X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jam200
    • Jan 2009

Advantage/disadvantage to having dual center channel speakers

This is my first official post. I'm interested in knowing the advantages and disadvantages of having dual center channel speakers. I have a Rotel RSP-1068, which allows for dual center speakers. I would use dual B&W HTM7's with 703s in the front. I also have B&W 601's for the center backs and B&W 685's for the surrounds.

I would drive the HTM7's with a Rotel RB-1070. I'm using another RB-1070 to drive the mains and a RMB-1075 to drive the surrounds and center backs.

Appreciate your comments.
  • wgriel
    • May 2006

I'm under the impression that the center channel is a mono stream: I don't see any advantage to using 2 center speakers in this case.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

Also, dual speakers reproducing the same signal but displaced in the horizontal plane with interfere with each other acoustically. The result is irregular dispersion with the so-called "Venetian Blind" effect. There is no good acoustic justification for using two, only esthetic or ergonomic reasons.

Kal
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• William
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
        ...so-called "Venetian Blind" effect. There is no good acoustic justification for using two, only esthetic or ergonomic reasons.

Kal
        Also called audio comb filtering. BAD idea.

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Get the best center channel that you can afford with the best amp and you will have the best. :B

B&W 800D with Classé CAM400
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"