X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radim
    • Feb 2004

800D and more bass - biamp or add sub ?

Hello.
    I've got B&W 800D with classe monoblocks cam-400 and listen 2-channel musik only.
    I really enjoy this system, but I would like do some improve in the lowest bass area - the last octave, so from 50Hz down.
    Oh, I like bass response, for example jazz contrabass, I must feel it.

I have two ideas:
    1. add next two classe monoblocks cam-400 and use biamping.
    2. add two subs ( for example velodyne dd-18 ) with crossover around 50Hz.

Thanks for your comments.

Radim
  • johan
    • Dec 2004

Hello!

First work with placement, those speakers are full range and should provide bass enough. Extra power is wasted money, add subs instead.

Wonderful system!!

Johan.

Comment

• radim
      • Feb 2004

I experienced with placement of course. I must say, I founded really big difference in the sound.
      Maybe it isn't so audiophille, but I like huge bass response.

Comment

• Isaac
        • Jan 2006

I would recommend a subwoofer if you enjoy deep bass you can feel. REL sub bass systems integrate well with 2-channel systems.

Comment

• Horacio
          • Jan 2005

I agree with what others have said here. More power might improve dynamics, but won't make your speakers go lower than what they do now.

A large REL (like a Studio) or a JL Gotham would probably be my choice. Maybe try with one and then decide if you need 2. I suspect you won't.

Another thought, given that you say it might not be audiophile but you like huge bass response. Maybe what you like is your frequency response to be higher on the bass than what your amps are providing now. An option would be to biamp and use a crossover like a Bryston 10B and provide the amps reproducing the bass higher gain than the amps reproducing the mids/trebble. It would be an expensive experiment, though.
          I am experimenting with biamping 804S with a tube amp on top and a SS for bass. The tube amp has variable gain, so I don't need the crossover to experiment. Lowering the gain in the tube amp heightens the frequency response on the bass and you can get huge bass response (in the context of what 804S can offer, of course!)...yet it doesn't necessarily sound right to my ears.

Just a nother thought. You have a great system. How big is the room, by the way?

Comment

• radim
            • Feb 2004

Thanks for yours comments.

My romm is big 7.0x4.5m (23x15f).
            Speakers are aside shorter wall. Their position is 1.25m (4.1f) from the back wall, and 1.2m (3.9f) from the side wall.

I think the room acoustic is not perfect mainly for the bass area, at the speakers is bass bigger, than in my listening position (2.5m, 8.2f) from the back wall : some standing waves are problem.

About subs, you don't like velodyne ?

Comment

• radim
              • Feb 2004

And one thing is not written here: 800d are extremely power hungry, so therefore I wrote about biamping.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                • Dec 2008

I've seen picks where there was 2 Cam 400's on each 800D.They love power.
                A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

1. Better placement. As we have learned with MCH, the best place for imaging may not be the best place for bass, so this may be a counterproductive effort.

2. Bi-amping. Unless there is an issue of serious underpowering, biamping will not (in fact, should not) change the overall balance to give you more bass. Same for a bigger amp.

3. Subwoofer. This, indeed, has the potential to give you more and more extended bass even with the 800s. I would suggest a large(!) sub with good digital EQ built in or added on in the form of the AntiMode 8033 or the new SVS sub EQ. Neither of those will affect the main channels at all.

4. EQ and/or tone control. If all you want is a little boost of the low bass so you can feel it, this might be the easiest solution as the 800s are certainly quite capable of moving a lot of air. In fact, have you considered that room acoustics/treatment might also help?

Kal
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• radim
                    • Feb 2004

OK.
                    I use now cardas calculate position speakers, so side distance is width x 0.276 and back wall distance is width x 0.353. Bass response is better, imaging more better, WAF factor is worse of course.
                    For feeling lowest bass, it's difficult to me. Room treatment is the question for professional expert, not for me.
                    And the other problem is I cannot try classe biamp and 2 sub's in my room. Dealers in my area doesn't exists. Buy or bye.

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

I think your best bet would be to hire an acoustician to come in and measure your room and make suggestions. Your seat could be in a null. the recommendations will probably cost less than the other options.
                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Radim,

Get a good sub (or two) and experiment. What have you got to lose? Compared to what you've spent already a good sub (or two) will be malou částku peněz.

Nigel.

Comment

• radim
                          • Feb 2004

Nigel,

I think your right.
                          The life is too short to listen only hifi !
                          And experimenting may will be enjoy too.

Comment

• Antus
                            • Apr 2008

Classe amps are "lean" on the bass department. u can try Krell, Bryston amp. i think the difference are quite large.

a sub can give u huge bass. but i think 2 channel music sound the best with 2 speakers. adding a sub doesn't sound as natural.

Comment

• Jovl
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Antus
                              Classe amps are "lean" on the bass department. u can try Krell, Bryston amp. i think the difference are quite large.

a sub can give u huge bass. but i think 2 channel music sound the best with 2 speakers. adding a sub doesn't sound as natural.
                              That's it , go for a Krell amp on the 800D's , i have the 800D with the Krell FPB700cx and need no sub.

Jovl
                              My setup : http://forum.puresound.be/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25
                              Sorry for my English ops:

Comment

• radim
                                • Feb 2004

I don't talk about bass department but about lowest bass (from 50Hz down) only.
                                It's a very big difference. Upper basses I have enough and to spare. It's not problem Classe amp, it's my music preferences only.
                                I'm in the conviction that 99% users should be no problem. So, I have sub in past and it had left maybe nonaudiophile consequences.
                                And Classe - I love its smooth demonstration. I hate the bright sound.

Radim

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Antus

I had both Bryston 7B ST's and Classe CAM350's in teh house at the same time with S800's. Very similar sound - not much difference in bass. The Classe was slightly warmer, the Bryston more accurate. YMMV.

Comment

• peter clarke
                                    • Oct 2006

B&W 800D ? bi-amp

Radim, My 800D's are passive bi-amped with VTL S-400 on hi/mid and parasound JC-1's for lo frequency, I have researched this and found articles suggesting hi power amps for each not lo-power tubes for the hi/mid especially for the 800D's, the crossovers are designed for such use and encouraged to experiment with gain/polarity matched amps!!!!! I believe if 4 CAM-400's are trialled [home demo.] you might be surprised at the extension on the bass and increased mid-range depth and clarity, listen and you'll see P.C.

Comment

• BassThatHz
                                      • Jul 2006

What you must do... is go buy an SPL meter and measure the speakers output with sine sweeps. Anything else, is nothing more then guess work.

If you like musical quality, then a 5+ band parameteric EQ is a must for a subwoofer; doesn't matter if that's external or built-in.

A pair of DD-18's or JL Fathom's or SVS Ultra's should be more than enough output for all but the "craziest" of bass-head; in which case your best bet is a DIY solution.

I own 3 Velodyne subwoofers and two DIY-15's. I have been using subs for 8 years, I'm not a guru... but I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by BassThatHz
                                        What you must do... is go buy an SPL meter and measure the speakers output with sine sweeps. Anything else, is nothing more then guess work.
                                        Sine sweeps are inadequate. Get the SPL meter and a copy of RoomEQ Wizard to see what is happening in the time domain.

If you like musical quality, then a 5+ band parameteric EQ is a must for a subwoofer; doesn't matter if that's external or built-in.
                                        Agreed and already suggested.
                                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"