X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cal264
    • May 2006

New 703"s and center channel of LCR600

Just bought the 703's and the dealer pushed me away from the HTM7 and into the LCR600 for the center channel. He said the one mid/bass woofer would choke with full sound hitting the center channel on the HTM7 and the LCR600 is more appropriate and tweeters are similar enough to the 700 series not to have any issues. Any thoughts .... BTW, they had the LCR600 and I replaced my old cc6 center and it os awesome. The 703 are hear in T minus 4 days and counting .... Im jonesen bad for the new speakers...
  • JohnAng
    • Sep 2005

i have the 703 and had the HTM7 centre.
    the HTM7 is a good little centre speaker and up to the task, were it does fail with the 703 is in the midrange charecteristics.
    The 703 uses the FST midrange driver and the HTM7 does not so the sound is different.
    The same will be said of the 600 series centre.

Like i said the HTM7 is basicaly a 705 turned onto its side.
    I found with movies it did a fine job, but with SACD and DVD audio the difference in sound was very noticable.

I decided to get a 3rd 703 to use as a centre, my other option to get a close to matching centre was the HTM3 from the 800 series range, but price was an issue here

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by cal264
      He said the one mid/bass woofer would choke with full sound hitting the center channel on the HTM7 and the LCR600 is more appropriate and tweeters are similar enough to the 700 series not to have any issues....
      Oh ....that explains why my 705s and HTM7 are always choking on movies like Master and Commander with all that sound hitting the mid/bass drivers......NOT! Ok everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I get a little annoyed when dealers start spinning stories like that one. I don't think any B&Ws choke when you turn them up. The other guys are right, it does lack the FST driver of the 703, but my HTM7 does an excellent job with movie soundtracks. My guess is that your dealer had a stock room full of LCR600 that he was eager to push. (I have nothing against the LCR600 by the way)

There is of course a good way of testing your dealers claims, grab your favourite action movie and listen for yourself.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• cal264
        • May 2006

Thanks ..what about break-in on the 703's

Thanks for the feedback .... Im cool with the 600 for now. Compared to what I had before (the CC6), its miles above and beyond. The HTM7 is fairly cheap so I may get one down the road and compare...

BTW, the 703's get here tomorrow and Im wondering about the method for break-in. I know it takes hours but at what level. Also, I bought the Rotel 1080 and how long can I run the amp during break-in. I was going to run the speakers at low/mid volume for 8 hours a day straight. Any concerns with break-in both speakers and amp ?

Thanks again ...

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"