• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

Need SUBWOOFER for my B&W 703 based HT

Hy,
    I search a good sub for my speakers front 703, HTM7 center, cdm 7NT rear.
    electronic Denon

Do you think is better B&W sub or other constuctor?
    I have see the new PV1 and many people say and write a very good sub,
    better as 700 & co.?
    What do you think?

Thank's
    style
    Switzerland
  • Clepto
    • Feb 2006

Personally, I'd go for the PV1 only for the aesthetic reasons. I've incorporated an SVS sub into my 602s, but generally if you go with a sub company, you can get better value. Velodyne's subs with the digital room correction are also interesting.

Comment

• worldys
      • Dec 2005

you can get a much better sounding sub than the pv1 for the same amount spent, the pv1 looks good but performance is somewhat lacking, i would say go with a veldoyne if space is an issue, rel if not

s

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by worldys
        you can get a much better sounding sub than the pv1 for the same amount spent, the pv1 looks good but performance is somewhat lacking, i would say go with a veldoyne if space is an issue, rel if not

s

I wonder what makes people say things like this. Sure extra money is spent for the looks...as it should be. That aside...for the size of that sub it performs very well. It is extreemly acurate. While it may not rock the house as some bigger subs its pretty hard to find a sub in that price range which snound more accurate and tight sounding.

If you are thinking of this sub read the profesional reviews. All professional reviews rate it extreemly well.

Comment

• worldys
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
          I wonder what makes people say things like this. Sure extra money is spent for the looks...as it should be. That aside...for the size of that sub it performs very well. It is extreemly acurate. While it may not rock the house as some bigger subs its pretty hard to find a sub in that price range which snound more accurate and tight sounding.

If you are thinking of this sub read the profesional reviews. All professional reviews rate it extreemly well.
          i listened to the sub at a dealer who also carried velodyne and logans and simply wasn't impressed with the pv1, i think that for the same price you can get a better sounding product by other brands, i am not saying there is anything wrong with compromising a bit on performance for aesthetic appeal, but it is my opinion that you are compromising

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by worldys
            i listened to the sub at a dealer who also carried velodyne and logans and simply wasn't impressed with the pv1, i think that for the same price you can get a better sounding product by other brands, i am not saying there is anything wrong with compromising a bit on performance for aesthetic appeal, but it is my opinion that you are compromising

Speaking in CDN dollars it can be bought for about $1,800. Lets say 30% conservatively goes to looks. Do you think that for $1,200 CDN (APX $900 USD) can buy a better sounding sub?

Comment

• Budwardo
              • Mar 2006

sub for 703s

I just bought the 703s and 706s for the rears. Very pleased with them after the break in period.I have a REL Storm sub whichis very accurate but a little lacking in punch. Added an Art of Sound sub which has the Rel connectors as well as line level (accurate and punchy).

Comment

• grit
                • Jan 2005

Hi Style,

I had the 703's, htm7, and 705's (in rosenut, what a beautiful color). I originally had an entry level Velodyne 10" sub, which sounded... awful with the 703's. Not because it's Velodyne (they make great stuff), but because it was in such a lower price category than the 703s. I added the B&W ASW700, and WOW, such a difference. A very tight, fast, musical sub that still held it's own for movies.

Since then, I've upgraded my speakers and I'm looking to move to an ASW825. Nothing wrong with my ASW700, just time to match the new speakers with a sub that'll not stand out (I can't go with the sub that matches my speakers... it runs $5k, about 2x my budget).

My point - get a sub that matches your speakers and you wont be disappointed.

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

Velodyne is sure better for Movie but for music i think is REL better.
                  In switzerland Velodyne is very expensive (dd10 around € 2500 = CHF.3900 = USD. 3050!!). The B&W 750 can be buy vor USD. 2250 (listing price!!)

PV1: ok, new look, new tecnologie!? (wy hope) but is sure no so expendive
                  (USD. 1850 list.price!) The sound from PV1 is the first thema and dann
                  the look.
                  PV1 look like or don't like.

Macht with DD serie's is not possibile = 2 different World

Comment

• shades
                    • Mar 2005

The 703s sound good on their own in 2 channel listening. Are you playing in 2 channel or integrating a sub with your music? Also consider paradigm siezmic 12
                    B&W, McIntosh, Rotel, PS3, OPPO, Pioneer, Cat Cables, Sound Anchors

Comment

• asrovnal
                      • Jan 2005

I also have a full complement of 700s and utilize the asw700 which as above, matches perfectly. Was using a Velodyne 8 inch with 10 inch passive raditor, keeping it because it does sound good but, the ASW 700 matches tonally (new word ?).

Comment

• Alloroc
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Dec 2005

Hi,

In my 703 based HT setup, I have the ASW750 and it's quite the sub. It has a 1000w class-d amp and a huge heatsink. It fits in perfectly with my 703s in my room and works great for music also, although in my HT room , I listen to music DVDs rather than CD/SACD etc. Anyhow, I think it's well worth an audition.
                        Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"