X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

I love the 685!!

Sorry I just had to make another thread and my bad if it annoys the some of you guys..

But this is for someone who's interested in the 685 and especially an opinion from someone that has moved on down from a pair of 805S to 685 and I know money was an issue but wow.. at times I cannot believe that the 685 is only $600!!

At first I could easily hear the difference from the 685 from the 805S but after a few days now of breaking them in.. wow the tweeter has come alive!!

If your on a tight budget I would highly recommend the 685 especially in a relatively small room to even a medium sized room. The reviews are dead on and I can see why the 685 has won the awards that it has won.

I guess for me though my current electronics are driving the 685 pretty well but maybe it wasnt enough for the 805S. But with mp3 listening wow it sounds exactlly the same and for movies these speakers are great for even 2 channel.

I'm still blown away from the tweeters and even the midrange. I did notice that watching the movie corpses bride that some scenes where when they showed the skeletons that the skeleton's crunching noise is less apparent as to the 805S but the detail wasnt far behind it! The bass is a bit more loose but louder which is great!

The 805S will probably blow the 685 out of the water with superior pre/amp but for a low budget speakers with an $1000 pre/amp setup, all I can say is wow.

Pretty much if your on a budget or need an entry level speakers you have to give the 685's a try!

All I can say is that I will keep using these speakers and upgrade my pre/amp slowly first to the mcintosh that I want to match. Then finally I will probably replace the speakers (I know its backwards but this is what I came up with) probably with 803S or 803D! :
  • Alfonso
    • Aug 2007

Is great to know that you´re happy whith the 685. I might give them a try in a small HT for my living room and use them as fronts, sience room space is limited. I currently own 5 M1´s, play them with a sub x-over at 80 Hz and they sound great for a speaker that little. Maybe the 600 series will improve my front stage and 2 channel music. Electronics are Denon 3808CI as pre and Rotel 1075 Multichannel amp for power.

Comment

• Tommy
      • Dec 2006

Enjoy the speakers! If you go with the McIntosh in the future, it'll bring out the best in your 685!

Comment

• jjahshik32
        • Sep 2007

Yea I'm currently slowwwly saving up for the pre amp first. Looking at the c2200 and then after that saving up for the amp possibly the mc402.

Then after those two are accomplished I will save for the 803D. I came to the conclusion that the 803D will be the end of my list.

Comment

• wgriel
          • May 2006

Well congratulations!

The 685 has been extremely well reviewed - I was looking at a "What Hi-Fi" magazine at a newstand and they seem to be very impressed with it and thought it could easily sell for double what it does.

Glad to hear you are liking your system.

Comment

• Tommy
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by jjahshik32
            Yea I'm currently slowwwly saving up for the pre amp first. Looking at the c2200 and then after that saving up for the amp possibly the mc402.

Then after those two are accomplished I will save for the 803D. I came to the conclusion that the 803D will be the end of my list.
            Awesome plan! Now this is something to really look forward to.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"