X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

B&W 804S amplification

i would like to bi-amp my new speakers when i get them, any recommendations using rotel equipment
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • Horacio
    • Jan 2005

Mine would be to get one better amp rather than two Rotels. Rotels are great for some speakers, but I find 804s too resolving for them. I used to run 804s with RB1080 and replaced it with a McIntosh MC275, which is 2x75W from tubes vs. 2x200W SS and the MC275 outdoes the Rotel in every single aspect. Try auditioning McIntosh (tubes or solid state), Classe, and Rotel with 804s and let your ears decide.

Cheers,

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Bi-amp with Rotel, not really.

I strongly suspect you would be happier with an 803s and your 1080 over the 804 biamped. The theory goes that to truely get the benefits of bi-amping you need to run the speakers active. That way each amplifier only sees the load relevant to its own driver. Its a path for achieving better quality sound. Its not really for pushing the speaker harder.

Your other post indicates you are primarily looking for higher SPLs. In that case doubling you amplifier power will give you 3db more before running into clipping. Buying more efficient speakers will give you more volume from the same amp.

I suspect that you have your heart set on the 804s but you will be looking to upgrade again sooner rather than later. If someone talks about maximum bass volume I don't think B&W 804s.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• BWLover
        • Jan 2009

"The theory goes that to truely get the benefits of bi-amping you need to run the speakers active. That way each amplifier only sees the load relevant to its own driver"

could you explain this in more detail
        Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
        Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
        Playstation 3
        Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• Briz vegas
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

This from Naim should assist

In an active system a ..... electronic crossover divides the audio spectrum into two or three separate frequency bands, depending on the loudspeaker type employed.

The crossover is connected between the preamplifier and power amplifiers. Each power amplifier is then connected directly to the appropriate loudspeaker drive unit, and only handles one frequency band. This allows better control of the drive unit resulting in more accurate music reproduction. As there is no passive crossover no amplifier power is wasted and information loss is minimised.

The great potential possessed by an active system demands not only source components of the very highest quality but also for them to be perfectly matched and installed.
          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Horacio
            • Jan 2005

BWLover.

Briz is right. For further info on this you might want to check out http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm.

I have been toying with the idea of biamping my 804s with my tubed MC275 for mids?highs and my RB1080 for bass. Purpose would be to get of these 2 amps what they are best at. I would need an external crossover, such as a Bryston 10B, to do it right, though. I'm not searching higher volumes, though.

I hope this helps.

Comment

• Audio_ElF
              • Oct 2007

Speaking based on personal experience I've had good results bi amping lower end B&W speakers. I have run both 602s2 and CDM 7NT using 2 channels of a Rotel RMB1075 for each speaker. However I would also say that a single "better" amp provided a better result with the speakers.

If buying from scratch I would say get the best amp you can, but adding a second identical or near identical (ie a Rotel 1080 and 1090 together) can provide good results which may be cost effective as an upgrade.

I've no experience adding an external active crossover so can comment on that aspect of Horacio's last post but unless you have a seondary control to balance them power amps that don't have identical gain will not work well together bi amping a speaker as your bass section will be louder then mid/treble (or vice versa). It's best to stck to dentical power amps or those from same manufacturer with identical gains.

Basically in answer to bi amping and if it's worth it: you need to demo and preferably in your home, or if you can get a second hand bargain on an amp matching one you already have it can give worthwhile improvements in my experience.

Eloise

Comment

• BWLover
                • Jan 2009

ya my dealer told me to use identical amps to. i was wrong in thinking that a bigger amp on the bottem would be good. i thought because the low end is harder to drive then more power would me better. i was wrong. dealer said just use two 1080's.
                Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                Playstation 3
                Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• crytklmass
                  • Dec 2008

my opinion, I wouldn't mix rotel and mcintosh together. I agree on buying a larger amp depending on your budget. I just sold my rotel 1090 and 1095 for mcintosh 501's for my b&W 802d's I would think a Mcintosh 205 would be sufficient and offers expansion for future growth while not being too expensive. I paid $2500 on audiogon and it really opened up my b&w scm1 rears and HTM2D center. Im sure its more than enough power and more efficient for your 804s. how much do 2 rotel 1080's cost, and you may get a different sound my mixing amps. or maybe buy a mc252 or you could buy another mc275 and use them as mono amps. there's a few options for ya.
                  BOB

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"