X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wgriel
    • May 2006

Amp audition for 703s

Well, I just got back from a dealer where I spent about 2 hours auditioning a couple of integrated amps for my 703s.

At the moment, I've got my 703s hooked up to a Rotel RX-1052 which does sound very good, but I know I can get more out of the speakers.

I am contemplating sticking with Rotel and going for separates. I'll audition those later, but for the moment I thought I ought to give a listen to a couple of products from some other companies that fit (or stretch) my budget.

First up was the McIntosh MA6300 integrated. The cheapest Mac out there, but still a classy piece of gear. The competition: Simaudio Moon i5.3. The Simaudio unit costs a bit more, is rated lower in terms of watts, but I think is actually higher current than the Mac. I know it has no problems with 2 Ohm loads so it would have no trouble driving the 703s (according to the dealer it has no trouble driving the 800Ds for that matter and he claims sounds quite good with them).

I first listened to the MA6300. Initial impressions: Wow! way more bass than I get at home. Smooth and airy sounding, with what seemed like a better balance. The top end seemed a tiny bit tamed in comparison to the Rotel (although, the room at the dealer is better than mine, so the Rotel may very well sound better there, too).

I listened to a large number of pieces of music, and found that I loved the McIntosh, especially on Jazz and acoustic pieces. Well, it sounded better on everything than my receiver at home, but it should given that it costs almost 3 times as much!

When I switched to the Simaudio, I found it seemed much more forward than the Mac. I didn't like this at first, but I soon became acclimatized to its presentation and I loved it. I realized that it was revealing a bit more detail than the Mac, and it delivered a bit more depth and tightness in the bass department.

From my notes, I can see that I preferred the Mac for some of the jazz pieces I listened to, but the Simaudio rocked out better. On Blues it was very close, but the Simaudio seemed to deliver a bit more "slam" than the Mac.

I switched back and forth several times listening to the same songs. One example of the differences I heard between the two amps occurred the song "St. Thomas" from Saxophone Colossus by Sonny Rollins. Max Roach's cymbals had a detailed "shimmer" and sparkle on the Simaudio that was quite a bit more muted on the Mac. Both had more detail than I get at home.

But there was an overall musical quality to the Mac that was so easy to listen to.

After switching back and forth several times, I really couldn't decide which I liked better. There was an overall airiness and smoothness to the Mac that was delightful, but the detail that the Simaudio provided was addictive.

Anyway, no decisions made yet. At this point I'd call it a wash, but I'm still going to listen to a Rotel RC-1082 + an amp (haven't decided which) and see if that combo can be competitive with these integrated amps.

Just thought I'd share if anyone was interested.
  • Blu_Audio
    • Jun 2008

Thanks for the info on your session...I have to say I don't know jack about Simaudio but I currently run the McIntosh MC207 on my 703s, HTM7 and DS7s and it hits fairly hard and seems very tight. I had a Denon receiver driving it before and it sounded good but the MC207 took everything to another level for sure.

Have you thought about going with McIntosh separates? Is it in the cards?

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Nice to read about someones audition vs someone asking "what amp". I am sure you are aware of all the pitfalls of auditioning so you kept all the other elements in the system the same. its like doing a scientific experiment you need to eliminate all the variables - taking your amp next time would achieve this.

Happy auditioning
      Last edited by Briz vegas; 21 June 2008, 19:18 Saturday.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Ken49r
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Briz vegas
        Nice to reed about someones audition vs someone asking "what amp". I am sure you are aware of all the pitfalls of auditioning so you kept all the other elements in the system the same. its like doing a scientific experiment you need to eliminate all the variables - taking your amp next time would achieve this.

Happy auditioning

Great advice.....Keep everything as familiar and exact as possible.

Comment

• wgriel
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas
          Nice to reed about someones audition vs someone asking "what amp". I am sure you are aware of all the pitfalls of auditioning so you kept all the other elements in the system the same. its like doing a scientific experiment you need to eliminate all the variables - taking your amp next time would achieve this.

Happy auditioning
          Thanks, and good advice.

Actually, I don't need to bring my amp in because they have the exact same model for me to demo. Of course, there are differences: their room is better than mine for one. However, it's still a basis for me to compare how 2 amps perform with my speakers even if it's not exactly as it will be at home.

I know this isn't very scientific, but at least it gives me some basis for my decisions.

Comment

• wgriel
            • May 2006

Originally posted by Blu_Audio
            Thanks for the info on your session...I have to say I don't know jack about Simaudio but I currently run the McIntosh MC207 on my 703s, HTM7 and DS7s and it hits fairly hard and seems very tight. I had a Denon receiver driving it before and it sounded good but the MC207 took everything to another level for sure.

Have you thought about going with McIntosh separates? Is it in the cards?
            If I could afford McIntosh separates I'd jump at the chance!

That's not going to happen in the near future, but maybe somewhere down the line.

Comment

• Blu_Audio
              • Jun 2008

Well truth be known I don't have all McIntosh...I started to use a Denon 4308...then got the MC207, then I am swapping out the 4308 for the Denon AVP-A1HDCI...my point is that mybe drive the speakers with a McIntosh and then process with something else. Just an idea.

Comment

• Tommy
                • Dec 2006

Have you listened to the MA6900? They are 200 watt and can be found at a good price because they are being replaced by the MA7000. This might make your rock slam better.

Comment

• george_k
                  • Jan 2004

I have a MA6900 paired with my 703's, it's proved to be a very nice combination. The next upgrade will either be to a C220 + MC252 or a C220 + MC275

Comment

• Luke Skywalker
                    • Apr 2007

I have a Yaqin MC-100B :T

I'm very happy

Electrical performance targets
                    ● Output power:
                    30W×2 (8Ω) Triode (TR) connection
                    60W×2 (8Ω) Ultralinear (UL) connection
                    ● Frequency response: 5Hz~80KHz (-2dB)
                    ● Distortion: ≤1.5%
                    ● Signal noise ratio: ≥90dB (A)
                    ● Input sensitivity:
                    packed mode: 0.25V
                    Pro mode: 0.6V
                    ● Valve: KT88×4 6SN7×4 12AX7×2
                    Last edited by Luke Skywalker; 02 April 2011, 15:52 Saturday.
                    "Luke Skywalker Experience"

"Luke Skywalker photos"

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"