Is there something wrong with my CDM 9NT?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex Tang
    • Feb 2008

Is there something wrong with my CDM 9NT?

I have a pair of B&W CDM9NT bi-wire with Rotel RSX 1055 receiver. I bought it used from someone. And I feel there is not enough bass, so I play around with the sub cross over and the speaker large/small setting. I set the cross over to 80, and turn off the subwoofer. I switch back and forth between large and small, there is no audiable difference. But when I turn on the subwoofer, I can hear the subwoofer when it is small. So, it seems the speakers cannot produce bass. But I touch the cones, they are all vibrating/functioning. Is it normal? Or something is wrong with the speaker? Do you have any suggestion on what should I do?

Thank you very much.
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Alex Tang
    I have a pair of B&W CDM9NT bi-wire with Rotel RSX 1055 receiver. I bought it used from someone. And I feel there is not enough bass, so I play around with the sub cross over and the speaker large/small setting. I set the cross over to 80, and turn off the subwoofer. I switch back and forth between large and small, there is no audiable difference. But when I turn on the subwoofer, I can hear the subwoofer when it is small. So, it seems the speakers cannot produce bass. But I touch the cones, they are all vibrating/functioning. Is it normal? Or something is wrong with the speaker? Do you have any suggestion on what should I do?

Thank you very much.
    Check to make sure that the wires are in phase. Check the + to + and - to - to make sure you connected your wires/speakers properly.

Comment

• Alex Tang
      • Feb 2008

Thanks for your response.

I checked, and the wires are connected correctly.

Also, I downloaded some test tracked at low frequency range, and it seems the speakers are functioning properly. At 10-19HZ, the cone is vibrating, but the bass is not really audiable. It becomes audiable around 20-29Hz. So, if that's the case, does that mean it is fine? Is it just the subwoofer can produce a louder bass? Is there other things I can check?

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

Also, I downloaded some test tracked at low frequency range, and it seems the speakers are functioning properly. At 10-19HZ, the cone is vibrating, but the bass is not really audiable. It becomes audiable around 20-29Hz. So, if that's the case, does that mean it is fine? Is it just the subwoofer can produce a louder bass? Is there other things I can check?
        Your receiver may still be crossing over at 80Hz even though you defeated the sub woofer, and not sending the full frequency range to your main speakers. Try setting it to the highest setting above 80Hz and defeat the sub woofer in the receiver. Just to make sure your sub woofer is not also managing it's own crossover, unplug the sub woofer to see if it makes any difference.

Comment

• Isaac
          • Jan 2006

Seems to me it might just be that the CDM9NT cannot produce deep bass, especially at the 10-19Hz range. If you are putting you receivers setting to LARGE and the crossovers setting are correct, it should be sending the full frequency to your front/main speakers.

Comment

• Alex Tang
            • Feb 2008

I tried setting the crossover to the highest 120Hz, and turn off the subwoofer, still no difference. Also, I verified the crossover of the subwoofer is set to its max at 160Hz

Since I can hear bass from subwoofer, that means the song has bass signal. But as I said, I downloaded some test files, and the cone is vibration like crazy at low frequency from 10-19 Hz. If it is moving, does that mean the speaker itself is functioning normally? Or there can be something else wrong?

Also, the subwoofer has a volume control .. could it be possible that the subwoofer is magnifying the bass? I can also turn up the bass at the receiver, but even I turn to max (+10), it is still very weak.

My main question is, is there anything wrong with the speaker? Anyone has used CDM9NT can comment on the bass? Or is there any song that you would recommend me to further test the bass? I tested it with the Justin Timberlake which has quite strong bass.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

Also, I downloaded some test tracked at low frequency range, and it seems the speakers are functioning properly. At 10-19HZ, the cone is vibrating, but the bass is not really audiable. It becomes audiable around 20-29Hz.
              That's fine. Your hearing threshold drops off precipitously in the bass and 20Hz is generally regarded as the bottom end of human hearing. To hear lower (or even feel lower frequencies) one needs much more output power than most domestic speakers can provide. That's why we have subwoofers.

Kal
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Briz vegas
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Thanks Kal - as I was reading this I was getting frustrated that no one picked up on the limit of normal human hearing. You feel bass under 20 hz, you don't hear it.

If you go to a night club the bass is centred on 63hz and many speakers used in that application only go down to 40hz, they are however very capable when it comes to sheer output. Ever stood in a club and wanted more bass.

Not enough bass is a very general term when you realise the sheer number of things that could be causing your concern, including your own distorted expectations. Hifi is a personal thing however and some folks like alot of bass simply because that is what they want from their system. B&W speakers are about accuracy and high fidelity first, although the 683 and 703/NT9 are certainly not lacking in bass.

You may find that you get more useful feedback if you explain the circumstances and your expectations. ie for action movies you want that kick in the chest feeling (buy a B&W ASW750 or Velo DD12 or one of those big monsters that fill the whole corner of your room). Maybe for two channel listening you want a more realistic sounding double bass on your favourite jazz track (anything from room, speaker positioning, amp, source, cables, powercords - or more likely all of the above).

There are alot of threads on this forum discussing this very topic (bass). I would do a search and see what others have discovered.
                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Hi Alex,

I own a pair of CDM9NT speakers and compared to some other speakers (e.g. the similarly priced Paradigm Studio 100) I consider the CDM9NT to be a little bass shy. To my ears the real strength of the CDM9NT is its performance with mid-range frequencies. For example, I think that acoustic guitar, piano, saxophone and vocals sound wonderful.

I bought a B&W ASW750 subwoofer to meet my need for increased bass, particularly when watching music DVDs at higher volume.

My ASW750 plays all frequencies from 80Hz and below. My CDM9NTs play all frequencies from 80Hz and above.

This setup may not be as good as a pair of 800Ds but for the comparatively modest investment required I think it's a pretty good compromise.

The frequency of a kick drum is about 60Hz and the lowest note on a 4-string bass guitar is 41Hz. The CDM9NT will play those frequencies but not with nearly as much oomph as a ASW750 subwoofer. Just consider that my CDM9NTs are driven by a 200 watt amp whereas my ASW750 is powered by a 1000 watt amp. Low frequencies require substantial power if you want to "feel" the bass.

By configuring my CDM9NTs to only play frequencies above 80Hz I get superior sound quality at higher volume because I'm putting less strain on my amp and my CDM9NTs are less likely to clip.

I recommend that you consider supplementing your CDM9NTs with a subwoofer of reasonable quality.

Nigel.

Comment

• Alex Tang
                    • Feb 2008

Thank you bigburner for sharing your thoughts. I have the same feeling as you. The mids and highs are really crisp and clear. The bass is a bit weak, but it is very clean and solid though. It is better after I turn up the bass of the receiver to +8. And my receiver is only 75 W!

My main question is if there is anything wrong with the speakers, I think the answer is no. And since I have not tested the CD in any high end system, I don't have any reference, maybe as Briz Vegas said, the CD is supposed to be like that and the receiver and speakers are producing it accurately.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Can we ask what the CD is and maybe even which tracks you feel are lacking. Promise we will not laugh at your taste in music. Hell I even own Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, how embarrassing is that - mind you I don't really like it very much. (gets ready to duck flying objects)

......or are you referring to your test CD with the test tones - in whihc case I have risked being banded from this forum for nothing (for being a Floyd-o-phobic)
                      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Sounder
                        • Oct 2007

Your speakers are definitely broken. I'll buy them from you for $500 and take the risk that I can fix them. No risk for you that way! :-)

Just kidding. Your speakers sound like they are fine. I have 9NTs, and I think they have plenty of bass for most music. However, I have them bi-amped with a high current 150 wpc separate amp. I wouldn't expect them to have the same "oomph" with a 75 watt receiver. There's nothing wrong with using a receiver, but it's not going to have the same power behind it. They are great speakers, especially for the money. Fill in the bass with a sub and you'll be fine.

Also, if you check the B&W web site, I believe the response of these speakers is only down to 40hz, so you are hoping for them to do something they can't.

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by Sounder
                          I believe the response of these speakers is only down to 40hz, so you are hoping for them to do something they can't.
                          B&W specifies 38Hz – 20kHz ± 3dB on reference axis.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Ataim
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                            Hell I even own Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, how embarrassing is that - mind you I don't really like it very much.
                            :rofl:

Ah, the Alan Parsons DVD-A is simply amazing to me. ;x(

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"