X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nick.h
    • Jan 2006

Its all mine! 803D & HTM2D

Hi Guys,

Well after many months of asking stupid questions, like which is the best speaker, what will this sound like etc etc.

I have finally steped upto the plate and purchased the 803D and HTM2D, now all I have to do is tell my wife.

I got them in the rosenut colour.

I decided not to upgrade my processor and amplifier for the time being, but instead enjoy the speakers on the current a/v receiver and then when it comes to testing for a new one I will have a better idea of what the sound differences are.

So I'm upgrading from:

AARON ATS3 RRP$899
    AARON CC240 RRP$699

to

B&W 803D RRP$15,000
    B&W HTM2D RRP$7,000

Still using my HK AVR5550 (7x75) and DVD30 player.

Next Im going to look at the cables, currently using 12 gauge unbranded cable.

I'll let you know how I go, got to drive upto Sydney tomorrow morning and pick them up.

3 1/2 hour drive, but its all worth it!
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Way to go Nick! :T Now you'll get to finally enjoy the fruits of your labor. Nothing is more gratifying than finding the right balance for your audio tastes and needs. Enjoy the music!
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
      • Dec 2005

Cogratulations!! Excellent choices, you should be a pround owner!!

Comment

• Kobus
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by nick.h
        Hi Guys,

Next Im going to look at the cables, currently using 12 gauge unbranded cable.

I'll let you know how I go, got to drive upto Sydney tomorrow morning and pick them up.
        Congrats,

Think carefully about the cable, lots of BS out there.

What are you driving in, mini truck, big boxes those.

Kobus

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Well done on an excellent choice, nick. :T

Wishing you many hours of pure listening enjoyment.

Comment

• ChrisssB
            • Feb 2006

Congrats nick! excellent choice

Comment

• Joey_V
              • Jul 2005

Superb!!!
              Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
              Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
              System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• nick.h
                • Jan 2006

Thanks all.

Comment

• Aldo
                  • Sep 2005

Congratulations! Great speakers!

Comment

• William
                    • Aug 2006

Hi Guys,
                    ....I'll let you know how I go, got to drive upto Sydney tomorrow morning and pick them up.

3 1/2 hour drive, but its all worth it!
                    What are your rears? Here is what you will see. :W

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                      • Nov 2006

Congratulations Nick. Enjoy your new b&w's, also before you tell the wife, make sure you acompany it with a nice purchase for her too, Tiffany's sounds good!, also book some reservations to the nearest hotel just in case it doesnt go all that well lol.

Comment

• scanido
                        • Apr 2006

William that is a sick setup!!!

What size is that screen???

Comment

• William
                          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by scanido
                          William that is a sick setup!!!

What size is that screen???
                          Thanks, It is almost 10' wide or 133" diagonal. Here is a shot to the rear.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Amazing system Nick, congratulations. 804 at the rear too, obviously great sound, almost seems a waste (you can probably guess what I run at the front).

If you like your music you are in for a treat when you start upgrading your electronics and cables. Thats all part of the fun of building a system bit by bit.

Guess we all know where to find you after dark :-)
                            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• nick.h
                              • Jan 2006

Well after almost 6 hours of driving the speakers are at home.

Just hooked them up and ran some testing with Norah Jones and Jamiroquai.

U2 made an entrance aswell.

Sounds great.

No rears at the moment, but Im only going for some small bookshelfs from the 700 series.

I used to have floorstanding rears, found they where wasted.

Comment

• William
                                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                Amazing system Nick, congratulations. 804 at the rear too, obviously great sound, almost seems a waste (you can probably guess what I run at the front)...
                                Where did you get the idea he had 804's in the rear?

..No rears at the moment, but Im only going for some small bookshelfs from the 700 series.

I used to have floorstanding rears, found they where wasted.
                                Actually you should use 803D's in the rear for a perfect timbre match (I used to have 4 804's (HTM1 Nautilus center) before I upgraded the fronts). Also larger rears are more important when listening to multi-channel music than surround sound movies.

Comment

• DelRay
                                  • Jun 2004

Great choice of speakers Nick. :T As far as purchasing new gear, I'll soon be doing the same. Buying the speakers then building a better system around them.

Comment

• chinets
                                    • Jun 2005

Congrats M8 !!
                                    It ain't the "Aldo Show Room", but that is what I had before I got my 802D !!
                                    I know you will love them, just like I did.
                                    God Bless, and May you enjoy them Immensly.
                                    Excellent choice..For sure!!!
                                    Cheers!!

Comment

• scanido
                                      • Apr 2006

Congrats on your new speakers.
                                      Please let us know how they sound on your HK receiver.

Comment

• nick.h
                                        • Jan 2006

Hi All,

I watched Bourne Identity last night, fantastic.

I was surprised how good they sound on the HK. It drives them very well, highs are clear and bass is nice and extended.

In 2 channel listening to Norah Jones and some Jazz very smooth and transparent.

All in all I'm very happy.

At the moment I cannot justify upgrading to a new pre/pro system, until I get used to the sound the 800 series produces, I will not be able to correctly scope out a new pre/pro system.

When I was demo'd the 803d and htm2d, it was on a Class CAV-500 and Class SP25

Excellent sound, however a number of people have said the older classe gear is not that good. To me, it sounded fantastic.

Comment

• mrfreeze
                                          • Jan 2007

Hi Nick,
                                          how do you find the sound with your A/V Receiver compared to the Classe you had the demo with?

Seriously considering the same set of speakers and currently have a Denon 4306 that might get upgraded to the 4308 or above later this year when released.(Well not might, will be upgraded )

As for cabling, QED make a good range of speaker cable.
                                          The silver anniversary is around $25 per metre.

I would consider Chord though, the Odyssey is $55-$65 per metre and is an excellent cable.
                                          This is what I will use myself when I finally make a choice on the 800 series I get.
                                          AVR: Denon 4306, DVD: Denon 3930, Speakers: PSB Image 1?, Display: Fujitsu 50XHA40US, STB: Topfield 5000PVR, Cables: QED, Remote: Philips TSU9600

Comment

• nick.h
                                            • Jan 2006

At be honest I'm very happy with the sound from the HK AVR.

I have played the same tracks at about the same volume.

Excellent results.

I think I will get a in home demo of some pre/pros and do some further testing.

4306 should sound good, whats the watts?

Comment

• mrfreeze
                                              • Jan 2007

I have played the same tracks at about the same volume.

Excellent results.

4306 should sound good, whats the watts?
                                              130 watts/channel for the 4306 into 8 ohms.
                                              Very hard to decide, especially when in the industry and a wide range of products are available to you.
                                              AVR: Denon 4306, DVD: Denon 3930, Speakers: PSB Image 1?, Display: Fujitsu 50XHA40US, STB: Topfield 5000PVR, Cables: QED, Remote: Philips TSU9600

Comment

• RNKC
                                                • Jun 2005

Noooo! Don't do it! If you're happy, just let it be! Otherwise you'll get sucked into the money pit of always wanting better! Trust me - these audio manufacturers are Evil - just when you think you've got the system you've always wanted, they come out with something better to suck you back in to the store to buy!

:B :B :B

Comment

• boxer82003
                                                  • Apr 2006

i had an HK AVR-525 and loved it really loved it BUT my damn friends and dealer sold me on a denon 3805 the denon was great but i regretted getting rid of the HK

i just got the RMB-1075/RSP-1068 combo and absoulty LOVE it better then both when it comes to music neither compare to the rotel. i didnt mention i have crappy speakers too 602.5s3 well not crappy but not even in the same league as yours.

oh i also agree on the cables someone else posted, unless your running a great distance from what i read.

i see a 1077/1098 in your future maybe :B just kidding
                                                  Main Linn Ninka
                                                  Center Linn AV5120
                                                  Rear Linn Ninka
                                                  Sub B&W ASW 650

Processor Rotel RSP-1570
                                                  Amp Rotel RMB-1075

Comment

• Azeke
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2003

Congratulations and enjoy it for the time being, and be aware of "Upgraditis", it is a formidable HT infirmity.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• RobP
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Nov 2004

When I was demo'd the 803d and htm2d, it was on a Class CAV-500 and Class SP25

Excellent sound, however a number of people have said the older classe gear is not that good. To me, it sounded fantastic.

Congrats on the speakers Nick! :T

Regarding the above statement, dont believe the hype, the quality is top notch, I dont need to tell you how good it sounds :T
                                                      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"