X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pjisgreat
    • Sep 2008

need help in selecting rear speakers.

Hi guys,

This is my first post on this forum. I currently have the following equipment.

B&W 602 S2 for fronts
    B&W LCR 600 S3 for center channel

Marantz CD 6000 OSE
    Yamaha RXV 596
    Denon 585 tape deck
    Samsung cheapo dvd player

Now I need to buy some rear speakers and I need some help in this regard. I will have to wait for a sub for another 6 months, no money.

I am thinking of the following options.

1. use my 602 S2 as fronts and 309 as rear
    2. use my 602 S2 as rear and 309 as fronts
    Are the 309 better than 602 S2 for music and for movies. Where is which one better, front or rear.
    3. Go for small bookshelfs, either 303 or 600 for rears.
    4. Go for satellites LM1 or M1 as rears.

Of course I will audition these before i buy them, but I am no audiophile and would value your opinion.

Thanx
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

I used to have the 602S2 and CC6 center, together with 601S2s for the rears, which worked well. I don't know what today's equivalent is, and I'm not familiar with the 309s, but if you can pick up a good used pair of 601s somewhere (e.g., audiogon.com) that would be my recommendation.
    Brad

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Synergy

pjisgreat,

I'm also not sure what a 309 is. However, I would suggest that you try to stay within the same line of speakers, the 6 series. This would be like a pair of 601's or 602's. Even from prior generations like the S2 (current generation is 68X). The synergy you would attain would be very nice.

Consider this.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• KRC
        • Aug 2004

I am currently running the 600 S3 and they work great. I purchased a pair of 703's as I listen to alot of two channel and others have said you should keep the speakers in the same line and range as there is a difference integrating them. I am sure this is correct but until you upgrade to the point where they are all at the same level and you have taken care of amplification and sources you work with what you have. There are alot of considerations, room size, how loud you play, how lively the room is.

Kevin

Comment

• pjisgreat
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by htsteve
          pjisgreat,

I'm also not sure what a 309 is. However, I would suggest that you try to stay within the same line of speakers, the 6 series. This would be like a pair of 601's or 602's. Even from prior generations like the S2 (current generation is 68X). The synergy you would attain would be very nice.

Consider this.

Hope this helps.
          I am in india and here the prices for 68x is very high. The 686 costs 50% more than 309 as 309 is a discontinued model which is still available. Here are some details for 309. I am looking for used 600s and 601s in the used market here but still no success.

Comment

• pjisgreat
            • Sep 2008

I did find some reviews for 309, it was basically launched for the asian markets it seems and lots of reviews are calling it just a very average speaker, so its off my list.

So now my options are to either get 303 as the rear speakers, or get DM 603 (base model) as fronts and move my 602 s2 to rears. The 603 is costing me twice as much as the 309s.
            Which one is a better setup. I cannot audition these speakers as these are not available in the market (already discontinued) and I will be buying them online. Please let me know asap as I will be ordering one or the other speaker today or tomorrow

Comment

• Sounder
              • Oct 2007

I went down this path for a long time. The best solution is to choose the matching speakers. Stick with the 600 series. Even if you choose a lower model than you'd like, you can trade later. The balanced "voice" of the speakers will make the sound very coherent and natural across the board.

If you choose a different series, it may sound good, but somehow will be lacking. Trust me, I went through a lot of speakers trying to make it sound right. Once I got the matched set, it all fell into place. The matched set is the only way to go.

Comment

• htsteve
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Sounder
                I went down this path for a long time. The best solution is to choose the matching speakers. Stick with the 600 series. Even if you choose a lower model than you'd like, you can trade later. The balanced "voice" of the speakers will make the sound very coherent and natural across the board.

If you choose a different series, it may sound good, but somehow will be lacking. Trust me, I went through a lot of speakers trying to make it sound right. Once I got the matched set, it all fell into place. The matched set is the only way to go.

pjisgreat,

I definitely agree with this. Try to find a pair in the series. Even the entry level model will offer good symmetry.

Let us know what you end up with.

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Ideal situation all same speakers around. :T
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"