X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdika17
    • Oct 2008

cdika17 HT build

Going to make this short n sweet, I don't have any electronics or speakers yet. I don't have the budget to go out and grab B&W 802's, HTM1D and say 805S rears/sides. I also don’t have the budget to get classe gear. So I have decided on getting the new rotel 15-series gear,
    pre-amp/processor RSP-1570,
    Amp, 5 X 250 RMB-1575,
    Amp, 2 x 250 RMB-1572

So question is, should I go with the top in the 600 series, for instance,
    B&W 683 mains
    B&W HTM61 centers
    B&W 685 sides/rear
    And sub (looking at a velodyne SPL1500R)

Or

B&W 805S x 4 for fronts and rears
    And sub (SPL1500R) for now
    I know this route costs more, but in the end may be more versatile.
    I would drop the other amp as i would only need the 5 channel, that would save a bit.
    Also will this route be a good enough ht system, to get me by for a couple years?

then save up for a while to eventually get 802's for the fronts, get a center speaker, say HTM1D then put the 805S as rears and sides?

I'm thinking instead of getting one whole series then having to sell them to get a higher series that I would go with 805's for front and rear, forget the center channel for now and save up some money.

I basically want to start off with something decent that I can easily upgrade later, without having to sell allot of stuff, just use existing pieces for different areas. Keep in mind this room will be 80%ht/20%music. Room is 11.5wx21.25Lx8.6h.

Comments, suggestions welcome!
    Last edited by cdika17; 25 October 2008, 19:43 Saturday.
    Chase

---------------------------------------------------
    Rotel RSP-1570, Rotel RMB-1575, B&W N805's, B&W Nautilus HTM2, APC H15, Mitsubishi HC7000 PJ, 110" Carada Brilliant White, SVS PCUltra 13, SVS AS-EQ1 Subwoofer EQ, Wadia 170i transport. Stay tuned, HTPC build coming!
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

I like your thinking about future upgrades with option two. I wish I was as smart to plan an upgrade path when I started out.

But, why do you need the second amp now? You will just need the 5 X 250 RMB-1575 to start off with. Then you might be able to get a better sub that you'll want to keep down the road now with the savings.

Comment

• cdika17
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by beden1
      I like your thinking about future upgrades with option two. I wish I was as smart to plan an upgrade path when I started out.

But, why do you need the second amp now? You will just need the 5 X 250 RMB-1575 to start off with.
      If i were to go with option 2 then yes, i would get one amp to help save money. No sense in second amp sitting in box.
      Chase

Rotel RSP-1570, Rotel RMB-1575, B&W N805's, B&W Nautilus HTM2, APC H15, Mitsubishi HC7000 PJ, 110" Carada Brilliant White, SVS PCUltra 13, SVS AS-EQ1 Subwoofer EQ, Wadia 170i transport. Stay tuned, HTPC build coming!

Comment

• cdika17
        • Oct 2008

any other comments?
        Chase

Comment

• Briz vegas
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Yeah. Option 2 definitely, even if you never upgrade. Thats my 2 cents!
          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Option 2 with a twist

cdika17,

I vote for option two, mainly because the 805S's are quite good.
            I definitely like the idea of using gear later. I have a twist for option 2. My recommendation would be this:

B&W 805S x 3 for front three (great integration here)
            B&W 705 for Rears
            And sub (SPL1500R) for now

My thinking is this. Since you are 80% HT, getting an HT set up is very appealing. Centers are very important in the HT world. Later, you could move 2 of the 805's to the rears. You would only have to deal with one 805 (use it as trade in when you get the big speakers). Another option would be to get the 4th 805 by trading in/selling the 705's. Then you would arrive at the same 4 805's as rears plan. Granted, it does involve some selling/trading, but those kind of things can work out nicely.

Hope this helps.
            Last edited by htsteve; 27 October 2008, 12:49 Monday.

Comment

• cdika17
              • Oct 2008

Yah, i think this is the direction i need to go in.
              Chase

Comment

• Linki
                • Aug 2007

With 80%ht/20%music it might be worth considering the CT7.3 's with the CT-subs. They sound absolutely amazing for HT and aren't so bad for music either.

Just a suggestion, good luck with making your decision!

Comment

• cdika17
                  • Oct 2008

Here is what my setup will end up looking like: This fits my budget.

Pre Amp, 7.1 : Rotel RSP-1570

Amp, 5 X 250 : Rotel RMB-1575

DVD/Blu Ray Player : Sony PS3

Gaming : Xbox360

Power Conditioner : APC H15

Projector : Mitsubishi HC7000

ISF Calibration for Projector

Screen, 110" : Carada Matte White

Projector Mount : Chief Mounts

Fronts - Left, right: B&W N805

Center : B&W NHTM2

Stands : B&W 600series

Subwoofer : SVS PC13

Speaker Wire - Fronts: Canare 4S11

Speaker Wire - Rear, for 7.1: Canare 4S11

Interconnects - PreAmp to Amps, 2M: BJC LC-1 Five-Channel Audio Cables

Interconnects - Subwoofer, 15 ft : Canare LV77S Subwoofer Cable

HDMI - Projector, 40 ft : Premium 1.3B1 HDMI Cable

HDMI - Blu Ray to Pre-Amp, 1M : Energy Connoisseur Series

Comments and suggestions welcome.
                  Last edited by cdika17; 29 April 2009, 11:52 Wednesday.
                  Chase

Comment

• marky mark
                    • Feb 2008

i would recommend sony playstion 3 for your blue-ray, it has alot of neat features that stand out, you can play games, stream audio and video from your computer, can be updated for the lastest firmware, up-convert movies, surf the net. etc. you should also check out velnodyne subwoofer, the spl series has a auto calibration and also has remote to adjust the volumne

Comment

• cdika17
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by marky mark
                      i would recommend sony playstion 3 for your blue-ray, it has alot of neat features that stand out, you can play games, stream audio and video from your computer, can be updated for the lastest firmware, up-convert movies, surf the net. etc. you should also check out velnodyne subwoofer, the spl series has a auto calibration and also has remote to adjust the volumne

I have definetly thought about these and is why i am looking for suggestions, thanks!
                      Chase

Comment

• htsteve
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by cdika17
                        Here is what my setup will end up looking like: This fits my budget.

Pre Amp, 7.1 : Rotel RSP-1570

Amp, 5 X 250 : Rotel RMB-1575

DVD/Blu Ray Player : Panasonic DMP-BD55K

Power Conditioner : Rotel RLC-1040

Projector : Mitsubishi HC7000

ISF Calibration for Projector

Screen, 119" : Da-Lite Cinema Vision

Projector Mount : Chief Mounts

Fronts - Left, center, right: B&W 805S

Stands : B&W 600series

Subwoofer : B&W ASW850

Speaker Wire - Fronts: Transparent

Speaker Wire - Rear, for 7.1: Transparent

Interconnects - PreAmp to Amps, 1M: Transparent

Interconnects - Subwoofer, 15 ft : Transparent

HDMI - Projector, 40 ft : Transparent

HDMI - Blu Ray to Pre-Amp, 1M : Transparent

Comments and suggestions welcome.

A very nice setup. This should give you an excellent HT room.

With respect to the PS3, does is stream out the HD audio formats? These formats are one of the key, fun features of Blu Ray.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2007

With the RSP-1570 you don't need to get the DMP-BD55. You only need a player that will bitstream and the DMP-BD35 will do that and save you money in the process. The PS3 will work as well, but there are some little quirks that some people don't like so it may not be what you want.

For example:
                          You need an adapter for it to use an infrared remote and then to turn it off you have to issue the power command twice.

It is more expensive than the DMP-BD35.

Because of it's shape, it doesn't fit into some racks that well. That may not be an issue, but it is for some.

On the plus side, it can act as a music server and it's a game machine. If your not into games and won't be using the system to listen to music, those won't matter.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

Eric

Comment

• cdika17
                            • Oct 2008

Status

PS3 picked up about 2 months ago and bought these puppies today

AV Rack, used to hold all my electronics and HTM2 will go on top, with the 805's on either side.

Tried the streaming thru PS3, was alright, kinda slow flippn thru songs with the program i had.

Next few weeks, i hope to get my rotel pre/pro, amp, mits hc7000 pj, da-lite 106" screen and sub( most likely velodyne or maybe f113)

Also a shot of my room before i paint and do cable managment(rippn baseboards and installing a crown), as well as a sketchup of future.
                            Attached Files
                            Chase

Comment

• cdika17
                              • Oct 2008

sketchup pic
                              Chase

Comment

• Hammie
                                • Oct 2005

PS3 picked up about 2 months ago and bought these puppies today

AV Rack, used to hold all my electronics and HTM2 will go on top, with the 805's on either side.

Tried the streaming thru PS3, was alright, kinda slow flippn thru songs with the program i had.

Next few weeks, i hope to get my rotel pre/pro, amp, mits hc7000 pj, da-lite 106" screen and sub( most likely velodyne or maybe f113)

Also a shot of my room before i paint and do cable managment(rippn baseboards and installing a crown), as well as a sketchup of future.
                                Nice gear. Congrats on the new purchases.

I use the Panasonic BD-35 as my BD player and my PS3 as a music server/gaming system. I prefer the streaming of the HD codecs to my Denon receiver. I DID notice a difference between letting the PS3 do the decoding and the Denon doing it. Additionally, I use an IR2BT adapter and have full IR capabilities with my Harmony One remote.

As far as media server programs, I use TVersity and have never had a problem with streaming even on my old POS desktop that finally crapped out on me last week. I just picked up a cheap quad-core desktop running Windows Vista Premium 64-bit from Best Buy and I have also have full 1Gbps network at my house so that may help with any latency. Additionally, since I have all my CD's burned to Apple Lossless (ALAC), there is an add-on program that lets you stream these through TVersity to the PS3 without and issues. I just found this out and am happy that I did not have to have a duplicate MP3 version. I just got rid of about 35-40 GB of space by deleting these duplicate files. I guess you can PM me if you have any specific questions about my setup. I don't want to offend anyone by talking non-B&W stuff.

Back to topic... Looking forward to seeing your additional purchases.
                                Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                                Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                                Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                                Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                                B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                                Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                                My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                                Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• htsteve
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

Excellent buys. Room is looking good. You are on your way. Keep us posted.

Comment

• cdika17
                                    • Oct 2008

Bought HDMI 45ft, Component 45ft and Carada 110" Brilliant white fixed screen today!

Few weeks will be the rotel 1570-1575 and then the Mits hc7000, yah kinda excited.
                                    Chase

Comment

• htsteve
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

Bought HDMI 45ft, Component 45ft and Carada 110" Brilliant white fixed screen today!

Few weeks will be the rotel 1570-1575 and then the Mits hc7000, yah kinda excited.

Excellent!

Comment

• cdika17
                                        • Oct 2008

Just ordered the 1575/1570 and hc7000 on saturday, also picked up some 600 series stands for my 805's and a wadia 170I Ipod tansport. Everything should be here middle of May!
                                        Chase

Comment

• htsteve
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

Cool. It's coming together.

Are you going to get an ISF calibration done on the projector? I think that was in your plan.

Which sub did you end up getting? Or are planning to get?

Comment

• cdika17
                                            • Oct 2008

Yah once everything is in, guys is gonna drive down with all my gear and we are gonna set it up then do the isf on projector as well as do a room treatment, setn everything up. Sub will be on hold for a bit, just gonna use the one i have for now, unless a great deal arises. But still looking at dd-15 or f113.
                                            Chase

Comment

• MikeFL52
                                              • Oct 2007

Sub will be on hold for a bit, just gonna use the one i have for now, unless a great deal arises. But still looking at dd-15 or f113.
                                              If you have room you might want to look at the SVS PB13 Ultra. It's quite a bit cheaper than the DD-15 and a lot cheaper than F113. Downside it's very heavy and quite large, and doesn't have EQ, but you could buy the Velo SMS-1, have the EQ and still be a lot less than the DD-15.

Comment

• cdika17
                                                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by MikeFL52
                                                If you have room you might want to look at the SVS PB13 Ultra. It's quite a bit cheaper than the DD-15 and a lot cheaper than F113. Downside it's very heavy and quite large, and doesn't have EQ, but you could buy the Velo SMS-1, have the EQ and still be a lot less than the DD-15.
                                                The SVS is very large and I would have to get it shipped from somewhere which would be a PITA and expensive, so don't think it's an option.
                                                Chase

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                                  • May 2008

SVS are sold in Canada...I have 2...superb value and amazing performance.
                                                  Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• cdika17
                                                    • Oct 2008

I know there sold here, just not anywhere near me, so shipping will still be pricey
                                                    Chase

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                                      • May 2008

$125 ($100 for the cylinder model) to your door doesn't seem bad to me...
                                                      Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• MikeFL52
                                                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
                                                        It cost me $65 to get my 803Ds from the dealer (in my town) to my house so I agree I did not consider the SVS shipping to be expensive, especially compared to the "value" of the sub compared to other sub manufacturrers. It is also very quick from placement of order to arrival at your door.

They are beasts (size & weight) though, espcially with the pallets and packing. so if you have stairs to negotiate it would be tough to do it alone.

I had a piano black HGS15 which had a habit of chipping and the quality of finish on my two piano black Ultra13s is far superior to mu old HGS15.

Comment

• cdika17
                                                          • Oct 2008

from sonicboomaudio.com hey? just found the website, yah not bad at all, may have concluded my decision.

Now to go with the PC13 or PB13, hmm
                                                          Chase

Comment

• cdika17
                                                            • Oct 2008

Another question, how important is it to have your screen wall a dark color, can it be a light color? Surrounding walls will be a clay silver brown color but screen wall might be a lighter blue tealish color.
                                                            Chase

Comment

• quan325i
                                                              • Apr 2005

Went through the same process and what I did was:

1. Get a 1 pairs of 805Nautilus, 1 HTM2 Nautilus and 1 Velodyne DD12 sub. I lived without the rears for awhile and it didn't borther me that much.
                                                              2. Upgrade to a pair of 801N and move the 805 to the rears.
                                                              3. Sold my HTM2 to upgrade to a HTM1 Nautilus.
                                                              4. Sold my 805nautilus to upgrade to a pair of SCM Nautilus
                                                              5. If and when I upgrade to 7.1, I would add another pair of SCM Nautilus.

After multiple audition between the diamond and nautilus lines, I chose to go with the Nautilus series to get the most bang for my bucks and if I have to do all over, I would definitely do the same thing. My usage is 50/50 betwen HT and Music.

QN

Comment

• htsteve
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Sep 2004

Another question, how important is it to have your screen wall a dark color, can it be a light color? Surrounding walls will be a clay silver brown color but screen wall might be a lighter blue tealish color.

When I did my HT room last year, I looked into this. My research and my dealer both indicated that the screen wall was the most important wall, since you are looking at it. It needs to be reasonably dark, not a light color. I went with a dark grey for my screen wall. It works great. The other thing I learned was to stay away from the primary three colors: red, green, blue or close variations, on any wall, particularly the screen wall and ceiling. I'm concerned about a blue teal kind of color on your screen wall. The clay silver brown color might be better on the screen wall (and ceiling for that matter).

Your screen company can probably help since you have your screen and projector picked out. You can optimzed the room color to work with the screen and projector.

The sketch you posted earlier is a pretty good solution. I.E. the screen wall is darker than the side walls.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• cdika17
                                                                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by htsteve
                                                                  When I did my HT room last year, I looked into this. My research and my dealer both indicated that the screen wall was the most important wall, since you are looking at it. It needs to be reasonably dark, not a light color. I went with a dark grey for my screen wall. It works great. The other thing I learned was to stay away from the primary three colors: red, green, blue or close variations, on any wall, particularly the screen wall and ceiling. I'm concerned about a blue teal kind of color on your screen wall. The clay silver brown color might be better on the screen wall (and ceiling for that matter).

Your screen company can probably help since you have your screen and projector picked out. You can optimzed the room color to work with the screen and projector.

The sketch you posted earlier is a pretty good solution. I.E. the screen wall is darker than the side walls.

Hope this helps.

really....hmmm, girlfriend is gonna be angry, haha she just spent a bunch of money on rugs, pillows and a ottaman with those colors. told her to wait lol
                                                                  Chase

Comment

• htsteve
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2004

really....hmmm, girlfriend is gonna be angry, haha she just spent a bunch of money on rugs, pillows and a ottaman with those colors. told her to wait lol

Well, the critical wall is the screen wall. You can ask your girlfriend if she could pick out a darker color for the screen wall that will match the rest of the room, rugs, pillows etc.

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2008

Originally posted by htsteve
                                                                      Well, the critical wall is the screen wall. You can ask your girlfriend if she could pick out a darker color for the screen wall that will match the rest of the room, rugs, pillows etc.
                                                                      Hehe, said like a married guy!! :lol:

Also, you could do the teal on an accent wall...
                                                                      Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• cdika17
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2008

how about the rear wall? Or a rear side? hmm Or maybe paint walls all one color and use the accents with them selves and try to match up with pictures.
                                                                        Chase

Comment

• cdika17
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Oct 2008

Any suggestions on a projector ceiling mount?
                                                                          Chase

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2008
                                                                            • 222

What brand? I use a chief for my JVC, it works well...
                                                                            Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• cdika17
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Oct 2008
                                                                              • 113

#39
                                                                              What brand? I use a chief for my JVC, it works well...
                                                                              Mits hc7000
                                                                              Chase

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2008
                                                                                • 222

#40
                                                                                Sorry, I thought you meant what mount attachemnt I used for my Projector. I am a huge fan of the JVC PJs, and the latest models are supposed to be even better.
                                                                                Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• cdika17
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2008
                                                                                  • 113

#41
                                                                                  Sorry, I thought you meant what mount attachemnt I used for my Projector. I am a huge fan of the JVC PJs, and the latest models are supposed to be even better.
                                                                                  Yah no i meant what brand yah...looking at rpa series with interface plate.
                                                                                  Chase

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2008
                                                                                    • 222

#42
                                                                                    It's kind of one of those pieces that once you get it and it works, you aren't going to think about it again!
                                                                                    Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• cdika17
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Oct 2008
                                                                                      • 113

#43
                                                                                      APC H15 came in on friday, now for the rotel and mits gear.

How important is it to have the roof a dark color? Could i leave it white?
                                                                                      Chase

Comment

• cdika17
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Oct 2008
                                                                                        • 113

#44
                                                                                        Well spur of the moment purchase, just ordered the SVS PC13 and AS-EQ1, got a good discount.
                                                                                        Chase

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2008
                                                                                          • 222

#45
                                                                                          Cool! You will love them I am sure!
                                                                                          Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"