X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fatcat
    • Feb 2005

802D and McIntosh 207 amp

Has anyone heard the N802/802D driven by the McIntosh 207 amp? It's rated at 200 watts/channel 8 ohms, but reportedly puts out closer to 300 watts. With McIntosh's reputation for driving most any speaker with ease, I'm not too concerned, but the 802 is famously power hungry.

Of course, the 501 would be ideal, but I imagine the 207 (which is McIntosh's best multi-channel amp to date) should do an admiral job.
  • dortiz
    • Mar 2005

Not enough, sorry.

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

Not sure this will help, but I heard the N802 with a MC275 (w/ C2200 & MVP851). The sound was great, but lacking power for more "heavy" stuff (like Symphony-X). Jazz at normal volumes was excellent though (by normal volume, I mean at the volume that the real instruments play).

The 207 might do the trick for you depending on your usage, but a few MC402's would probably be alot better (sure, 501's would be king). Your "power" needs also depend if you prefer the sound on the 8-ohm connectors (louder) or 4-ohm connectors (better damping but not as loud).

Comment

• Jeff
        • Dec 2004

Can you do better than the McIntosh 207...sure. But please don't get the idea you'll be barely getting by with the a McIntosh at 200 wpc. I've been running my N802 with a Proceed amp at 150 wpc accompanied by some reasonable front end components. Damn...it sounds good!

Perhaps spending a grand or so on some accoustic treatments would be a less expensive way then going for the 501's and still have a satisfying outcome. On the other hand the 501's are a life time amp. You'll have to look elsewhere for future upgrades.

Either way you go, you'll posses a system many on this forum only dream of even if it is "only" 200wpc.

Jeff

Comment

• jim777
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Jeff
          Either way you go, you'll posses a system many on this forum only dream of even if it is "only" 200wpc.
          The guy has a point

The MC275 is "only" 75wpc and I would live with it anytime

Just take note that 200wpc won't break your house into pieces, but will be enough for all except extreme-high-volume heavy/rock/.. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"