X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oversleep
    • Oct 2007

804s with Pioneer AX5i

I am thinking of upgrading my 603 S3 to 804s.
    I will be driving them thru Pioneer Ax5i Bi-amp 100 wpc 8 ohm.
    Full spec here...

I do understand that the amp wont give true potential of the 804s (maybe at 70%???) due cost saving wise I would not want to buy a new amp or CD player.

so my question is...

Would the 804s be driven safely thru the ax5i Bi-amp?
    Would the 804s sound better than the 603 S3 from the current set up?
    What are the thing i would miss from not driving 804s from proper amp?

The answer from you all will conclude if my set up would be at least meet the requirements for the 804s....
  • Isaac
    • Jan 2006

The ax5i should be able to drive the 804s safely at normal levels. The 800 series are just more accurate in my opinion but yes, they love tons power. If you are using them for Hometheater and having them crossed over around 80hz in the processor you should be OK. If you are using them for 2 channel, Full range or large speakers in the setup in the reciever you might be under powered even if you have them Bi-amped with the ax5i.

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Welcome to the forum oversleep

I have used the marginally higher specified Marantz 7300OSE with the 804 and yes you can do it safely assuming you listen at sane levels. That being said I would not consider your suggested setup as a long term solution. With hollywood movies the 804S will demand alot out of your receiver and this will impact on sound quality.

For 5.1 or similar you should be looking to pick up a power amp for the front two channels (or 3 channel if you prefer). Something second hand from Rotel would probably be the cheapest way of providing the additional current - RB1080 for example.

805s or another less demanding speaker from another brand may be a better solution if you want to stick with your current amplification.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Horacio
        • Jan 2005

I just posted similar answers on a couple other posts. I used to have a Rotel setup, including RB1080 with B&W CM4, and loved them together. Then upgraded to 804S and while I noticed several improvements it was sometimes more difficult to listen to. The 804S are very revealing and I found the RB1080 too harsh for my taste. I ended up upgrading the amp to a tubed McIntosh and truly love it. My point is the CM4 were more foregiving and sounded great with the RB1080.

If you can, I suggest you try to audition thye 804S at your home and decide. Or maybe you can bring your Pioneer to the dealer and audition the 804S with your amp.

Whatever you decide, I suggest you don't rush it.

Enjoy the chase!

Comment

• oversleep
          • Oct 2007

Hi thanks for all inputs...

I had demo a 804s awhile ago and love it. However, I can not try to demo it with my pioneer Ax5i. It is because the speaker is belong to a guy and he is planning to sell about £1400 (2800 US).

which i think the price is ok for as new condition 804s. Any comments on the price or the set up?

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Price seems reasonable.

If you don't like the result you can always sell for the same price you paid.

Re the Rotel - I was thinking of value for money not necessarily the best amp for the 804s. I use a Conrad Johnson myself.
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Mig17
              • Jan 2008

I used to have Rotel RC 03 and Rotel 1068 both were terrible sounding
              avoid Rotel if you can afford some thing more reliable Classe or Mcintosh

Comment

• oversleep
                • Oct 2007

If 804s sound crappy with my set up Ax5i,

I would go for musical fedelity A5 int amp. It cost around 900 pounds or 1800 US (uk price).

choice of cd player? I am thinking of Arcam CD37 or 192 or MF A5.

Still can not make up my mind, 1400 seems to be a lot of money to me at the moment. (still.. so tempted)

Comment

• oversleep
                  • Oct 2007

I finally decide to give it a go and obtain the 804s.

As result, 804s from AX5i sound much better than the 603 S3 however, i can notice that the amp gives flat sound on the high and slightly less bass (not that tight)

For technical wise, the ax5i do drive 804s safely, i play the 804s at slightly higher volume. There is no over heat, shut down or distortion.

Any things else i should try please let me know...

What to do next.. i am thinking of upgrading my speaker using CAT5 , (im on QED silver Ani)

then if good opportunity come .. CD player first then, int amp.

Comment

• Horacio
                    • Jan 2005

Congratulations!!!

To your questions, I would say enjoy your speakers and take it easy. I know it's hard to take it easy with the excitememnt of a new piece (I know from first hand experience), but it's worth doing. When I first got my 804s I thought the sound improved a lot. Eventually I came to realize I didn't like the treble that much with the RB1080. The 804s also seem to need some time to break in.

I would suggest you don't upgrade your wire as a next step. I think you should look at upgrading your amp first. Wire selection is pretty much a tweak for final adjustments to the sound signature of your system. So if you don't have a system you'll live with for a while, then to me it doesn't make sense to spend on wire. I haven't, yet, for this same reason.

My suggestion would be replacing, in order:
                    1) do you need a sub?
                    2) amp (after a number of trials at my dealer's I'm a believer the 804s will benefit more of an amp upgrade than a pre or source upgrade, so it needs to go first).
                    3) pre (if you need one) or source (cd player?)
                    4) power treatment? RGPG, power plant, or other?
                    4) wires

Sorry for the long message. Just trying to give back a bit of what I've learned with the help of so many at this and other forums.

Enjoy the speakers! You have a whole weekend ahead of you!!

Horacio

Comment

• oversleep
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Horacio
                      Congratulations!!!

To your questions, I would say enjoy your speakers and take it easy. I know it's hard to take it easy with the excitememnt of a new piece (I know from first hand experience), but it's worth doing. When I first got my 804s I thought the sound improved a lot. Eventually I came to realize I didn't like the treble that much with the RB1080. The 804s also seem to need some time to break in.

I would suggest you don't upgrade your wire as a next step. I think you should look at upgrading your amp first. Wire selection is pretty much a tweak for final adjustments to the sound signature of your system. So if you don't have a system you'll live with for a while, then to me it doesn't make sense to spend on wire. I haven't, yet, for this same reason.

My suggestion would be replacing, in order:
                      1) do you need a sub?
                      2) amp (after a number of trials at my dealer's I'm a believer the 804s will benefit more of an amp upgrade than a pre or source upgrade, so it needs to go first).
                      3) pre (if you need one) or source (cd player?)
                      4) power treatment? RGPG, power plant, or other?
                      4) wires

Sorry for the long message. Just trying to give back a bit of what I've learned with the help of so many at this and other forums.

Enjoy the speakers! You have a whole weekend ahead of you!!

Horacio
                      Hi
                      Thank you for the suggestions.. really useful.

My current system consist of
                      DVD player Pioneer 757ai
                      AV receiver Ax5i
                      601s3 x 2 (pair) (Unuse 1 pair)
                      804s
                      LCR 60
                      ASW 675
                      for power i am Tacima main conditioner with kimber PK14 as pw cable.
                      all connect with QED silver ani biwire

I would love to upgrade either the int amp or the cd player however this will set my back about 600-1000 pounds for each component. will keep an eye on 2nd hand market.

As you suggested above, i would splash on the int. amp. then... Musical fidelity A5 should be my choice.

For the wire, i will go down on DIY route and using CAT5 which got very feedback in avforums.com

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"