X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hjfischer
    • Oct 2008

Subwoof or Not?

I have a pair of B & W 801 floor standing speakers for my fronts in a 5 speaker setup and a new AVR, but no subwoofer. For action and adventure movies would I gain much in the way of LFE by adding a subwoofer since the B&W's are full-range? Auditioning an appropriate sub in my area is a bit difficult and I thought some opinions in advance would be helpful.
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by hjfischer
    I have a pair of B & W 801 floor standing speakers for my fronts in a 5 speaker setup and a new AVR, but no subwoofer. For action and adventure movies would I gain much in the way of LFE by adding a subwoofer since the B&W's are full-range? Auditioning an appropriate sub in my area is a bit difficult and I thought some opinions in advance would be helpful.
    I would get a JL Audio Gotham if you have the cash. You will see what a real sub is. A down version would be two Fathom F113:T
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• krips
      • Sep 2007

Yes, you would gain a lot on the LFE. You're only getting response to about 30hz or so. A good sub should get you down into maybe the 10-15hz range.
      Sharp LC-42D64U
      TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Isaac
        • Jan 2006

Yes, a subwoofer would make a big difference. Just make sure its the same quality as your B&W's. REL, JL Audio and B&W are good choices.

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Isaac
          Yes, a subwoofer would make a big difference. Just make sure its the same quality as your B&W's. REL, JL Audio and B&W are good choices.
          Velodyne is as well.

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

The sub yes sure..or no???

Personaly with a good ampli and B&W801 like front and especially in music sector I dont like so much the sub.
            I do not know what music you listen (if techno and music that he wants the sub ... OK...)
            but with David Bowie (heroes/low /lodger /scary monsters) sub I missing...

I prefer to have a good rear speakers in place from the sub in my system...

I have the B&W750 but the JL Audio (in switzerland not avialable), the Velodyne are sure a good choice.
            if the sub is not so vital not disregard a pair of B & W PV1 or Velodyne SPL800 / MicroVee.

omar

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by hjfischer
              One question is the size of your room. Are your 801's already loading the room with bass?

Subs will add bass and if you want more bass they will do the trick. Your budget will play a key roll. There are subs that will add good bass for not that much money. A frend of mine bought a $300 Klipsch sub for movies and it seems to do the trick.

The JL Audio subs are outstanding but I am not going to suggest that you buy a $10,000+ Gotham or 2 F113's at about $8,000 without any more information.

Comment

• btf1980
                • Aug 2007

You're using an AVR with 801's?
                A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• hjfischer
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by btf1980
                  You're using an AVR with 801's?
                  I use the AVR for decoding and pre-outs primarily. The 801's are driven by B &K monoblocks and the surrounds by a Crown 150. The AVR handles the center.

Comment

• Isaac
                    • Jan 2006

If you were only using your system for music then maybe there would be a debate over yes or no subwoofer. For movies you need a subwoofer to get the best sound from movies. Theaters use subwoofers.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"