This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evilskillit
    • Oct 2008

You can probably use it as is. Put some gorilla glue or some other super epoxy around the outside edge of the hurricane or t-nut, then put it back into the hole as tight as you can and let it sit overnight. Once that epoxy cures they'll be stuck as good as possible.

Like so:

A guy here did a test a few years ago where he tried hurricane nuts and drilled various size holes, some holes the recommended size, some too big and some too small. Then he put gorilla glue on some and not on the others. The ones with gorilla glue held more weight even in the oversized holes than any of the ones without gorilla glue, even the ones which had been forced into the undersized holes.

With the amp out it should be easy to force the hurricane nuts in either with a clamp through the hole, or by drawing them through with a bolt. Either way you'll want to put a piece of wood or something on the vinyl side so you don't mess up that nice work.

Actually here is the hurricane nut evaluation thread if you want to read it. But I think this could save you from having to redo the baffle.

I thought there maybe some people interested in what I am doing here. I know most people use wood screws to mount drivers and such but; I guess I'm just stubborn :D 1 Background I am a custom machinery builder by trade. The mechanical designer in me really wants to use machine screws. My last project two of these nuts stripped

Alternately if you can get them in you could use threaded inserts instead:
    Shop Hardware Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our extensive selection of functional, decorative fittings to help you find the right finishing touches for any project.
    Last edited by theSven; 25 August 2023, 14:54 Friday. Reason: Update htguide url and image location

Comment

• thatguyyoulove
      • Aug 2010

Yeah I actually looked those threads up last night. I'm thinking that I am first going to redrill new holes (rotate the driver a bit) and try threaded inserts as they have a bit larger outer diameter.

Comment

• DeathMonk
        • Jun 2008

You could always fill in the holes and use self tapping screws instead.

Comment

• fbov
          • Jun 2008

+1

Threaded inserts in MDF in your application will likely burst the sidewall before they're seated. I use MDF screws, not machine screws, and a lot of this grief disappears. The worst that happens is the hole gets stripped, and a drop of epoxy in the hole is a simple fix. I use T-nuts and the like when necessary, or if I expect to insert and remove the screw a lot.

An annular spacer may not be a bad idea to center the driver, but only if you have sufficiently accurate circle jig. If you absolutely need to add new screw seats, consider making a bump-out for the driver, so the insert extends beyond the driver and becomes part of the baffle. There's a lot you can do with MDF and a little epoxy....

Have fun,
          Frank

Comment

• thatguyyoulove
            • Aug 2010

I ended up drilling new holes at a slight angle and using the washer and bolt trick to pull the hurricane nuts through rather than hammering. I also added a bit of gorilla glue to each. Just FINALLY got the driver bolted in. My holes were a bit off so one of the bolts wouldn't quite go through all the way but definitely far enough for me to leave it and be happy (unless I notice that it leaks air). About to hook it up and test. Fingers crossed! My luck has been horrible the past 24 hours or so.

Comment

• thatguyyoulove
              • Aug 2010

FINISHED!

After way too many days and problems with various tasks, the sub is complete!
              [YOUTUBE]z0Dzm3Xuz9g[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

• evilskillit
                • Oct 2008

Awesome, tho I wouldn't say its "finished" till its in its spot and integrated. Let us know how that works out.

Comment

• thatguyyoulove
                  • Aug 2010

It is. I'll take a picture in just a second.

Comment

• thatguyyoulove
                    • Aug 2010

Here it is at my messy desk haha.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kL46Bl.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	935140

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jaqkol.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	935141
                    Last edited by theSven; 03 May 2023, 20:18 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"