X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FSonicSmith
    • Feb 2005

HTM7 a good idea in a 603/602 system?

My dedicated HT room (which I'm still in the process of completing) will have a Rotel 1056 receiver, a Denon 2910 DVD, two 603 S3s in the fronts, and 2 602 S3s in the rear. I am going to drive my fronts with a separate amp, a McCormack DNA-1, in order to free up the receiver's power supply (I already had the amp on hand and also figured "why not"). I originally purchased an LC60 to use as my center, but today I could not resist buying a brand new HTM7 being sold at a good price by a private seller. So here's my dilemna; I can return the unopened LC60 to the dealer or I could use the HTM7 as a second center in the front or back (which one day when 7.1 becomes prevalent will serve a more useful purpose). Or I could learn (here) that the HTM7 is a mistake and re-sell it for at least the price I just bought it for. So what should I do? Just so you get the full picture (pun) my video is a 103" diag (49" high by 90" wide or so) screen and ceiling mounted front projector which is necessitating that my center channel be placed either higher or lower than optimum because the wall on which the screen is mounted is only 7 feet high. I figure using a second center channel in back may help since the front center channel will be sub-optimally positioned.
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

I have the 603s3's also w/rotel rsx1056.Your just a little more advanced than me since i still need to get the proper surrounds which will probably be the 601s3 because of size.Any how i have the lcr600 center which is the match for those speakers not the one you have or even the lcr60.I suggest you listen to it with your speakers and see how they sound.But i beleive the lcr600 would be the better match.

Comment

• FSonicSmith
      • Feb 2005

But i beleive the lcr600 would be the better match.
      Actually, that's what I have now, the LC600. I somehow thought it was the LC60 that was bigger than the 600 rather than the actual, vice-versa. B&W made it tough to keep these two straight.

Comment

• ti33er
        • Apr 2004

HTM7, you will get upgradeitus in no time. On the upside, accurate vocal reproduction on the front channel (and bass in general) is what makes a HT sound great!?
        "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• weijst
          • Jun 2004

I'd keep the HTM7 and setup the LCR600 in the back. The LCR600 is a good (if not the only) partner for the 602's. Selling the LCR600 now will probably have you buying it back in the future when you're starting to be curious for 6.1 surround...
          If money is an issue, I'd sell the HTM7 for now and setup the LCR600 as the front center for a great homogeneous soundstage.

Like ti33er said though, keeping the HTM7 means you'll probably have to start looking for anti-upgradeitusbug-spray....
          Last edited by weijst; 02 March 2005, 04:22 Wednesday.
          Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• srb
            • Oct 2004

I have a Rotel RSX-1056 with an RB-1080 powering front L & R DM602 S3. I compared the LCR600 with the HTM-7, and much preferred the HTM-7, even though it is a "mismatch".

I do not have a multi-channel setup (DVD-A or SACD), so it's possible that the difference would be more apparent under those circumstances, but for HT, I think the HTM-7 sounds much cleaner than the LCR600.

The only disadvantage I can see with the HTM-7 is that it is quite tall (12"), and the top-mounted tweeter is quite a bit higher than the tweeters in the L & R, if you put in on top of your TV, as I have.

Comment

• csuzor
              • Nov 2004

I would also keep the HTM7 (I did, and cancelled the orders for 600 series)
              So much more clarity throughout the sound spectrum with the 700 series. You'll really notice it with the voices in films.
              Watch out for placement though, it doesn't like being under the TV, and above it is a little too tall. Needs room to breath, otherwise it will sound muffled. I ended up having it next to the TV, until I can buy a LCD and wall mount it.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"