X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffk
    • Jan 2008

Is 803S/D that much better than N803?

I know there are many here who have heard them all. Just curious as to how much better the newer versions are compared to the N803. Is it really worth trading up? And no, I'm not in position to leap to 802 (N or D). I've also been wondering about the Von Schweikert VR4jr, but guess that may be for another post or forum. Thanks..Jeff
  • atchudy
    • Nov 2007

I imgaine the D is because of the tweeter and the extra bass driver. I dont know about the S?

Comment

• misterdoggy
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Not the same speaker at all

just because it has the 803 Denomination doesn't make them the same

The diamond Tweeter is better in the highs and the extra Bass makes the whole cabinet different.

Comment

• William
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by misterdoggy
        Not the same speaker at all

just because it has the 803 Denomination doesn't make them the same

The diamond Tweeter is better in the highs and the extra Bass makes the whole cabinet different.
        Agreed, I looked at (listened to) the 803S and 803D about 2 years ago and they shouldn't share the same number* (bought 803D's). The highs are a given (diamond vs. aluminum) and not even in the same league. However the D's also have a much better low end output and the S's are extreme lacking by comparison (the larger cabinet seems to really help the low end even more than the extra driver). In a 2 channel system you would need a subwoofer with the S's to get by but not necessary with the D's.

*B&W should reduce the number of speakers in the 800 series and the 803S's is one of the models to drop.

Comment

• scanido
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by William
          Agreed, I looked at (listened to) the 803S and 803D about 2 years ago and they shouldn't share the same number* (bought 803D's). The highs are a given (diamond vs. aluminum) and not even in the same league. However the D's also have a much better low end output and the S's are extreme lacking by comparison (the larger cabinet seems to really help the low end even more than the extra driver). In a 2 channel system you would need a subwoofer with the S's to get by but not necessary with the D's.

*B&W should reduce the number of speakers in the 800 series and the 803S's is one of the models to drop.
          I auditioned the 803D/S as well and found that the "D" was not worth $3000 extra. The diamond tweeter was no doubt smoother, but the "S" tweeter was not that far off and it initially sounded like it had more detail but the extra slight brightness can be attributed to the nature of the material. The savings to me was better spent on balancing the system out with the same caliber of electronics.

As long as you couple the speaker to the right electronics you can get the 803D and 803S pretty damn close in performance! :T

Besides i think the 803S looks far better and it also has a flatter frequency response!! :lol: Both are great speakers and i suggest to listen to them both and find out yourself if the the difference is worth it you. Personally i like buying current products so for me it would either be the 803S/D. I went with the "S" for a well rounded 5.1 system.

Comment

• Jeffk
            • Jan 2008

Thanks for the replies so far. Let me clarify: I have the N803. Wondering if there is a big enough improvement to consider either the 803S or D. I had heard that the D had a smoother top and had greater bass (does have an extra driver), and was looking to hear what those of you in the "club" had to say. I admit that I had not heard many say that the S was nearly as good as the D. So back to the big question: am I making big jump from N803 to either of these? Very interested to hear opinions on this. Thanks again...

Comment

• Jeffk
              • Jan 2008

BTW, I'm sure you can probably smooth out the top end with a good tube preamp, copper wire, tube cdp, etc.

Comment

• scanido
                • Apr 2006

Now that you clarified that you already have the N803, then going to the "S" would probably only offer a substantial improvement and thus i would probably go for the 803D for a more compelling reason to upgrade. I haven't heard the Nautilus versions but i read that the "S" tweeter is a lot smoother sounding.

Really though i think the 802D's is where it's at! Maybe you should consider those for a greater difference?

Comment

• speakerboy
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Jeffk
                  Thanks for the replies so far. Let me clarify: I have the N803. Wondering if there is a big enough improvement to consider either the 803S or D. I had heard that the D had a smoother top and had greater bass (does have an extra driver), and was looking to hear what those of you in the "club" had to say. I admit that I had not heard many say that the S was nearly as good as the D. So back to the big question: am I making big jump from N803 to either of these? Very interested to hear opinions on this. Thanks again...
                  You'll probably make a bigger jump with the 803D but I haven't heard the 803S. I had the N803 and upgraded to 803D. They were demos discounted down to $5K and took them without listening to them. Once I got them home, everyone agreed the 803D speakers sounded crisper and cleaner than the N803, not to mention bigger/taller and heavier. The 803S is an improved N803 (same enclosure I think, improved crossover, improved speaker components). But that diamond tweeter and improved midrange made a big difference to me and my friends. I could tell my former HTM1 didn't quite match the timber and sound of the newer 803D speakers, which made me eager for the HTM2D to arrive. If I were you, I'd consider the 803D...it would seem like you're paying MORE for almost the same thing for an 803S. If I didn't have and N803, I'd probably have started with the 803S as my first B&W 800 series speaker. Then again, if I didn't get such a good deal on the 803D, I probably wouldn't have upgraded at all in this bad economy. Like you, I am in not the market for an 802D either...unless I get a good deal.
                  Last edited by speakerboy; 07 February 2009, 13:15 Saturday.

Comment

• Jeffk
                    • Jan 2008

Yeah, the 803D is making me restless. Funny thing this hobby. I just upgraded from CDM 9NT to N803/Htm1 this past summer. The difference was huge. Then upgraded electronics to Sunfire TGA5200 amp (wow), Sunfire TGP5 pre/pro (excellent) and modded Denon 3930ci (mod by The Upgrade Company yielded spectacular results in 2 channel SQ). Yet, I'm still thinking I can improve 2 channel SQ even further (of course I can, for more dough$$). Question is what do I want to do next, and what will make biggest improvement for $3-4k: add good 2 channel preamp (like Aesthetix, Dodd, Modwright, BAT, Cary), or add good 2 channel amp (thinking Nuforce, maybe Spectron), or add integrated amp (Plinius 9200, Pass, Rowland, Levinson), or upgrade the main speakers to 803D? Decisions, decisions. Opinions?

Comment

• beden1
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by scanido
                      I auditioned the 803D/S as well and found that the "D" was not worth $3000 extra. The diamond tweeter was no doubt smoother, but the "S" tweeter was not that far off and it initially sounded like it had more detail but the extra slight brightness can be attributed to the nature of the material. The savings to me was better spent on balancing the system out with the same caliber of electronics.

As long as you couple the speaker to the right electronics you can get the 803D and 803S pretty damn close in performance! :T
                      IMO, the $3,000 difference between the 803D and 803S is worth every penny, and much more! It's like comparing a standard C6 Corvette to a C6 ZO6 Corvette. The difference is like night and day.

Comment

• Oddiophile
                        • Jul 2008

Jeff:

If my experience in going from the 802N to the 802D is anything to go by, then Beden's comment is spot on.

Comment

• scanido
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                          IMO, the $3,000 difference between the 803D and 803S is worth every penny, and much more! It's like comparing a standard C6 Corvette to a C6 ZO6 Corvette. The difference is like night and day.
                          At the end of the day there both still corvettes, both great cars! :T

Comment

• beden1
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by scanido
                            At the end of the day there both still corvettes, both great cars! :T
                            Agreed! :T

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"