B&W small setup - front "???", Back 2xM1, Sides 2xM1, center 1xM1 - please help :)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tudorvok
    • Jan 2009

B&W small setup - front "???", Back 2xM1, Sides 2xM1, center 1xM1 - please help :)

Since this is my first post I would like to say Hello to everyone from this forum, everyone reading this and many thanks for trying to help.

Hopefully I am posting this into the right place...

My small home theater setup is made of:

B&W MT-30 (5xM1 + 1xPV1) drived by an Onkyo TX-SR875

My listening room is 4m x 4.5m ( approx. 14 x 18 feet) and I am very pleased with the sound quality of any of my hobbies - 1 music, 2 movies, 3 games on this setup.

I am using a great receiver/amplifier and I feel like I wold upgrade my system to a 7.1 one and I would need to get some advices regarding the purchase of the front speakers ( i will change the m1's). I though about buying one of these: 805S , 705 or 685 because I need more power for listening to music. Is any of this too powerful for my room (4m x 4.5m ( approx. 14 x 18 feet) or does it make any sound difference between them when listening to in such room ?

A test would have been so helpful but there is only 1 local dealer in my town and they don't have any of these on stock.

Many Thanks :T
    If you don't know what you want you'll never get it :sn
  • dknightd
    • Mar 2006

805S , 705 or 685 would all be fine in your room. If you replace the two fronts, you might also want to replace the center to match the sound for movies.

Comment

• planitismetal
      • Dec 2008

I have also M1 center and 2xrear, and for front speakers I got 805s... I listen music 95% and 5% video, so, for now I don't want any upgrade in my center... I thinlk room is ok because mine is similar and I listen also heavy metal with my system!!! So, it's up to you and your wallet... But I have to tell you that 805s are too detailed speakers...

Comment

• tudorvok
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by dknightd
        805S , 705 or 685 would all be fine in your room. If you replace the two fronts, you might also want to replace the center to match the sound for movies.
        Originally posted by planitismetal
        But I have to tell you that 805s are too detailed speakers...
        fast help! Lots of thanks. it sounds like a good idea to change the center but my budget won't go that far so i will change the front first, see what happens next and let you know. hope it won't be very necessary.

what exactly does "too detailed" want to say?

Cheers & σε ευχαριστώ

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

tudorvok,

I'm not exactly sure what planitismetal means by too detailed, but I will take a chance. The 805S is very clean, very revealing. The better the electronics in front of it, the better the performance. Conversely, running 805S's off of a receiver will not allow the 805S's to shine to their full potential.

Have you considered towers? 600 series towers offer great performance for the money.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Ken49r
            • Dec 2007

tudorvok,
            If you are happy with the Onkyo and plan to stay with receivers within that budget for future upgrades then I would suggest any B&W series below the 800's.
            I have owned 602s3,705,805s, all run on an Onkyo TX-SR804 receiver. The 705 was my favorite of the 3 paired with the Onkyo. Now the 685 has very good reviews and is the replacement to the 602s3. You should be very happy with those as well paired with the rest of your system and save a few bucks.

Comment

• Alfonso
              • Aug 2007

Maybe XT-4´s....that way you can stay with the looks of the M1 and have a little punch in the front speakers.
              You can add a center from the XT series later.

Comment

• planitismetal
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by htsteve
                tudorvok,

I'm not exactly sure what planitismetal means by too detailed, but I will take a chance. The 805S is very clean, very revealing. The better the electronics in front of it, the better the performance. Conversely, running 805S's off of a receiver will not allow the 805S's to shine to their full potential.

Have you considered towers? 600 series towers offer great performance for the money.

Hope this helps.

Thanks... That's what I meant... Sorry but my english are horrible...
                With 805s I can hear details never heard before...

Comment

• tudorvok
                  • Jan 2009

sure, the replies help alot. now that my path is clear i will pay my dealer a visit and see what my options are (after consulting the prices). i have checked the XT specs and pics and they would defiently match but the 685s would also fit excellent.
                  I made some upgrades to the listening room and it is almost ready. i payed a little attention to the acoustics with some polystyrene plywoods in the corners. hope to get something nice out of it so any "room acoustic advices" are friendly welcome.
                  :T

Comment

• htsteve
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by planitismetal
                    Thanks... That's what I meant... Sorry but my english are horrible...
                    With 805s I can hear details never heard before...
                    planitismetal,

You're english is pretty decent. I was just trying to help the OP.
                    You are very correct in saying the the 805S's will allow you to hear details like never before.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"