X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • losmags
    • Jan 2009

Mixing and matching? Help!

Hey all. New guy here (as the "1" post count indicates ).

Here's a quick question for which I really need help... some background first I guess...

For my home theater, I'll have two B&W 602 S3 speakers for the front, and two B&W 600 F3 in the back. There's also a bass speaker, but I don't recall the name.

For the center channel, I have a CC6.

Here's the question (two parts):
    1. Can I use a VM6 in place of the CC6 and have it not significantly affect the timbre (I think that's the word)?
    2. What other slimmer, mountable center speaker options do I have to replace the CC6?

Thanks!
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

losmags,

Welcome to the forum! Lot's of good information in here.

First, what is the problem or issue you are trying to solve? It sounds like you want something wall mountable as opposed to the CC6.

To answer your question, the VM6 or any other center channel other than the 600 series will sound a bit different (tonality, timbre). And it's important to match the front three spealers if at all possible. It creates an integrated wall of sound.

If you need wall mountable, you might consider trading in/selling the 602's/CC6 and getting 3 VM1's or even 3 VM6's. This would keep the front three the same. And the rears are still B&W, which is giid.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• losmags
      • Jan 2009

That's exactly the issue: I need the center speaker wall mountable, but want to keep the rest of the speakers the same (I just don't have the money to replace them all).

Will it really be that noticeable if the center speaker is different? Obviously, I know it *will* be different, but will it wreck the overall sound or just sound completely odd with a different center channel? Are the drivers for the VM6 and 602's that different sounding?

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

losmags,

I understand the budget issue. We've all been there. Will the VM1 or VM6 sound different than the 602's. Yes. Will it be significantly different, probably not to much. It's still a B&W, with some shared engineering.

I would opt for the VM6, as it's specs and drivers would suggest it will perform more closely to the 602's.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• losmags
          • Jan 2009

It does help, and thank you very very much. I believe I'll go for a VM6 and mix it in with the 602's.

Again, thanks. In a couple weeks when everything's set up, I'll be sure to update on how it sounds

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"