CLASSE SSP-300 vs McIntosh MX-119 for B&W 803S?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scanido
    • Apr 2006

CLASSE SSP-300 vs McIntosh MX-119 for B&W 803S?

Hey guys,

I am willing to upgrade my trusty Rotel RSX-1057 for either one of the processors listed in the subject. I have a McIntosh MC205 multi-channel amp and at first thought, one would couple the amp with the corresponding MX-119 from the same company, but I can get both for relatively the same price. Unfortunately I do not have the time nor the access to hear either one of the processors with my amp so I am enlisting help for everyone here who has compared either one of these processors. Amp aside, which one would you go with and why??

Thanks all!
  • jericho
    • Dec 2004

I'd go with the MX-120 from Mcintosh, you find it for a good price on audiogon and it makes a wonderful combi with your MC205. I myself have the mx-135. I would not take the mx-119 because it does not have HDMI. For the few $ more you have the MX-120 with HDMI (only 1.1)

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

Hallo scanido,

If you have a MC205 go whit a MC....

I have had a MC205 too, sold and I'm go to Classe....

Like jericho wrote:
      the MX119 or 120(HDMI!!) BUT you can have a Mx119 for a good price and buy a separate video scaler like DVDO Edge. HDMI at 1.3....one of the best product in this liga price!! and what for performances!!!!!

Greetings Style

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

scanido,

First, either choice should be a very nice sound improvement. I have the MC205 and a MX120 driving 802D's, HTM2D and N804's. It is a wonderful combination with truly excellent performance (both in 2 channel and HT). I tend to favor using the amp and pre-amp from the same company. The integration tends to be very good.

As noted, the MX119 does not contain HDMI. The MX120 does have HDMI and will scale non HD video up to 1080p (HD video is simply passed through). Also note that neither unit will decode the new HD audio formats. My Blu ray player does the decoding and sends the audio via analog to the MX120.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

@scanido,

how do you go pay for a Mx119 vs. Mx120...this is the point.

A separat scaler /video is sure better what you can have ohres product.

the DVDO Edge in not very expensive (expec. vs. the 50Pro!! -$.800???)

at first all the preampli from MC are very overpriced!!!!!
          with the 119/120 you go have XLR "only2 for the front (L/C/R) and with the 135/136 all channel are with XLR....

get out your money ONLY for what you really need. (is better wait a moment and save money for buy a 135/136 in place to buy a 119/120 abd in a paar month go change it..OR???

Style

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

I believe in synergy. If you like Mc' and you already have a Mc' amp, get the Mc' pre.
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• scanido
              • Apr 2006

Sounds to me like the consensus is keeping with the Mac. There are some great prices now on the MX-119 and it is tempting to upgrade but do you think I will be gaining much more in terms of sound quality over my RSX-1057, for movies and 2-Channel?

I would obviously like to take advantage of the new HD audio formats via HDMI, but this option does not exist yet, at least for McIntosh. I went to the dealer and the sales rep recommended the new Rotel Processor RSP-1057.

For those who desire the ultimate performance and maximum flexibility from their home theater, the RSP-1570 is the surround preamp/processor to own.

The new processor would give me the new HDMI that supports the new HD audio and it is more recent, which may or maynot be up to par with the older McIntosh. What do you guys think???

Comment

• htsteve
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

scanido,

I totally understand your dilemma. I had Rotel and went to the Mac's. I knew going in that the Mac's didn't do the new HD audio formats. That meant I needed a Blu Ray player that will decode these formats and send the signals out via analog RCA's. There are plenty of good BR players out now that do this.

The overall sound increase is quite large with the Mac. I would definitely get the MX-119 and the correct BR player. You would be quite set.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"