X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boroty
    • Feb 2008

B & W 803d vs KEF 207

I know this is a b&W site, but I have the option to by the KEF 207 @ the same price as the 803d. Does anyone have any advice?
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by boroty
    I know this is a b&W site, but I have the option to by the KEF 207 @ the same price as the 803d. Does anyone have any advice?
    "The 207 is the best-sounding design to use KEF's Uni-Q driver array that I have heard, and competes head-on with such high-performance designs as the speakers listed above, as well as B&W's Nautilus 801 and Signature 800 and the Revel Ultima Studio. While my ultimate preference would be for the slightly less expensive Wilson and Revel designs, the big, beautiful-looking KEF is still a speaker I could live with for a long time. Highly recommended."

The very last review I wrote for Hi-Fi News & Record Review (these days just plain Hi-Fi News)—before crossing the Atlantic to take up the reins at Stereophile in May 1986—was of KEF's then-new flagship speaker, the Reference 107. That rave review appeared in the English magazine's July 1986 issue, and was followed by equally positive reports from Stereophile's writers.

The KEF 207 is five year old technology where as the 803D is four years old so the best is go listen and see which one you like best

At nearly simultaneous press receptions in London and New York on November 17, B&W unveiled its new 800 series loudspeakers, the first complete redesign of this respected and venerable line in more than six years. Wisely, the presentation began with cocktails and a surprisingly entertaining technical description of the innovations. The latter offered many reassurances that, although all aspects of the 800 line were examined, no changes were made simply for the sake of change, and the basic design principles withstood this re-examination.

Maybe Kal has heard them both?
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Ataim
      • Aug 2008

Which one sounds the best to you? Thats the right one for you. Speakers are so subjective, so whet sound good to ou is the best. Have you listened to both?

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

boroty,

I think these are two different class of speakers. I believe the price per pair of the KEF's is over $20,000USD, more than twice the 803D. I would expect that the KEF would be better.

I've had no experience with that level of KEF. I do have 802D's and have listened to 803D's. I personally love the diamond tweeter. Very clear, very easy to listen to.

I also have never been fond of the integrated driver set-up. But the proof is in the listening. Your ears are the best judge of which is better.

For either speaker, what are you planning to drive them with?

Comment

• boroty
          • Feb 2008

I have not listened to the KEF's, but have listened to the 803D's. That is the delima I have . However the price on the KEF's is $5,500. They are 3 years old and this is 33% of the original list price. Seems like a great deal, but distance makes listening a problem..... I currently have a rotel 1092, Denon 5308 and Lexicon RT-20 in my system. What I need to round it out is a great pair of speakers. My logical side says don't buy speakers you can't listen to, but the left side of my brain wonders if I am leaving a better sound on the table.

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

I have not listened to the KEF's, but have listened to the 803D's. That is the delima I have . My logical side says don't buy speakers you can't listen to, but the left side of my brain wonders if I am leaving a better sound on the table.
            803D are great speakers, the question is do you like to buy used products? How often did the KEF where listen to are they demo products? If they are stay away as demo products usually get abused badly!

Also I would never buy an audio without careful evaluation and extensive listening. Trust you ears more than reviews or neighbours...

Speakers are the key link of a pleasurable audio system in order of importance that is how I have spent my money an my Audio System excluding video

1. Speakers (54%)
            2. Amplification (23%)
            3. Pre/pro (17%)
            4. Sources (5%)
            5. Cables (1%)
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• style
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2006

Hi,

If was the 207/2 ...personaly sure no doubt.....

with the RB1092 D class I will go with the 803d but this is MY choice...

Omar

Comment

• ShadowZA
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Boroty, I've recently moved my 803D's to surround duty. I loved having these beauties as fronts. It is the sound of the diamond dome tweeters that I really like. Unfortunately I have not heard the KEF's and so I am unable to offer an opinion. But ... if I can offer my best advice: Try to listen to the KEF's before you decide.

As Ataim, htsteve & wettou have mentioned: The correct choice for YOU will be that which YOUR ears prefer.

Good luck & please keep us posted.

Comment

• beden1
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2006

I've had my 803D's for about 1 1/2 years, but only get to listen to them when I'm part-time at our second home. I've been here for over a week, and continue to gain appreciation for them the more I listen . . . and feel they are better than I ever initially thought possible.

The plus about the diamond series speakers is the clarity and smoothness. Before getting these speakers, I've never truly appreciated many of the tweaks or equipment upgrades that I would make to my system. With the 803D's, you can hear the difference with just about anything you improve or modify.

The negative about the diamond series speakers is the clarity. It's like a drug, as they can keep performing better and better the more you feed them system improvements. They love and almost demand clean and ample power, a matching quality pre-amp/pre-pro, good source materials and player, proper connections, and acoustics. It gets exspensive, but at least you realize the benefits and keep wanting to explore how to make them sound better and better.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                    • Jun 2006

Do they include the shipping crates? If you can buy them to try and sell and get your money back if you prefer something else, great. I bought N801's and S800's without listening to them first. I have been very happy with both speakers.

I heard 802D's at a local shop and woudl have never bought them. They were not broken in and sounded harsh and terrible the way that they were set up. Just about everything sounded aweful at CES last January. So much for auditioning.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"