X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdavis
    • May 2011

How does the CM9 compare to the 703?

Hi everyone!

I've not posted here in some months, but I've been lurking and reading.

I was at one point locked on getting a pair of 804s, but budget constrains now have me looking more in the direction of either a pair of 703s or CM9s. My room is 19 1/2 feet long and 13 1/2 feet wide. Cosmetically, the CM9s would be preferable, but I can't see them outclassing 703s. Has anyone been able to compare the two?

BTW, for what it's worth, I much prefer the sound of 685s over CM1s, the latter of which struck me as feeling somewhat confined and less detailed. Can I presume the CM9s to have similar around signatures to the CM1?
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

I have not listened to the 703s so I cannot comment on the CM9 to 703s.

I do however, have CM7 in my second system, and they are quite a bit better then the 683s I used to have. Less bass however.

I think if you compare the CM1 to 685 it is not going to be a fair comparison since the CM1 is the same size as a 686. You need to compare the CM5 to the 685. CM1's are great for small rooms and should best the 685, however, in medium to large rooms they won't have the fill making them sound confined.

Cheers

Stuart
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• leej
      • Feb 2009

I was looking at the CM9, when they were first introduced. The store still had the 703's at that time, so I listened to both. However, they were in different rooms, so accoustics may have affected my audition. When I went from the CM9 room to listen to the 703's, my mind was made up instantly. I found the highs to be clearer and the overall sound appealed to my ears. Of course, at 65 I might prefer the slightly bright sound of the 703's. I've found that room accoustics are very important with these.
      Like you, I was looking at the 804s, at that time, but went with these because of cost and budget, but have been very satisfied with my 703's.
      Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
      B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• KRC
        • Aug 2004

I have compared the two as the CM is the "Replacement" for the 703. I think the 703 is much better than the CM, maybe partially due to the open tweeter on top configuration, or better tweeter/midrange/crossover. I have a pair of 703's in my 22 x 14 room and they take a good amount of quality power (I run an Anthem MCA 50). The 703 comes closer to the tight 804 sound vs the CM as all three are the same configuration wise.

Kevin

Comment

• mdavis
          • May 2011

Thanks so much for your feedback, everyone!

It sounds like the 703 would be the way to go.

Kevin, you mentioned that they need significant power. Are they harder to drive than the 804S? I'd be using a Cambridge Audio 640A v2 for the foreseeable future.

@ Lee: I think we're in a similar boat wrt hearing. I'm nearly 40 with decades of live concert attendance almost certainly taking some kind of toll on my high frequency perception (though I don't sense any lack)!

@Stuart: Good point re: CM5 being a more appropriate comparison speaker to the 685!

Comment

• bnieman
            • Jun 2006

I haven't had a chance to listen to the CM9 but I've loved my 703 ever since I got them in 2006. Extremely airy highs with a full bodied midrange and some punch if you need it. Completely outshines the CM4 floor standing speakers I have in my living room, the biggest improvement being the out-of-the-box airy quality of the open air tweeter. And compared the the N805 bookshelf pair in my office they are on par with the high end and midrange.

The 703 is the only speaker in the 700 series with the surroundless midrange (also found in the CM9, CM7, and 800 series).

If you can find a pair, they are an outstanding speaker.
            Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• Chucka
              • Aug 2009

As CES is just a month away, I would suggest waiting to see IF B&W may introduce any new speakers at this show. I am hoping to see a replacement product filling the hole left by the 700 series appear someday in their line or an expansion of the PM1 to a tower and center speaker.

Chucka

Comment

• KRC
                • Aug 2004

mdavis - the power question, when I first bought my 703's, I was driving them with my Arcam AVR 200, which was 2x 90 watts or 5x 70. At that time they sounded great as they replaced some 1980's vintage Mirage speakers, but I knew they were not working at their potential as I auditioned them on some high end equipment at a dealer in Toronto. So I reloaded the gun and bought an Anthem processor and an MCA 50 amp, did I now notice a difference, everything changed and I can use every cliche they use in magazines to describe the sound. To answer your question, I think it would be a good match with your Cambridge amp as both Arcam and Cambridge have the same thought of simple design and rugged (for the price) power supplies. Unless you are playing music/HT at crazy levels it will work. A few threads back there was a discussion on turning up the volume and the sound totalling changing again and that is what happened to me a bit ago where I was listening to some good jazz and turned it up a notch louder than normal and again the whole sound experience changed. now would I have had the same experience from the Arcam, again is not a shabby piece of kit, but I almost tripled the wattage and have the high current output from the Anthem, something happened and the only change was the change of volume. Too specifically answer your question of driving the 804, I do not know if they would be harder to drive then the 703, I am sure they would be comparable as they are basically cut from the same cloth minus the matrix enclosure.

Chuka - It will be interesting to see what follows the PM1, I believe there is going to be a line and the PM1 was the market feeler, but then B&W will be in the dollars per line issue of bang for buck (ie do I get the top of the line in one area or suck it up and spend a few more dollrs for an upgrade in the next line)

Kevin

Comment

• mdavis
                  • May 2011

Much appreciated, guys. I expect that CES will reveal some exciting new models, but from my end, I can barely afford to buy a used pair of 703s, and judging from the pricings of the PM1 or any of the newer 800 series (diamonds), I'd be amazed if any newly announced B&W gear would be realistic for me.

Kevin, your input re: power is very appreciated. Sounds like I'll be good for the time being but should eventually look towards upping my amplification situation.

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

I can't comment on the CM9 but I owned a pair of CDM 9NT speakers for three years. The 9NT is the predecessor to the 703 and sounds virtually identical. I would describe the 9NT and 703 as somewhat bass-light with a tendency to be overly bright on some recordings. The kevlar mid-range driver is what gives the 9NT and 703 their class. Vocals and acoustic guitar sound really good so if your first audition of the 703s were to involve a CD like Alison Krauss's "A Hundred Miles Or More" (heavenly female vocals plus a variety of stringed instruments, all beautifully recorded) then you would buy them immediately. However if your preference is for a warm, bass-heavy sound then the 703 will be less suitable.

Nigel.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• mdavis
                      • May 2011

Thanks, everyone. I'm going a bit bonkers here with 11th-hour trepidation. For not much more than used 703's would run me, I can get a pair of n804's. I know these wouldn't be as impressive as the 804S, but I can't imagine them not being a stellar step up from the 703. Would that be a fair assumption?

Comment

• htsteve
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by mdavis
                        Thanks, everyone. I'm going a bit bonkers here with 11th-hour trepidation. For not much more than used 703's would run me, I can get a pair of n804's. I know these wouldn't be as impressive as the 804S, but I can't imagine them not being a stellar step up from the 703. Would that be a fair assumption?

I would agree. The Nautilus 800 series is still an excellent series. I used to own a pair of N804's (and I owned the previous models to the 703 right before that). The N804s are very good speakers.

Make sure you have a good quality amp to get the best out of them. The more current, the better the performance. Your Cambridge will sound pretty nice with the N804's. But a more powerful amp is something to consider down the road.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• KRC
                          • Aug 2004

Ahh, nothing like making the upgrade decision. If only money wasn't the issue and our biggest problem was what piece of equipment to cart out of the store. I do not think that Santa Clause has anymore diamond dust for his 800 line to deliver. All kidding aside, I do not think that you would be disappointed with the 703's especially comparing them to older generations of the 804. At this price point and quality level and age/generation of a few you mention, you really are within a 1/4 inch of each other on the ruler. Unless your issue has anything to do with bragging rights ("I have 800 series"). Plus as they say, any money that you do save goes towards music, cables, treatment or a bottle of whatever when you snuggle up with your significant other after you pull the trigger on the purchase.

Kevin

Comment

• mdavis
                            • May 2011

Thanks, guys. Kevin, I could get an N804 for about $300 more than the 703, so I'm thinking it would be worth it just for the minor improvements and the nicer cabinetry. The N804 I could get is also in dark cherry as opposed to 703's being in black (which I'm not nuts about). I do know that I'd be happy with the 703 though, you're right about that, but the few dollars more would likely be worth it here. Or, is there a chance that the N803 is actually not quite as good a speaker as the more recently designed 703?

Comment

• KRC
                              • Aug 2004

I think you are in the 6 of one and a half dozen of the other, 703 vs old 804 model. Either way, both models need quality power to drive them, either way you can't loose but you need the downstream stuff too.

Kevin

Comment

• Dmantis
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jun 2004

I'm a little late to the party but this trio of speakers are dear to my heart and I have a lot of experience with them all except the Cm9's other then demoing them in a few different places and times.

The CDM9NT was by far one of the very best B&W affordable( to me ) speakers of all time. I felt they where damn close to the then N804's.
                                The 7 series came out and as I thought they looked amazing , I felt they lacked that last word in overall smoothness like B&W tried something different and didn't get it quite right.
                                The CM9's I listened to after falling for the CM7's. I was not shopping for speakers when I listened to them but damn near took them home on the spot.

When I sit in a chair and listen to a stereo pair , I pay attention to my emotions with both my eyes open and closed. When the chair becomes more comfortable and I lose myself in the music ,, at this time I know when I'm listening to a pair of speakers I could live with for a very long time. The CDM9NT's did this , the 703's didn't , the CM7's and followed by the CM9's did this as well.

If I had to pick one out of the bunch I would be torn , but overall the CM9's are the best overall out of this bunch of high quality musical speakers. The CM7's are also one hell of a speaker , they deserve to be loved and played with the highest matching quality system in a quality room.

If I run into a pair of 9nt's used in good shape in cherry , I feel I will be adding them to my collection.

Comment

• dan87951
                                  • Nov 2005

Big CM9 fan here. Love the looks and sound of them. Definitely B&W sweet spot in their lineup! Definitely not a fan of the N804 but love the 804S.
                                  dan87951
                                  audio guru

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"