X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWzes03
    • Oct 2005

Question: B&W 703 or CDM 9NT ?

Hi there..

I have a question for all you B&W lovers out there.
    I'm going to buy a pair of front speakers for my dedicated stereo system (Rotel RC-1090/RB-1080/RCD-1072/RT-1080) and I'm trying to decide between the new 703's and a pair of used CDM 9NT's.

I know I should make the decision based on a listening test, but I would like to know the forum members' opinions.

While I much like the design of the 703 more than the 9NT's, I've been told that the 703's are much more forward (bright) than the 9NT's and that the midrange detail is much more grainy than the 9NT's.

Can you guys give me your opinions ?

I can afford to buy new 703's, but the 9NT's are a lot cheaper (as they are used) which is a plus....
  • marcelhold
    • Oct 2006

difficult shot to call without listening to them. can you listen to the 2nd hand CDMs? if not, see if you can audition both in a shop and decide which you prefer... it's the only way...
    purely based on looks, I'd go for the 703; spec-wise, I'd go for the 703 as they're identical to the CDMs for frequnecy response but 1dB more sensitive (might this be why they're considered "forward"?), but like you said, the only way to really determine which is best for you is listening and picking the one you (and possibly your wallet) like best!

Comment

• RobP
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

What is the price of the new 703's? You may ,for the same price, be able to purchase a nice pair of pre-owned N804's or N803's.
      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• BWzes03
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by marcelhold
        difficult shot to call without listening to them. can you listen to the 2nd hand CDMs? if not, see if you can audition both in a shop and decide which you prefer... it's the only way...
        purely based on looks, I'd go for the 703; spec-wise, I'd go for the 703 as they're identical to the CDMs for frequnecy response but 1dB more sensitive (might this be why they're considered "forward"?), but like you said, the only way to really determine which is best for you is listening and picking the one you (and possibly your wallet) like best!
        Actually, I'm going to listen to the CDM 9NT's this weekend at a Dutch HTForum.nl-members' home. I will be taking my own amp with me, to get a reasonably correct impression.
        The 703's I can get for 2550 Euros, I do not know yet about the CDM's, but somewhere like 1400 euros or something.

Comment

• Blindamood
          • Sep 2003

I bought a new pair of CDM 9NTs a couple of years ago, just before B&W discontinued the line. Originally had them in an HT setup, but since moved to a dedicated 2-channel system. These speakers are very sweet for this purpose, although I have not compared to the 703s.

You mention these are just for 2-channel, but keep in mind that should you ever decide to expand to 5.1, it will be more difficult to match the CDM NT series.
          Brad

Comment

• NMG
            • Oct 2004

I can't comment on the CDM 9NT's, but I can comment on the 703's. I recently purchased a pair to go with my RB-1080, RC-1070 and RCD-1072 and they are SWEET! I find that they match very well with the other gear and the sound is simply beautiful. No complaints from me whatsoever.

Good luck!

Comment

• Miroku
              • Jul 2004

I own 9NTs also. Theyre a great speaker for sure. I havent studied the sound of the 703 but I seriously doubt that the 703 is worth nearly double the price of the 9NT.

I agree with the above poster in that if you are going to spend more money, and you are willing to buy used gear, you should look for some used 804 instead of new 703. :T

I had a talk with the guy who sold me my 9NTs about moving up to 703's down the line and he told me that a lot of his customers preferred the sound of the NT line to the 700 series. It was his opinion that the 700 series was voiced closer to the 600 series to separate the 800 series more, and boost higher end sales. He felt the CDM NT line was so close sounding to the Nautlius 800 series that they were cannabilizing sales. Somewhat of a conspiracy theory I know, but still interesting

Comment

• csuzor
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Miroku
                I havent studied the sound of the 703 but...
                I had a talk with the guy who sold me my 9NTs about moving up to 703's down the line and he told me that a lot of his customers preferred the sound of the NT line to the 700 series. It was his opinion that the 700 series was voiced closer to the 600 series to separate the 800 series more, and boost higher end sales. He felt the CDM NT line was so close sounding to the Nautlius 800 series that they were cannabilizing sales. Somewhat of a conspiracy theory I know, but still interesting
                I think he would have told you anything to sell you the 9NT and avoid having you listen to the 703. The 600 and 700 are miles apart, I can assure you, and the difference between 703 and 804 is much more subtle than from 604 to 703. I trust you didnt believe what he was saying anyway, and you are happy with your 9NT.

Comment

• beden1
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by csuzor
                  I think he would have told you anything to sell you the 9NT and avoid having you listen to the 703. The 600 and 700 are miles apart, I can assure you, and the difference between 703 and 804 is much more subtle than from 604 to 703. I trust you didnt believe what he was saying anyway, and you are happy with your 9NT.
                  I just bi-amped my 703's and they sound much smoother and full bodied than before. The 703s are a huge bargain for a very sweet sound.

Comment

• BWzes03
                    • Oct 2005

Unforunately, I haven't had the chance to listen to either models yet...
                    But when I do, I'll certainly keep you guys posted.. thanks for the replies so far...

Comment

• BWzes03
                      • Oct 2005

The verdict is in on the CDM 9NT vs. 703.. the winner is ....

A shiny pair of pre-owned N804 speakers !

I auditioned the 703's, the CDM-9NT's and the 804 speakers.
                      I found the difference in specifically the detail and high-tone definition to be spectacular enough to shell out the bucks for the N804's.

These are of course the original Nautilus 804's not the 804S's, since they are too new to be found pre-owned for a good price...

I'm very very happy now....

Allthough it'll be four months before I can collect them (4 monthly term payments)....

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

no easy, no easy.

I have front 703 and rear cdn7nt. the cdm7nt have a different sound compare the703. (in the first time the cdm7 are my front and now rear)
                        but if the 9nt can you have really in good state is sure a good buy.
                        Very import is too from HT or 2channel!!!!
                        for 2 channel the 9nt get you satisfaction, with HT system "in construction"
                        is better the 703.

Omar

Comment

• Cambs12
                          • Jul 2006

Hi,

i have owned a pair of CDm 9NTs for 5 years now,and rate them highly.recently i was auditoning new amps and cd players,and did this thru a pair of B&W 703s.
                          My own view of the 703s is that they are not as good,treble is too shrill.The CDM9nts,if substantially cheaper, would in my opinion be far better value.Having said this,the 703s are still a good speaker,and at their price i am sure they give the competition a run for their money.

I am looking to upgrade to 802 ds in the (hopefully) not too distant future,but will be sad to see the CDMs go,they have given me a lot of listening pleasure over the years.I agree with some of the views above about you looking for Nautilus series speakers,but having listened to the old Nautilus 804 in the past,i feel even this wouldn't be worth the price hike over the CDM 9nts,better to buy the cdms and wait for the funds to go higher up the Nautilus range,or even 803s or 803d in the future.

Hope this is of interest.

Comment

• dknightd
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by BWzes03
                            A shiny pair of pre-owned N804 speakers !
                            Nice.

I auditioned the 703's, the CDM-9NT's and the 804 speakers.
                            I found the difference in specifically the detail and high-tone definition to be spectacular enough to shell out the bucks for the N804's.
                            Good for you. Listen to the options, buy what you like.

Allthough it'll be four months before I can collect them (4 monthly term payments)....
                            Ouch 4 month wait can't be fun. But at least you are not getting in debt. Hope you like your new speakers when you see them again.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"