X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P1et
    • Jan 2006

B&W 602 S3 vs. XT2

As much as I love my 602 S3s, I am thinking about upgrading to the XT2s. My wife and I have recently moved into a house with a smaller living room and we feel the 602 S3s are a bit too big.

What does everyone think of the XT2s? I have not seen too many reviews on them.

Thank you.
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

The only forum member that I recall who owns the XT2 is WI Rotel. He should be able to give you the best answer.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

The XT2 is very good. I've never had the opportunity to compare the DM602S3 to them put from memory the midrange and treble are better. The tweeter is really good on the XT Series. The enclosure is very inert as well so you don't hear any of the "box" as well. The XT2 won't play that low in the bass (for obvious reasons) so a sub is needed in my opinion. I sold a surround system that has four XT2s (all wall mounted), an XTC, and an ASW610 run by a Rotel RSX-1058 and it sounds really good. Much better than I thought it was going to due to the placement of the XT2s.

If you have a sub, I think you would like the move to the XT2. If not, then you should look at something else.

Eric

Comment

• WI Rotel
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by P1et
        As much as I love my 602 S3s, I am thinking about upgrading to the XT2s. My wife and I have recently moved into a house with a smaller living room and we feel the 602 S3s are a bit too big.

What does everyone think of the XT2s? I have not seen too many reviews on them.

Thank you.
        I use the XT2 as surrounds. The sound is essentially the same as the XT4 but without the lower octaves. They offer very clean sound with the XT's usual immense sound stage. Like the other Xt's they love to play loud and do so remarkably. If you're going to use them as mains, however, a PV1 is mandatory rather than optional. By themselves they would sound tiny. Compared to the 602, I would certainly say that the sound fidelity is definitely a very noticable notch above, the 602 is significanly less revealing and "muddier". The main difference is the is not really the drivers but the enclosure, the XT aluminium enclosure is superbly sound neutral and its lean cabinet size essentially eliminates all cabinet difraction issues, the same goes for the decoupled tweeter. But again, lastly, without a PV1 they definitely will lack presence. Although billed as a monitor, it actually stradles between a monitor and a satellite. IMO, when coupled with the PV1 it blows any 6 and most, if not all, of the 7 series away.
        Regarding subs, the PV1 is not cheap and it doesn't have a very high output (since you are downsizing its output is probably more than adequate for your needs) but its sound and musicality are second to none. Its compatibility with the XT series is nothing short of amazing. No other sub, not even other BW's match the XT sound so thoroughly. This is not surprising, of course, since the XT was purposefully matched to the PV1 from day 1 of development.
        :T

Comment

• WI Rotel
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
          The XT2 is very good. I've never had the opportunity to compare the DM602S3 to them put from memory the midrange and treble are better. The tweeter is really good on the XT Series. The enclosure is very inert as well so you don't hear any of the "box" as well. The XT2 won't play that low in the bass (for obvious reasons) so a sub is needed in my opinion. I sold a surround system that has four XT2s (all wall mounted), an XTC, and an ASW610 run by a Rotel RSX-1058 and it sounds really good. Much better than I thought it was going to due to the placement of the XT2s.

If you have a sub, I think you would like the move to the XT2. If not, then you should look at something else.

Eric
          Hey! You jumped in ahead of me :W Couldn't have said better myself :T

Comment

• P1et
            • Jan 2006

Thank you very much for the input! I would be selling my B&W 602S3s and my LCR60 for the two XT2s. There just isn't much room at this point for anything else.

As far as bass is concerned, I have an ASW 650 that should take care of the shaking. Do you think it would be a good match?

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

The ASW650 is a nice subwoofer and will work great with the XT2s. I think the ASW650 was under appreciated. That woofer hammers in a home theater and still has speed to keep up with music in two channel listening. I think you will be happy.

Are you getting the XTC as well?

Eric

Comment

• WI Rotel
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                The ASW650 is a nice subwoofer and will work great with the XT2s. I think the ASW650 was under appreciated. That woofer hammers in a home theater and still has speed to keep up with music in two channel listening. I think you will be happy.

Are you getting the XTC as well?

Eric
                I agree. :T
                However, if expense is not a problem, I'd swap the sub too! :W

Comment

• P1et
                  • Jan 2006

Thanks again! Eventually, I will get the XTC. But for now, probably just the XT2s.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"