if its down to the simpler crossover I don’t really care - the top end sound is without doubt the most natural and detailed I have ever heard. Again I could not distinguish a difference to the 802D’s – and I don’t suppose I should given that they are the same drivers. The delivery is presented in such a relaxed fashion that the sound at first may appear lazy until you come across a passage of acoustic guitar or an element where your tweeter is really being stretched (which does not fatigue the listener at all – but instead invites him closer – is the best way I can describe it). Simply amazing is all I can say. I listen to track 7 from J-Lo’s album over and over again and I just cannot believe the detail and accuracy of the guitar passages. Moreover I am not fatigued by the detail after a couple of hours of listening.

Conclusion
    Having said all this about the sound of each contributing driver – I cannot help but conclude that the overall result is far greater than the sum of the parts. The manner in which the different components contribute seamlessly and unnoticed to the overall sound is a something else that has me simply floored. In addition setting up a decent soundstage is accomplished with minimal effort and with some positional changes this can be improved fairly significantly.

The bass is really so well defined I seldom have my DD12 on for casual listening and only hook it up for some serious occasions, although I am planning to have it integrated more permanently into the setup. This will take some time though and hopefully I will give it a bash over the next couple of weeks and update the review.

I have tried to cover all aspects of the unit, but no doubt I have missed some element that someone would have liked to know – so just reply to this thread and I will update the review where possible with more detail.

Rgds Steve.
  • goe2112
    • Feb 2005

Outstanding personal review, thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts about the 803D's, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I can see that you take pride in your new speakers and rightfully so.

Comment

• JimTW
      • Apr 2005

I agree, great review. Nicely written. Now I'm all fired up about my desires
      for a pair of 804S. Darn...

Comment

• georgev
        • Jul 2004

Great review Steve. You really took time to write that up.
        Thats the kind I was referring to earlier in the previous thread.
        I would like to audition a pair seriously after reading your review.
        Compared to the 802N's, any thoughts?

Comment

• Stevebez
          • Oct 2003

Thanks guys for the compliments ...

Unfortunately I have not heard the 802N's ops: , but I am told by those who have the 803D is at least as good... At this level of performance though the gap will be pretty marginal methinks ...I would let your own ears be the judge though - often we are too influenced by other people's opinions...and sometimes it comes down to your taste in sound.

I still plan to get a pair of 802D's for a dedicated listening room and keep the 803D's in the lounge ... one day when money is no object and I have a Palace for a house!

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• EAmin
            • Aug 2004

Stevebez,

Congrats on your speakers. Nice review too. I listened to pair today, and they sounded awesome. The image is amazing on these puppies. It is very attractive at only $8,000 (...only) vs. $12,000 for 802Ds.

Comment

• gauss
              • Jun 2005

Stevebez,

Thank's for an excellent review.

I am thinking about changing my current speakers for either 802D, 803D or maybe 803S. I can't really make my mind up, it depends on the money but also on how they will work in my room. I am a bit afraid that the bass output of 802D and perhaps 803D will be too much for my room.

What is the size of your room, Stevebez? Have you noticed any problems with any frequency region?

Comment

• Stevebez
                • Oct 2003

The step up to the D's is definitely worth it if you can in my view. The consideration of the 803's over the 802's came down to space and money of course ... the 802's will hopefully be a future addition ... and was the speaker first demoed and fell in love with immediately.

But you should be the judge - which one fits your personal taste better. The bass on the 802 is more "full" but the 803 is not far behind.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• martino
                  • Aug 2004

803S vs 803D

Thanks for the review...I would urge anyone considering these two 803's to listen...803D won' automatically sound better.
                  I went to my shop with the OK from my wife to get either D or S.( which is a huge green light by the way)..I listened and I liked the 803S's better..crisper..brighter. the D's did sound more laid back with better base response..but my trusty REL Sub takes care of the bottom end...anyway I'm not saying one is better..just different.

Crank it up..

Martin

Comment

• js24
                    • Feb 2005

martino,
                    make sure you listen to them (A/B) a few times
                    first impression does usually change over time
                    just my .000002 mili cents

the "brighter and crisper" might tire you out over time
                    I'm also looking at the 803D... you gotta have the bling bling man.. :B

Comment

• martino
                      • Aug 2004

Sound advice jr24;
                      I've already ordered my 803S's and HTM3 ctr.
                      My listening room is carpeted..has tapastries on the walls and is well furnished...sooo..sound does not bounce around to much..in this environ. I feel the 803S's are what I need. I agree that a bright speaker in the wrong room would be painfull!

Cheers

Martin

Comment

• js24
                        • Feb 2005

martino
                        congrats on your new system
                        I'm up for an ultimate shoot out between the 802D and 803D (with the "best" matching electronics they have at my local shop this weekend.. already getting excited.. :B))
                        I'll have to audtion the 803S eventually before I spend $$$ more on the bling blings
                        what electrnoics are you gonna use to drive them?

sounds like you have a nice room there (mine is BRIGHT~! all woods and plastics..)
                        ENJOY~! :T

Comment

• EAmin
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by js24
                          martino
                          congrats on your new system
                          I'm up for an ultimate shoot out between the 802D and 803D (with the "best" matching electronics they have at my local shop this weekend.. already getting excited.. :B))
                          I'll have to audtion the 803S eventually before I spend $$$ more on the bling blings
                          what electrnoics are you gonna use to drive them?

sounds like you have a nice room there (mine is BRIGHT~! all woods and plastics..)
                          ENJOY~! :T
                          I read a review on the 803D in hi-fi + magazine. They reviewed the 802D earlier, then got the 803D --- same guy listening to both. In short, the reviewer said the 803D was about 80% of the 802D, but cost 70% of the 802D's cost. Overall, it was very favorable review for the 803D.

Comment

• js24
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by EAmin
                            I read a review on the 803D in hi-fi + magazine. They reviewed the 802D earlier, then got the 803D --- same guy listening to both. In short, the reviewer said the 803D was about 80% of the 802D, but cost 70% of the 802D's cost. Overall, it was very favorable review for the 803D.
                            cool
                            I'll let you guys know my take, too

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"