X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Allegiance
    • Sep 2006

Centre Channel Position Advice

Hi Guys!

Below is a pic of my setup, I would like to know what your suggestions are for placement of the centre speaker. As it is now, it is below the TV and off to the right as you can see. What can I do to improve this? And I can't mount the LCD on the wall if that's what you where going to say.

BTW excuse the mess, I am unwell today! :cry:

• audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Personally, I would go extreme. I would disassemble the AV board, take out that center piece, measure it, design a cut-out to fit the center, take the design to home depot, and buy a piece of MDF and ask them to cut it. Then paint it, put it back in, and you're done.

That's actually what I did to the backboard on my AV rack to allow the deep HTPC that I have.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• ray5
      • Dec 2008

I don't know the dimensions but the other option is raise the TV onto a pedestal. It can be built and stained exactly the same color. Three pieces of wood, the height enough to accommodate the ctr. channel. It might raise the TV too much though.
      Ray

Comment

• Hammie
        • Oct 2005

I was going to suggest to wall mount the TV and place the center on top of the stand. But since you cannot do that, you can always build a false wall and mount it on it instead.

The false wal could be the entire width of the cabinet. That way, you can push the cabinet to the false wall and have any wires hidden within the wall. Basically, leave the wall open on the bottom so the cabinet fits into it.
        Panasonic TC-P65VT30
        Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
        Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
        Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
        B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
        Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
        My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
        Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

It looks like you may have enough depth on the top of your cabinet to move the TV to the rear, and raise it by putting some sort of wooden box underneath the TV. Then place the center channel speaker in front of the TV on the top shelf.

I actually used two boxes to raise the TV, so I could run the wires from the speaker between the boxes and under the TV to the back.

Unfortunately, my wife did not like the idea of mounting the TV on the wall. It makes it a challenge, but it's definitely doable.

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

Check this out from Salamander.

You could get the look of hanging the TV on the wall with out doing it and you don't have to modify your cabinet.

Eric

Comment

• Blindamood
              • Sep 2003

Another option would be to mount a shelf on the wall above the tv (if you're able), and place the speaker up there, tilted downward a bit.
              Brad

Comment

• robert L
                • Jul 2008

the center channel always sounds best below the tv, i recommend hanging the tv on the wall, then that will open up the space for the speaker to sit on the cabinet under the tv,....

Comment

• KyaDawn
                  • Mar 2008

Probably the easiest solution would be for you to move the TV right a bit, so that it is directly above the center speaker. Then you'll have to move the right speaker a little further to the right, so that it is the same distance from the TV and center speaker as your left speaker.

Your TV won't be "centered" with your rack, but at least your AV set-up will be proportional and centered. You will, of course, have to move your surround right speaker(s) to the right also, to reflect your front soundstage, and possibly your sofa as well if you want it centered with your TV.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"