X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marc seals
    • Sep 2000

New Center Channel and a new convert!

WELL I bit the bullet today and bought a new center. I had been considering it for awhile but just hadn't made up my mind.

Well anyway I bought a demo B&W Matrix HTM. I had originally planned on getting a B&W LCR but after listening to both along with a CC6 (my old center) I decided to go with the HTM. The main reason was that it sounded better at higher volume levels than either of the others, at least to me anyway.

So I tried it out tonight with several movies and am really pleased with the performance as compared to my old CC6.

BTW the main reason I decided to bite the bullet was kind of sneaky. A friend has been condidering upgrading all of his audio gear and really liked my setup. So I made him a deal on my CC6 and my old speaker stands with the promise that he would buy at least 602's or better to replace his KLH towers for the front. He was worried about losing the little bit of bass that he had with the KLH's so I will also sell him my Shiva sonosub as soon as I get my new sonosub completed to take care of that problem as well.

Not too shabby all around, I covered 2/3 of the cost of the HTM and will have a decent setup to listen to when I visit his place to watch flicks now!!!!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

way to go marc BTW guess who's got yet another amp on the way

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Marc, how much difference was the HTM vs the LCR, performance and cost wise. I'm contemplating a LCR.

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• marc seals
        • Sep 2000

Well performance wise I liked the (HTM) sound better. It(to me) seemed a little more detailed and less congested when playing at LOUD volume levels compared to the LCR and even more so than the CC6. Both the LCR and the HTM have better low freq response than the CC6(78Hz - 20kHz ± 2dB) , so even with the center channel set as small it doesn't run out of steam when it is asked to play the lower freqs (imho). I also thought the HTM was a better match for my 604 S2 than the CC6 series 1 that I sold.

As for price well the LCR is 500.00 retail and the HTM has been discontinued for a while. I have watched E-Bay for quite some time and noticed a price range of 450-650 with a few exceptions. I payed 500.00 with a full warranty. But I got 250 for my CC6+speaker stands so net price was only 250.00. (kind of)

Also the Matrix series was the king of the hill before being phased out for the nautilus series, so I figured why just step up to a larger speaker when I can go up the food chain for the same price as well.

Comment

• marc seals
          • Sep 2000

BTW guess who's got yet another amp on the way
          Hmmm well I don't think I have any on order (yet) so congratulations are in order !!!
          BTW what did you get????

Comment

• KennyG
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2000

Marc, nothing "sneaky" about selling your old gear to a friend, that's the best way to upgrade, and if your friend finds the gear satisfactory (he must, or he wouldn't have bought it) then both parties come out with what they want!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"