Clear All
  • CPALIU
    • Jun 2006

Denon 3806 or Pioneer Elite VSX 72TXVi / VSX-74TXVi as pre-amp

Between the

Denon 3806
    Pioneer Elite VSX 72TXVi
    Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi

which would be the best as a pre-amp? What qualities do you look at when you're planning on buying a receiver with the intent of using it as a pre-amp later down the road? All three receivers will work fine with the speakers i plan on driving (B&W 603), and all are about the same price.
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Rotel

CPALIU,

Maybe you have already looked at Rotel, but have you considered the RSX-1057? Rotel and B&W work very nicely together. The price is about the same as the Denon. Rotel's hold their value well should you decide to sell it later for a pre-amp.

As to what to look for in a receiver that will be a pre-amp later. Obvious things like current technology, decoding, etc. are important. Other areas include THD (lower the better), unit weight and S/N ratio (in general, the higher the better). One overlooked area is warranty. The Rotel reciever has a five year warranty. The Denon, I believe, is 2 years. I'm not sure what the Pioneer's are. This might be in indication of build quality.

Ultimately, the best spec is your ears. Listening to these units hopefully will tell you what sounds best to you.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by htsteve; 07 June 2006, 20:46 Wednesday.

Comment

• CPALIU
      • Jun 2006

Wouldn't the RSX 1057 be a little on the under powered side for the B&W 603?

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Good Power

CPALIU,

I don't believe so. Rotel published watt ratings are typically conservative and lower than real world performance. I had a 1095 rated at 200 x 5. I had it bench tested and it's actual output was 235 per channel. On Rotel's website is a review of the RSX-1056, the predecessor to the 1057. The bench test for the 1056 was 100w x 5 (not the rated 75w), with even higher dynamic output if needed. The listed weight of the 1057 give a clue about power capability. It weighs nearly 40 lbs (at only 75w/ch). Interestingly, the Denon is the same weight at 120w per channel. These receivers pieces should deliver the goods.

I've personally heard the 1057 with the 600 series speakers. It is a very good comination.

Hope this helps.
        Last edited by htsteve; 08 June 2006, 07:36 Thursday.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"