X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jon S
    • Feb 2005

Matching center to 602 S3s

This is my first time posting here, but after reading so many of threads I'm more comfortable with my choice of 602 S3s to replace a set of Infinity RS9Bs that were 20 years old. After about 20-25 hours these B&Ws are really starting to open up.

Now I need a center to go with the fronts. The problem is that my TV is in a cabinet which leaves a space on top only 5-3/8" high for a center. B&W's centers are too tall to fit.

WAF precludes putting the center on top of the cabinet (plus it would be almost 5' off the ground). The 602s were a bit of a stretch for her because of their large cabinets, and I do not want to push my luck.

Does anyone know of a center priced in the $100-250 range that would be a reasonably good match until I can figure out how to replace the furniture? CSW MC300? Wharfedales? DefTech? Infinity? I can read the specs and see the sizes, but I'd prefer recommendations. And replacing the wife is not an option, either.

TIA.

Jon
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

Why would you wanna waste $100-250 for a center channel that you're not even going to keep and you still won't get a seamless front stage that you pay good money for? I don't understand alot of people with the WAF sometimes, I'm not married yet, maybe when I do, I'll understand it better. I do live with my girlfriend and even now, I still have the final say in the room layouts, at least AV-related. I also don't understand why your wife won't allow you to put the center on top of the cabinet?
    How about another option, would getting a center channel stand work for you? I have the Sound Anchor Center Channel stand for my LCR600 and it's rock solid stability. I have 2 puppies in the place, and the stand is so stable that the fear of speakers falling and hitting them is non-existent. www.soundanchor.com for more info. Other than that, I'd say you get the new cabinet first then worry about getting the center channel. And as for best match for the 602s, there really isn't many options other than the LCR600. I wish they'd make a bigger center channel w/ the 7 in. drivers like the 602s and 604s. IMO, the 604s and 602s are the best speakers in the entire 600 range. Best of wishes.

Comment

• Jon S
      • Feb 2005

> Why would you wanna waste $100-250 for a center channel that you're not even going to keep and you still won't get a seamless front stage that you pay good money for?

The majority of my listening is music (90%+), so I did't think the center channel would be as important as it would be if I used the system for more home theatre. I'd like there to be sound from the center for movies, but it does not have to be perfectly seamless.

> I don't understand alot of people with the WAF sometimes, I'm not married yet, maybe when I do, I'll understand it better. I do live with my girlfriend and even now, I still have the final say in the room layouts, at least AV-related.

Even though you and your girlfriend live together, I'd wager that the AV stuff is still "yours." My wife and I lived together 2 years before we were married, which was a useful transition period to learn how to make accomodations for one another. Because it's *our* home, we both have to agree how things look, which means no oversized, unattractive furniture or electronics from her perspective, and no flowery, lacey bedding, pillows and curtains from mine. Give and take makes for a happy home.

> I also don't understand why your wife won't allow you to put the center on top of the cabinet?

Because a big black box on top of a nice cherry entertainment center is not very attractive. I have to agree with her on that one.

>How about another option, would getting a center channel stand work for you?

It would block access to the drawer under the TV that holds tapes, dvds, etc.

> Other than that, I'd say you get the new cabinet first then worry about getting the center channel.

That's the course we're now taking. We'll be replacing our 14 year old 26" tube TV with a larger flat screen (maybe 48" or so; seating is only 7-9 feet from the screen). Our cabinet won't fit more than a 27" tube TV so its gotta go. It should be easier to find something that can integrate decent home theater components rather than trying to fit the components into our current cabinet.

> And as for best match for the 602s, there really isn't many options other than the LCR600. I wish they'd make a bigger center channel w/ the 7 in. drivers like the 602s and 604s. IMO, the 604s and 602s are the best speakers in the entire 600 range.

I spent a fair amount of time auditioning the different 600 bookshelf speakers. The 602 did the best job in the range followed by the 600 and then the 601.

However, I've returned the 602s. Now that the cabinet is going, I think it'll be easier to plan a whole system at one time rather than trying to pick pieces that will fit into what we already have.

Any thoughts on the CM2s compared to the 602s? How about the 603s vs. 604s vs 602s?

Thanks for your input.

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

You're really coming into a problem that what you are looking for to match speaker wise with room decor, you NEED to spend more money. You should be looking into the 700 or 800 series of speakers, since th 600/CMs don't give you much options to make it look like your speakers are furniture grade pieces of the room.

That's just my opinion though...

As far as the difference, the CMs are closer to the 600 series in sound performance than the 700 series...but yet closer to price on the 700 series than the 600. So for me you don't get as much value over performance for the speakers. If you can squeeze it out, just get a two channel system consisting of the 705s... I think you and the Mrs. would be much happier with those speakers. Besides, the better imagine of the 705s will give you that "phantom" center channel feel when watching movies and I don't think you'll miss out a whole lot on not having a center. I would not recommend getting a cheap/crappy center, it's not worth it, put that money into your mains if anything...
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• BlazeMaster
          • May 2004

I'd agree with what PewterTA said about what to expect from a "entry-level" product from a higher-end audio company like B&W and many others. I'm sure the looks aren't the biggest concern when they designed the cabinest for the 600s series. I personally actually like the way they looked TO ME...especially in all black with the yellow drivers. But that's just me, I understand that not everyone will like the cabinet design, especially the Mrs. Since you're on the topic of marriage and about understanding and accomdating, why don't you take her with you next time you go to the audio stores? You guys can then both agree on the performance and looks of a speaker, so there won't be any surprises or argument when you bring them home? IMO, the 700s and 800s are much more pleasing to look at, if your wife still don't like the looks of them, then perhaps B&Ws aren't meant to be. I'd also agree with PewterTA about the CM series, not sounding too much better for the extra cost. The looks are pretty much the same, with different "real wood" finishes. Just the same speakers with more attractive cabinets, why not consider the 700s if you have more $$ to spend?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"