X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

Equipment cases vibrating/buzzing?

Anyone have any problems with their equipment cases vibrating/buzzing when the sub does it's job?

My Echostar (Dish Network) Model 5000 Receiver case makes a buzzing/rattling noise when my sub kicks in a long low note. Also my VCR,LD, and DVD players vibrate somewhat.

All of my equipment is in a very solid built wood cabinet (built into the corner of my room) on wood shelves. The shelves are supported by the adjustable type metal strip brackets (obviously 2 strips on each side of the cabinet).

I've thought about taking some screws and screwing through the sides of my cabinet into the sides of the shelves for more bracing. (I have easy access to the rear of my corner cabinet for connecting wires, etc.) Or should I be trying to isolate the shelves somehow? Or is there some way to dampen the cases of the equipment?

Any help or direction is appreciated.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

unfortunately, buzzing is an inherent part of bass. Heck, my whole house rattles sometimes I think, lol. But yes, equipment vibrations can be very annoying. Perhaps some isolation could help, I don't know for sure though...

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
      • Jan 2002

There's no doubt that every wall vibrated in my house on one scene. But I've only done it once. Angibug won't let me do the shake shake anymore. I've had to put small peices of felt behind every picture frame in my HT room. I've padded every door and moved some figurines around.

I don't think I'm gonna be able to put cones under each peice of equipment....I'm kinda tight on shelving as it is, unless there's some kind of mini cone that will work.

You are right, it's unfortunate.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I've never had a piece of equipment rattle but, like Lex, everything else has. I don't have any that are loud though.

I think you've done about as much as you can without spending a little more. If it is the Echostar, it maybe as simple as tightening a screw. Or placing a heavy low profile object on it (not covering any vents).

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

before you start screwing your gear rack together try using some blue tack in a few places and see if that helps.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
            • Jan 2002

You know the Echo* is the one that rattles the most and it is out from warranty anyway. I was thinking I might could take the cover off and maybe put some strips of dynamat on the inside top, being careful not to restrict the venting too much. It's just the top part that rattles. It's very flimsy. I can take my finger and tap the top and it's makes an ridiculous racket. The other equipment is not bad enough to notice, unless I'm standing right next to it and then it's just not near as drastic. Then again the VCR and LD are out from warranty also and I don't use them but once a year. I could probably dynamat them too.

I really don't have enough room to set anything on top that would be heavy enough and not cover up the vents more than needed and that wouldn't look like do-do.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"