X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

B&W CM9 vs 683

I'm thinking of upgrading. the 700 series is ugly and 800 is a dream. whats your thoughts???
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • Hammie
    • Oct 2005

You really need to hear them and decide which sounds best to you. I did not like the sound of the CM's when I was auditioning B&W's. They did not seem to have the same smooth sound.

BTW, all speakers I auditioned that day were connected to Rotel amps. I can't remember if they were the same models or not, but I know they were Rotel amps.

BTW, for about $1K more than the CM9, you can get into the 804S's. That is the route I am going.
    Panasonic TC-P65VT30
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
    Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
    Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
    Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
    My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
    Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• KyaDawn
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by BWLover
      I'm thinking of upgrading. the 700 series is ugly and 800 is a dream. whats your thoughts???
      Between the two, it's all up to personal preference, but I would choose the CM9s. I've always loved the high level of detail in the CM series, but found the leaner bass in the lower models somewhat off-putting. The CM9 addresses this, and provides ample bass to the CM sound. Very good speaker.

It is, of course, twice the price of the 683, so it's not surprising that some would consider the CM9 a better model. What I like about the 68x series is the overall warmth of the sound, though less detailed than the CM series. Again, it's all up to preference.

For example, while I think the CM1 offers greater detail than the 685, I prefer the 685 for the warm sound and heavier bass. So it really depends a lot on the kind of music you listen to most and your tastes. Of course, a good subwoofer with the CM1 changes the comparison quite a bit!

If you have the budget for the CM9 and also for the matching speakers, if you want a HT set-up, then by all means go for it! If it's between choosing a stereo pair of CM9s and a full 5.1 68x, then it's really up to what you find is the priority (stereo vs. HT), but I can say you certainly shouldn't be disappointed with a 68x set-up!

Originally posted by louhamilton
      You really need to hear them and decide which sounds best to you. I did not like the sound of the CM's when I was auditioning B&W's. They did not seem to have the same smooth sound.

BTW, all speakers I auditioned that day were connected to Rotel amps. I can't remember if they were the same models or not, but I know they were Rotel amps.

BTW, for about $1K more than the CM9, you can get into the 804S's. That is the route I am going.
      The 804Ss actually cost around $1,500 more than the CM9s, about a 50% difference, so not insignificant depending on the OP's budget.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"