X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Just for fun - what are the true highlights in the B&W range

If you had a friend who was looking to buy a pair of stereo loudspeakers and he/she liked to think they got the very best for their money, which speakers would you recommend as the standouts in the B&W range?

I have this habit of reading about B&W speakers whenever I see them discussed, reviewed or reviled. No offence to the other speakers but the general vibe seems to be that the sweet spots can be found here:

802D

Some say the 705 is also worth a mention on this list, but in the past it has had alot of detractors who thought it too bright. Maybe the 800D is just that little bit too expensive.

Is this the best of the best, or am I dreaming :Z

If you are curious to know what sparked this, I read today in a rag called Hifinews (or something similar) that the sound of the 683 scored a lowly 65% compared to 4 competitors like the equivalent Focal floorstander at 85%. In fact the reviewer put the 683 in a category of its own - stone cold last. Nice to see a review where not every speaker is 5 stars, interesting that the speaker was a newish B&W release.

So, Is my casual observation about right? What do you think? Resist the temptation to simply stand up for whatever you have in your listening room. I have 804s and 705 so I reckon I can get away with making that arbitrary rule.

Part of what I like about my list is that there is a speaker for every budget (broadly speaking).
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:
  • dan87951
    • Nov 2005

As far as best bang for the buck the DM602 S3 is one of the best budget speakers B&W has ever made for the price!! Awesome speaker! Not a big fan of the newer 685 but they do sound very good (mainly higher end).

In the 800 line up I really like the N803's you can pick them up on the used market for high 2's low 3's and have 95% N802's sound. Never was a big fan of the N805's but the newer 805S's are much better with improved bass and smoother tweet. The 805S can be used as a main speaker if need be unlike the N805 which sounded bright and shallow.
    dan87951
    audio guru

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

Hallo,

For me the 805S is the best speakers for a good 2 channel (normal) system.

Much better vs. the 703, and price/specifications have too a good price.
      for my taste - I have had both /703 and 805/ and I prefer the 805.

The 685 have a beautiful design/look but I have not never listened it....
      (perhaps truly attractive price but the 685 CM1 is better...)

The 802D is the best from B&W.
      I don't think that a 801/800D is a Home speakers....

Greetings Omar

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

I agree with Dan, the 602 S3 was great. I didn't owe the 602 (I had 600 and 601 S3), but I've heard them quite a few times, and that bookshelf really did rival a lot of tower speakers that I've heard.

I would say that price for performance, the 602 stands out as a truly great speaker.
        Unbelievable performance for its size, easily the 805.
        And just a speaker that I'm still in awe everytime I listen to it, the 800.

I listened to the 704/703 a few times and think it sounds great for rock & hip-hop, but I never owned it, so I can't say I've listen to it enough times to make a strong statement about it.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• skuzzyb
          • Mar 2006

Pound for pound, the 805 is one of the best speakers out there. A lot of people would say it is a bit light on the bass but overall I think it is a fast, articulate speaker with impeccable timing and I think the bass is just right. I have to say that it has few peers at that price point.

The 802D I think is also a fine balance and while not as authoratative as the 800D is stirkes the right balance in most environments and gives you most of what its bigger brethren can at a fraction of the price. The 802D is a speaker which will be with me for a long, long time. My electronics may change but I have no intention of parting with these bad boys.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
            • Jun 2006

If you are including used, the Nautilus line is quite a bargain.

My DM3000's also always amaze me when I put them in the system. I replaced the capacitors and gril cloth and they sound wonderful, especially when given the advantage of my main system driving them. For well under $1000 I do not think they can be beat.

Comment

• Cruxis
              • Feb 2007

A bit biased, But I think the 803D's deserve a mention. They reside at the lowest price point where you can enter the Diamond range. While they can't rival the 802's in the midrange, they can bang pretty good downstairs.

Comment

• dknightd
                • Mar 2006

For the music I like (lots of different things, but mostly reggae, african, rock, folk, ), and depending on budget, I'd choose
                - something in the B&W 600 line, or maybe CM - probably one of their bigger models.
                - 802d (maybe the 803d should be above this, but I think I went to D I'll go to 802)
                - 800d

Now if you wanted to try to integrate a sub maybe a bookshelf would be OK, but I've yet to hear a bookshelf/sub arrangement that could sound better (to me) than two towers (at least not for simple two channel) for same cost.

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

Hallo,

To how much it seems nearly all are agree with 805 the best one speaker
                  in its wrap of price....
                  805 truly nice speakers :T .

@ skuzzyb: 802D, so far so good!!!! i agree.

Grretings Omar

Comment

• mjb
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Slowely but surely, the entire range is getting a mention! Yes, they're all oustanding, it just depends how much outstandingness you want to afford!
                    - Mike

Main System:
                    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• WI Rotel
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by mjb
                      Slowely but surely, the entire range is getting a mention! Yes, they're all oustanding, it just depends how much outstandingness you want to afford!
                      Just what I was going to say!!!!!!
                      However they haven't mentioned the XT series, Fabulous sound that would fit nicely in an art gallery!!!!

Comment

• Nolan B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                        Just what I was going to say!!!!!!
                        However they haven't mentioned the XT series, Fabulous sound that would fit nicely in an art gallery!!!!
                        lol..was waiting for you and all the other people to recommend the speaker they own.

I for one own the FPMs and while I realy like them I would not recomend them for value. Sound great, but pirce high because of form.

So there..the OP has a recomendation to stay away from at least 1 line when considering dollar for dollar value.

LOL knew exactly how this thread would turn out.

I would say that each series has a good speaker in its line offering great value.

Comment

• wgriel
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by Vancouver
                          lol..was waiting for you and all the other people to recommend the speaker they own.
                          Yeah, but it's not surprising - most of us bought what represented the "sweet spot" for us!

Even though it's not current, I thought the 603 S3 was an amazing speaker and was my favourite for that line. I don't own a pair, but I did. A friend has my old pair and I hear them from time to time. I'm always amazed at the quality they deliver for the price.

I am partial to the 703 (surprise!) but I would have to put the 802D as a very special speaker in the range. Of course the 800D is the best in the current line up (snail notwithstanding) but you pay a premium for that.

I'm less partial to the 805 than most, but I am admittedly more a fan of floorstanders in general.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

I am not suggesting we should take too much notice of reviews, far from it, but taking what I have read as a whole it would seem that the B&W 2 way speakers get the better press. Words like "could time better" seem to come up with many of the sanely priced floor standers from B&W. 802D on the other hand gets almost universal praise.

I have always gone for 2 way speakers (until my last pair) as I figured KISS was the best philosophy if you can't afford the very best.
                            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

For me 802D was the best value for the money, yes I would have like the 800D but the amount of cash difference I did not get the feeling that it was that much better.

Three: 800D $30,000

Three: 802D $18,000 :T

On top of it I would have had to buy at least three CAM400 instead of my CA-5200.
                              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                                • Apr 2005

802D I'd have said - and I do own them! :twisted:

Comment

• btf1980
                                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by wgriel
                                  Yeah, but it's not surprising - most of us bought what represented the "sweet spot" for us!
                                  Or in my case, the sweet spot for my wallet.
                                  A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• wgriel
                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by btf1980
                                    Or in my case, the sweet spot for my wallet.

Yeah, that too!

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                      If you had a friend who was looking to buy a pair of stereo loudspeakers and he/she liked to think they got the very best for their money, which speakers would you recommend as the standouts in the B&W range?
                                      I gave this question some serious thought before piping in and I would have to say the new CM Series namely the CM7 in high-gloss piano black would be the true highlight in the B&W range hands down. The series in general doesn't get much press and the CM7 is neither the best performing nor the least expensive of the whole bunch. But it does audibly exhibit a family resemblance to the top of the line 800's and costs a fraction. It's also an elegant looking piece in classic form that consumes a small footprint and isn't a difficult load to drive. Once the line expands (and it will) I think the attention that this range clearly deserves will be unavoidable.
                                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Russ L
                                        • Jul 2006

The B&W 704 has been an Absolute Sound Editor's Choice for 4 years in a row. However, it doesn't seem to be a favourite around this forum full of B&W fans. :scratchhead: Any 704 owners out there?
                                        Russ

Comment

• wgriel
                                          • May 2006

Originally posted by Russ L
                                          The B&W 704 has been an Absolute Sound Editor's Choice for 4 years in a row. However, it doesn't seem to be a favourite around this forum full of B&W fans. :scratchhead: Any 704 owners out there?
                                          I'm not an owner, but I do like the 704. I came very close to buying it but found the 703 was more to my liking when comparing them. But the 704 is a beautiful speaker and it does do certain things very well.

Comment

• multivac
                                            • Dec 2006

(*) 802D
                                            (*) 704

Honestly, top honor must go to the 685, a remarkable product.

Comment

• lawoftrust
                                              • Feb 2008

802D and 804S

Comment

• speakerboy
                                                • Nov 2005

For the least expensive diamonds, consider the 803D. I got mine for $5K for a demo pair though and was well worth it. All my friends say they have a crisper detail than my N803 speakers.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                  • Jul 2006

I like them but they are way too bass light.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2005

The Prestige.
                                                    B&W

Comment

• Russ L
                                                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                                      The Prestige.
                                                      The "burled" veneer and leather... :drool:

Reminds me of Acoustic Zen Adagios, you almost want to buy them for the veneer alone.

Russ

Comment

• Sounder
                                                        • Oct 2007

I'm surprised to see none of the CDMs listed. I got CDM9NTs plus the matching center and surrounds. I picked them because they have much of the performance level of the N804s at a much lower price point. They can be found used for good prices. Yes, I pick what I bought, but that's why I bought them!

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                          • Jun 2006

The "burled" veneer and leather... :drool:

Reminds me of Acoustic Zen Adagios, you almost want to buy them for the veneer alone.

Russ,

You're alright in my book :T

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"