• msm
    • Aug 2008

Should I upgrade?

Would you upgrade to this set-up?

Current Set-Up:

Rosenut 803D, HTM2D, 805S, REL B3 Sub.

New Set-Up:

Black 802D, HTM2D, 804S, REL B1 Sub.

Should I go for it or just save the money and buy monoblocks for my 803D's?
  • wgriel
    • May 2006

What do you currently use for amplification?

Comment

• msm
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by wgriel
      What do you currently use for amplification?
      Right now I am using the Classe CA-5200

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by msm

Current Set-Up:

Rosenut 803D, HTM2D, 805S, REL B3 Sub.

New Set-Up:

Black 802D, HTM2D, 804S, REL B1 Sub.

With your CA-5200, you have a very balanced system. IMO, if you were to upgrade to the 802Ds, then move the 803Ds to the rear. If you have a trade-up deal moving from the 803Ds to the 802Ds, then do some listening to hear if it is worth the upgrade to you.

If you're swapping the 803Ds, then I would just keep the 805S. I don't understand what the 804s would do for you over what you have now for surrounds?

I have the CAM-350s powering my 803Ds, and feel they made a noticeable difference to me, in my particular setup and room. The 802Ds could benefit from added power as well, but they would not be underpowered IMO with your CA-5200.

I have been considering adding 802Ds to my system and moving the 803Ds to the rear. I like the idea of having the matching diamond tweeters all-around. But, I will only do this if I can find a super deal preferably from a dealer, and I can be patient in waiting. I personally did not find that much of a difference between the two speakers that would make me eager to upgrade.

The other idea is to have matching 803Ds for the fronts and surrounds, and with the HTM2D center, it would be an extremely well balanced system. :T

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Originally posted by msm

Current Set-Up: Rosenut 803D, HTM2D, 805S, REL B3 Sub.

New Set-Up: Black 802D, HTM2D, 804S, REL B1 Sub.

802D all around or 802D in front and 803D in back or all 803D:T
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• ShadowZA
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

I agree with what both beden1 and wettou have said. In addition, I would advise you to go and listen to a pair of broken-in 802D's (preferably, if possible, in your home as part of your setup). By doing this you'll be in the best position to decide that which is right for YOU.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

• style
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2006

@msm,

I have the 803D, htm2D and 805s too (subB&W)
              but a upgrade from the rear 805s to 804s is not a logical idea.(FOR MY SELF)

I agree with Beden 100%. :T
              keep the 805S: is a very good speaker! Save the money for a new electronics/monoblocks....
              A great setup with 802D front - htm2D and the 803D as rear is a really big jump :T
              Like Beden wrote keep the 805S --> difference between 805 and 804 is not very audible - the diffenrence in money from sell the 805 and buy a new 804 is much more.....
              Well, you have the CA5200 (like me): my upgrade is the new ssp800.
              next I will go make a rear with B&W Diamond = very balanced system.

Omar
              Last edited by style; 03 November 2008, 15:45 Monday.

Comment

• msm
                • Aug 2008

My only problem is I currently have rosenut 805's and 803d's and the 802D are black so their is really no way for me to keep my 805S or 803D if I switched colors in the front.

I know I can always order them in black but to get a good discount at my dealer it will need to be in stock...which they only have 804S in black right now.

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

msm,

I dont no how much you can have for your 805.....$ 1500??

and you much is a pair of 804 new? (in Switzerland chf. 6700.- = $ 5780.- ca.!!)

if the color black and rosenut in your movie vision in a dark room are for you
                  equivalend as $.5780-1500= $.4280.- ca. Ok, buy the 804 in rosenut....

hey in 6 month your next idea is I muss upgrade my front (i have pictures and you have ssp800.-ca5200-cdp300)--> for the cdp300 i think that the cdT300 was and IS enough.. ops: .)) = buy a 802D sell your 804s 6 month old...and pay another xx K$$. for the 802D (for the 804 you go recieve not more from the 55% from new price..)
                  Sorry but I dont understand...

1. buy a good rack for the Classe --> in the pictures you need more air / space from every electronics piece.
                  2. save your money for a pair monoblock or new speaker 802D...IS YOUR system and YOUR MONEY...

I have like you the SSP800, CA5200, 803D, htm2D in rosenut, 805S with B&W Stand in Black (in the past the 805s for the rear was a pair of 703: PERSONALY the 805S is much better. )

I go buy a rack finite elmente "Signatore Pagode" 2 pieces: Pioneer Kuro: I have at wall, over the Pagode I go place the Classe, BD player, HD player and normal player (Classè CDT300)

speaker or monoblock (Hegel,Electrocompaniet,classe CAM,simaudio,Accustic Arts,???) not easy but if your room can recieve the 802D (big room)
                  you go make a great system very good balanced (all speakers with Diamond tweeter..) and if you have money buy a pair of power ampli to make sing the 802D with 400watt or so like that......(event another Classe CA3200 for L/C/R) bi-amp. with the CA5200 = front 400watt & rear 200watt.)

You have received many views now is your last word !!!

Omar
                  Last edited by style; 03 November 2008, 15:48 Monday.

Comment

• beden1
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by msm
                    My only problem is I currently have rosenut 805's and 803d's and the 802D are black so their is really no way for me to keep my 805S or 803D if I switched colors in the front.

I know I can always order them in black but to get a good discount at my dealer it will need to be in stock...which they only have 804S in black right now.
                    What color is your HTM2D? If it is the same color as your 803Ds or 805s, I think it's OK that the center and surrounds match, and the fronts are a different color.

My 703 surrounds are in the light cherry, and the rest of my speakers are black. My rack kind of looks like rosenut (it's antique dark cherry). I got the 703s before I decided to build out my system.

There is nothing wrong with mixing wood colors within a room, and possibly you could get a coffee table or another piece of furniture (like your TV/equipment cabinets) in the room to tie the different color speakers together. Actually, I think it looks more interesting in my own setup, and the different wood tones warm the look of our large room.

My next door neighbor is an interior decorator, and she always comments on how much she likes the blending of the different wood tones within our room. We have a variety of wood tones ranging from light maple, to light cherry, to dark cherry, antique cherry, English Yew, antique distressed maple, and black.

Comment

• htsteve
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Yes

msm,

My setup is very similar to your proposed upgrade (802D's, HTM2D and N804's). While I very much liked the 803D's when I auditioned, I loved the 802D's even more. They are truly special, with a great midrange, super highs and excelelnt bass.

I also love my N804's as rears. I had 705's as rears before. Very nice and certainly not the same as 805S's, but I love the N804's complete package as rears. I have a Blu Ray player and this allows my system to play uncompressed audio, which is truly awesome. Having towers as rears really helps the complete package.

Overall, my system is outstanding. You have a very nice amp (I have McIntosh). You do this upgrade and your speakers are pretty much set. Then later, you can work on other items, like a dedicated two channel amp or new pre-amp.

I like your choice in subs. I have a DD18 from Velodyne. With it's room calibrating package, it ties into my room and setup beautifully, and sounds fabulous. The DD12 is about the same price as the Rel B1. If you can audition a DD12, it might be interesting.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• beden1
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2006

I have ordered the new SSP-800, and I want to play with the new processor before adding the 802Ds to my system. I agree that the 802Ds are very good, but so are the 803Ds.

The reason I wanted to look at larger speakers for the L/R fronts, was primarily for stereo listening, and fuller bass without using my subs. In my previous setup, I could not use the subs with the CP-500 pre-amp.

The only speaker I found in the B&W lineup to use as standalone for stereo has been the 800Ds, and that produce the full bass and soundstage that I'm looking for. The 802Ds offer a bit more of a soundstage over the 803Ds, but not enough improvement in the bass output to warrant making the change (again, for me at least).

I also did not find any measureable improvement in the mid ranges between the marlan head and the 803Ds mid. The marlan head offers a smoother/classier response, but again IMO, not enough where it is a must have difference. If there is a big difference in the mids, the demo room being on the flat/dead side may not have brought the best out of them?

It's really tough to determine what a speaker is capable of, when your only option in listening to them is not in your own home, and with your own system and room dynamics that you're used to.

When I get my SSP-800, I want to play around with using the subs in stereo with the 803Ds. My Velodynes are working very well in the system now, and I'm hoping they will marry well with the 803Ds in stereo so that I don't have to consider an upgrade. But, I'm sure it will take some time and trial and error to get the combo working right. I also know that many people feel that using subs for stereo listening is taboo!

If it does not work out, I've determined the 800Ds are too big for my setup and room, so I will be happy to upgrade to the 802Ds. For HT however, either four 803Ds, or two 802Ds and two 803Ds would be a killer system IMO, along with the HTM2D. :T

Comment

• msm
                          • Aug 2008

The SSP-800 is a great processor, I have been enjoying mine for about 2 weeks now and I have noticed a huge improvement over my old Integra.

The HT2MD is black since it matched the tv and stand it was on. I think I will give the 802Ds a listen and see if I can spot a difference, my main use is for movies and a little 2-channel music.

In terms of the 805's vs the 804's is the dollar difference between the two or are really the 805s fine for the rears?

Comment

• beden1
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by msm
                            The SSP-800 is a great processor, I have been enjoying mine for about 2 weeks now and I have noticed a huge improvement over my old Integra.

The HT2MD is black since it matched the tv and stand it was on. I think I will give the 802Ds a listen and see if I can spot a difference, my main use is for movies and a little 2-channel music.

In terms of the 805's vs the 804's is the dollar difference between the two or are really the 805s fine for the rears?
                            I think most said the 805S should be at least as good as the 804 for surrounds.

Comment

• sikoniko
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by msm
                              It is truely amazing.

I originally started off with all Red Cherry. Unfortunately, B&W cancelled the color. When I ordered my SCMs's, I decided to order black. I did this because I care about my 802N's standing out, but I don't really care about the others. It kinda adds extra emphasis to me. I have also acquired a black ASW855 recently. Again, I can't match the red cherry I have. The dealer had it as a floor model and I got an excellent deal on it. Eventually, I may trade my 802N's up for something that ends in a D and has a marlan head. For those speakers, I will probably get a natural wood color (the one closest to red cherry?), but I think I will go black for all of my other speakers from this point forward.

The benefit for the 804s is the FST mid. For surround, I don't feel it is necessary. Others may. I have 2 pairs of SCMs's and I couldn't be happier. I used to be on the kick of thinking rear speakers had to match my fronts and be full floor-standers. I feel that in the 800 series, it is no longer necessary. just my experience. YMMV. The other thing is that my room is more theater-esque and floor standers would not work for me. I was offered a pair of 802Ns recently for $1500 and I turned it down because I would have nowhere to put them. You should consider the goals of your room as part of the equation when picking speakers. The 805s on stands have a similar footprint to the 804s, so it might be worth it to you.
                              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• beden1
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                It is truely amazing.

The benefit for the 804s is the FST mid. For surround, I don't feel it is necessary. Others may. I have 2 pairs of SCMs's and I couldn't be happier. I used to be on the kick of thinking rear speakers had to match my fronts and be full floor-standers. I feel that in the 800 series, it is no longer necessary. just my experience. YMMV. The other thing is that my room is more theater-esque and floor standers would not work for me. I was offered a pair of 802Ns recently for $1500 and I turned it down because I would have nowhere to put them. You should consider the goals of your room as part of the equation when picking speakers. The 805s on stands have a similar footprint to the 804s, so it might be worth it to you.
                                I agree with this statement, that the surrounds don't have to be floor standers. That's why the 805S should do a very good job.

With the diamond tweeters however, I primarily wish I had matching tweeters all-around when listening to multi-channel SACD and with music DVDs. This is where I hear (or sense) the mis-match the most. That's why I've stated before that I wish B&W made like an 805D.

But, if the mid range is also an issue like Sikoniko has mentioned, then that may be another check mark on the plus column for using the 803Ds for the surrounds?

Sikoniko, do you think the mis-match that I hear or sense now with my 703s as surrounds in listening to multi-channel music, has more to do with the difference in the tweeters, or the mid range? I was thinking the mid range drivers were similar between the 703s and the 803Ds, but I'm not really sure?

Not having matching tweeters for HT is not a problem that I've been able to hear or sense.

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                                  That's why I've stated before that I wish B&W made like an 805D.
                                  Let's start a poll I also would buy 805D for my bedroom:T
                                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• msm
                                    • Aug 2008

Well I made the upgrade to the 802D, 804S and REL B1. I got an offer I couldn't turn down, everything will be here on Monday so I can't wait to test it out. I also picked up a pair of CA-M400 for the fronts.

Comment

• htsteve
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by msm
                                      Well I made the upgrade to the 802D, 804S and REL B1. I got an offer I couldn't turn down, everything will be here on Monday so I can't wait to test it out. I also picked up a pair of CA-M400 for the fronts.

msm,

Excellent. That is one impressive system. Nice choice in amps for the 802D's. Should be very smooth and detailed.

I assumed you still have your HTM2D. You could try bi-amping your center channel with the 5200. Could be fun to see if there is any difference.

Congratulations.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by msm
                                        Congratulations! Great amps for your 802D's too.
                                        :T :T :T

Comment

• Gump
                                          • Sep 2005

Looks like you answered your initial question by doing both...

That's a great system and you're going to be very happy!

Have fun and congratulations!

Comment

• btf1980
                                            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by msm
                                            Jesus Christ dude, that's what I call an upgrade! :T
                                            A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• beden1
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by btf1980
                                              Jesus Christ dude, that's what I call an upgrade! :T
                                              I guess that's what happens when we try to save someone money!

Great upgrades. I'm sure they will sound excellent, along with your SSP-800!

Comment

• wettou
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • May 2006

Originally posted by msm
                                                Very nice upgrade I love these kinds of deals and hopefully with the market conditions more dealer are willing to deal? :T

Comment

• msm
                                                  • Aug 2008

Everything is being installed today so I will take some pictures once it is up and running.

I did keep the HTM2D, I will try bi-amping it with the 5200 and see what I think.

Comment

• William
                                                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by msm
                                                    Well I made the upgrade to the 802D, 804S and REL B1...
                                                    I have 804's for my rears and had I been you I would have keep the 803D's for the rears. They have several advantages over the 804's like better timbre matching and higher mounted FST's/tweeter's to "reach" over a recliner's back. Is it too late?

Comment

• msm
                                                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by William
                                                      I have 804's for my rears and had I been you I would have keep the 803D's for the rears. They have several advantages over the 804's like better timbre matching and higher mounted FST's/tweeter's to "reach" over a recliner's back. Is it too late?
                                                      The reason why I did not keep the 803D's is because my whole system is black now over rosenut. If I happen to come across a pair of 803D's in black I might go for them.

Comment

• htsteve
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by msm
                                                        The reason why I did not keep the 803D's is because my whole system is black now over rosenut. If I happen to come across a pair of 803D's in black I might go for them.

msm,

These are not 803D's, but they are N803's in black.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"