X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DM3000 Owner
    • Jun 2006

How to replace tweeters on Nautilus and Signature speakers

This seems ot get asked a lot. It is very easy to do.

Step one, call B&W and order a new tweeter. You will probably have to leave a message. Call back if you do not hear beack in about one week. Specify if you have a Nautilus or Signature speaker.
    B&W's number: 800-370-3740

The first 5 phots show:

1) Bad Tweeter

2) Remove grill (just pull off - held on by a magnet)

3) Carefully grab the bezel and twist and pull out.

4) 2 wires held on by push on tabs

5) Just pull teh wires off, they are black and white.
    Attached Files
  • DM3000 Owner
    • Jun 2006

6) Make sure you have the right tweeter (B&W almost sent the wrong one).

7) Nice packaging

8 ) Positive marked with a red mark

9) Plug the new one in, red to positive
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HTG Rules Administrator; 28 July 2008, 03:21 Monday.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
      • Jun 2006

10) Put the ribber o ring from your old tweeter on the new one. Put the bezel back on.

11) Back in business.
      Attached Files

Comment

• JürgenW
        • Jul 2004

Great!

Now if someone would do the same for the Matrix 801 S3 (and S2), I would be happy.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by JürgenW
          Great!

Now if someone would do the same for the Matrix 801 S3 (and S2), I would be happy.
          I did a Matrix tweeter.

You can do it two ways. Both require removing the tweeter housing.

1) Remove the midrange driver.

2) Reach in and unscrew the tweeter housing from the top of the midrange chamber. If I remember correctly, the wires just undo with an interconnect.

3) Pull the tweeter housing out.

Now is where you have to assess your skills. If you are not comfortable, pack the housing up and send it to B&W for diaphragm replacement. About $100 plus shipping two ways.

If you have mechanical skills and are good at soldering you can replace the diaphragm yourself. About $30 for the diaphragm.

I am going off of memory here. Examine the housing carefully. The bottom of the bezel comes off, which then allows the grill to come off and the housing to slip off of the tweeter (or something like that, if you are good with mechanical items you can figure it out).

Now pull the tweeter diaphragm off of the front. Carefully compare it to the new one to determine the orientation and which wire goes to which post so that you reinstall it in phase. You may want to take a photo. Now use a soldering iron to remove the wires, and re-solder the wires to the new diaphragm the same way that they came off. I did not need to add any solder. Just touch the iron to the existing solder on the end of the wire and it will flow onto the new post. Hold it there without the iron and let it cool. You don’t want to add solder because the wire needs to fit through a small slot. Do the other wire and then put it back together again.

I also suggest a small modification. Go to Radio Shack and get a pair of fuse holders and fast blow fuses (1.5 amp or smaller) and install them in the positive wire to the tweeter inside of the midrange housing on each speaker. Then the next time you will just be replacing a fuse.

Comment

• JürgenW
            • Jul 2004

Thanks!

I have two new tweeters in stock, just for in case.

So when it is time, I 'll give it a try.

Comment

• sheldon1451
              • Jul 2008

Hi All...anyone care to give me an idea of what to expect to pay for a replacement tweeter for the Nautilus? My speakers are around 7 years old. Maybe first generation?
              Thank you in advance

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by sheldon1451
                Hi All...anyone care to give me an idea of what to expect to pay for a replacement tweeter for the Nautilus? My speakers are around 7 years old. Maybe first generation?
                Thank you in advance
                I should have added that. Nautilus run about $135 each plus shipping and Signature run about $160 each plus shipping.

Comment

• sheldon1451
                  • Jul 2008

Ok. Thanks for the info...I ordered one from a local retailer. He gets them in one week...I would not wait for one week for someone to get back to me! This is much quicker.

Comment

• sheldon1451
                    • Jul 2008

B&W Price list

Is there a web site I can go to for up-to-date pricing? The tweeter is in for me to pick up at my local dealer and he's telling me it went up to about 175.00 since we "last" spoke (2 weeks ago)! It's for the Nautilus, 1st gen?
                    I'm also planning on replacing my in-ceiling speakers with B&W for my home theater. Any suggestions appreciated.
                    Thank you.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by sheldon1451
                      Is there a web site I can go to for up-to-date pricing? The tweeter is in for me to pick up at my local dealer and he's telling me it went up to about 175.00 since we "last" spoke (2 weeks ago)! It's for the Nautilus, 1st gen?
                      I'm also planning on replacing my in-ceiling speakers with B&W for my home theater. Any suggestions appreciated.
                      Thank you.
                      Call B&W at the number above.

Comment

• sheldon1451
                        • Jul 2008

Thank you :T

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Those look like the same tweets on my N802s/HTM1/SCM1s

Are they? They were about 99$ usd if I recall, $10 shipping.
                          B&W

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                            Those look like the same tweets on my N802s/HTM1/SCM1s

Are they? They were about 99$ usd if I recall, $10 shipping.
                            Prices going up. See my post above. Nautilus Tweeters were about $135 ea and Signature tweeters about $160 each in July. $10 shipping.

Comment

• utkinpol
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                              Prices going up. See my post above. Nautilus Tweeters were about $135 ea and Signature tweeters about $160 each in July. $10 shipping.
                              May I ask quite an idiotic question? I just got my 805S from Ebay, at least boxes do say 805S.

On speakers rear panel there is a serial number, but model is indicated as 805. How do I tell if it is a signature model or regular one?

One of tweeters was fallen apart during shipping and I pulled it back. I cannot hear any sound implications but there is a little dent on tweeter`s dome surface now, so I was wondering to order a replacement. So, would it be important to order replacement in pairs considering my speakers are probably quite old? And how to find what particular model of tweeters to order?

Or may be I am just overreacting and should not worry at all if tweeter works fine?

Comment

• sheldon1451
                                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                                I called B&W yesterday and I was quoted 88.36 + 10.00 shipping for a replacement tweeter for my 802. Did they make a mistake? I DID tell them that I'm a consumer, not a dealer.

Comment

• quan325i
                                  • Apr 2005

Has anyone tried to replace the midrange or crossover of a 801 Nautilus? I need help desperately. Thanks.

Comment

• rodH
                                    • Aug 2002

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone taken an S series tweeter and installed it on the N series speaker? I hear the S tweeter is a much better unit and would like to try and change my N tweeter with it. Purchasing a complete set of speakers is out of my budget for now. TIA

Comment

• wkhanna
                                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

it is likely a crossover modification would be required in order to achieve a 'proper' frequency response.
                                      this would entail measurement equipment, software, knowledge of circuit design & the acuity to apply all three in order achieve this result.
                                      still there is no guarantee the new teeters would have characteristics that would integrate correctly into the 804's without getting accurate measurements on them first.
                                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• rodH
                                        • Aug 2002

nevermind, it appears the N and S tweeter has a different fitment, but the Signature tweeter will fit, which is also a much better tweeter. Now need to figure out what would need to be done to the Xover to make it work properly

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"