X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ray5
    • Dec 2008

B&W discount

Hi! The two dealers I have spoken to are not going beyond a 15% discount on the retail price. Is that what is normal or should I push for more? My total purchase is around 13 grand.
  • joetama
    • May 2006

I would think that is pretty typical. I know one of the dealers around here wouldn't go any less than 10% and the other is currently out of business.
    -Joe

Comment

• wgriel
      • May 2006

I'd say 15% is great! I typically get closer to about 12% with my purchases, though it does depend.

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

ray5,

In my experience, 5-10% is typical, 15% is quite good on new equipment.
        Used and demo's are of course a different price structure.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• ray5
          • Dec 2008

Thanks

Comment

• Ken49r
            • Dec 2007

15% is great! They won't go below that unless it's a special promotion or clearance item.

I got my RSP-1069 cheaper than my dealer will be able to sell his demo unit considering, he ordered mine when Rotel lowered the price to clear out remaining stock for the new 15 series.

Comment

• Relentless
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Ken49r
              15% is great! They won't go below that.
              I guess my dealer really likes me.
              I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
              Lou

Comment

• Russ L
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Relentless
                I guess my dealer really likes me.
                Me as well. If you are ordering the soon to be discontinued 700 series you might be able to get more off if the dealer's distributor has any specials available.
                Regards,
                Russ

Comment

• Allegiance
                  • Sep 2006

I get 20-25% but the company I used to work for bought heaps of gear through them so that helped :P

Comment

• style
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2006

Hi,

In Switzerland the B&W (Rotel/Classe/B&W) Dealer may sell the goods to the max. with 6% 8O 8O
                    If B&W "main house" discovers more discounts the dealer does not receive more goods and out of business

This of the paper... :W

Style

Comment

• HedgeHog
                      • Dec 2008

In pricing out a set of 802D, HTM2D, 805S, and ASW855, I was told that I "might" get 10% off. B&W really discourages any discounts. If I need to get warranty done and need to submit my invoice, it will get the dealer in trouble if it shows a lot of discount on their product.

Having said that, they told me if I were to get some electronics bundled in, some of those are more margins to play with; thereby, effectively increasing the package discount.
                      Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                      Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                      B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                      Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                      Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• Gremal
                        • Apr 2007

Buy more and save.

I think any B&W dealer offering gear for more than 10% off is selling you demo models.
                        Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                        Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                        B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                        VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                        Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• joetama
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by Gremal
                          Buy more and save.

I think any B&W dealer offering gear for more than 10% off is selling you demo models.
                          When I got my RSP-1098 I got 30% off and my 703 were about 25% off... :T

I always ask if the display stuff is for sale.
                          -Joe

Comment

• emig5m
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by joetama
                            When I got my RSP-1098 I got 30% off and my 703 were about 25% off... :T

I always ask if the display stuff is for sale.
                            My dealer has let me take home any speaker I've requested as long as I swipe my credit card for insurance that I bring them back undamaged and receive full refund for the allowed time of the in home trial once I bring them back. They have also let me borrow display speakers to use until my orders of new speakers came in. I think I got 10% on all new speakers and 15% on floor/demo models (non of which where in perfectly pristine shape though - the 600 series grill spikes break off real easy if not taken off carefully).

The owner of my local B&W dealer seems to be real cool and a easy going guy compared to other stories I've heard of high end dealers where people have been talked down to, phones hung on them, refusing to even play a set of 800's if no deposit was put down up front, no discounts at all, forcing products out of peoples budget ranges, etc... I was picking up a order of speakers and he was assisting a older couple that obviously didn't know much at all about hi-fi and only wanted a simple wall mount/in wall system and not one time did he try to force higher end products or talk in audiophile lingo and explained everything in a very simple easy to understand way.

As a matter of fact, even after calling and saying I was just going to keep the demo 683's (because I was so blown away by the sound quality the broken grills didn't bother that much at the time, but never owning a brand new pair of front mains and always winding up with floor models I just wanted all brand new for a change) about two/three weeks later after my purchase of the floor models was a done deal and wanting brand new ones, lol, I called up and asked if I could still get brand new speakers.... he ordered me brand new ones right away no questions asked and swapped me back for the floor demos when they came in, lol. :E Now that's what I call first class service! :T

Comment

• emig5m
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by HedgeHog
                              In pricing out a set of 802D, HTM2D, 805S, and ASW855, I was told that I "might" get 10% off. B&W really discourages any discounts. If I need to get warranty done and need to submit my invoice, it will get the dealer in trouble if it shows a lot of discount on their product.

Having said that, they told me if I were to get some electronics bundled in, some of those are more margins to play with; thereby, effectively increasing the package discount.
                              Why would B&W themselves care if a dealer loses it's own profits to discounts? Doesn't the dealer take the hit of a discount and not B&W? Heck, with this economy a half a loaf of bread is much better than no loaf at all!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by emig5m
                                Why would B&W themselves care if a dealer loses it's own profits to discounts? Doesn't the dealer take the hit of a discount and not B&W? Heck, with this economy a half a loaf of bread is much better than no loaf at all!
                                Yep! When I was a sales sup I knew my margins and would always ask something along the lines of "woud you like me to get this for you? No? What would it take for you to enjoy XXXX today?"

They say give me "XX% off/ toss in those accys (MARGIN) etc. the deal was done.

Little margin is better than none at all, any day of the week.
                                B&W

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by emig5m
                                  Simply a brand image thing, methinks. On a related note, I tried haggling on my Panerai watches, MSRP was the only thing authourized dealers will do. I'm sure dealers have leeway to negotiate better prices on some range but I guess the 800s need to uphold some perceived "standard". :W

BTW, demo stuff was available at 20% off...too bad not the colour I wanted. :cry:
                                  Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                                  Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                                  B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                                  Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                                  Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• emig5m
                                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by HedgeHog
                                    Simply a brand image thing, methinks. On a related note, I tried haggling on my Panerai watches, MSRP was the only thing authourized dealers will do. I'm sure dealers have leeway to negotiate better prices on some range but I guess the 800s need to uphold some perceived "standard". :W

BTW, demo stuff was available at 20% off...too bad not the colour I wanted. :cry:
                                    Interesting... I was already told beforehand from my dealer I would get 10% off on 800 series if I ever decide to go that route. Would B&W rather have their well established dealers go out of business in tougher times or make some sales at a discounts and get by until times get better? I don't think they should frown on dealer giving discounts, especially right now... If the dealer is willing to take a profit hit, that should be up to them.

Comment

• ray5
                                      • Dec 2008

Buy more and save.

Incorrect. They are all for new gear. I went to a second dealer because the first one did not have the 700's for demo. The 2nd one said the same, no matter what I picked he would give me 15 % off. I am not interested in floor models so did not ask. They will not go beyond that but seeing the discussion I am happy that 15 % is a good deal.

Comment

• kmcheng
                                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by ray5
                                        Incorrect. They are all for new gear. I went to a second dealer because the first one did not have the 700's for demo. The 2nd one said the same, no matter what I picked he would give me 15 % off. I am not interested in floor models so did not ask. They will not go beyond that but seeing the discussion I am happy that 15 % is a good deal.
                                        I got 15% on my 805 without asking. Then I mentioned that I am also getting
                                        the stands, the Zeppelin, some electronics and some floor models, I got significantly better discounts on those. I made it very clear to the dealer that I needed to demo all my new purchases at home and would more than likely return at least some of them. He had no problem with it and let me take all the stuffs home. I did end up returning some of the items, but I also kept my discounts.

Comment

• Relentless
                                          • Jul 2007

Buy more and save.

nope...
                                          I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                                          Lou

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"