X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george_k
    • Jan 2004

Have a short-list of components in mind, need input

I recently purchased a set of B&W 703's, I now feel the need to change my HT receiver for an integrated. I've created a list of options based on reviews I've read and a set of criteria I'd like to adhere by:

Criteria:
    - Budget: $3,000 or less
    - Pre-out available to connect to subwoofer (for movie use)

I also added a couple of tube integrateds that "fit" given that so much has been said about the musical nature of tubes (e.g. lush, inner-detail, midrange-clarity etc...)

Anybody have any experience with any of these units, comments and input are/is appreciated.

Solid-state
    -----------
    Simaudio I-3 SE
    Mcintosh MA6300
    Cambridge Audio Azur 840A (selected based on potential for high price-to-quality)
    Plinius 9100 (interested but can't demo, no dealer)
    Electrocompaniet ECI 3 (interested but can't demo, no dealer)

Tube-based
    ----------
    Cary SLI 80
    Antique Sound Labs AQ1001 DT
  • Joey_V
    • Jul 2005

Used Mark Levinson no383 should be on your list.
    Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
    Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
    System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• george_k
      • Jan 2004

While I understand that getting a used piece might get me the "best bang for my buck". I don't want to go that route because there's just too many "what if" scenarios. Therefore, I'm not going to consider used components unless I can source them locally or within a reasonable driving distance from a dealer or individual.

Comment

• Russ L
        • Jul 2006

Tried the Cambridge Audio 840A along with my 840C CD player at the Dealers and was not impressed at high volumes the mids were too cloudy. Might have been the dealers Focal 726V speakers. I would demo it at home but the Moon is my choice although the lack of volume knob is irritating to me. Great sound for the money at $2400CDN and locally made in La Belle Province. I will upgrade to either the Moon i3 SE, the Creek Destiny $3000 CDN, or Creek Classic $2000CDN Integrated Amplifiers as soon as finances allow. -Russ
        Russ

Comment

• warnerwh
          • Jan 2006

You have a very nice system. You don't mention acoustics though. Seeing as Acoustics have a far larger impact on the sound quality than any electronics if you don't have any now would be a good time to start. The difference is usually startling btw.

Unless a room is properly treated you really can't hear your system perform anywhere near what it's capable of unless you are super lucky. Being lucky enough to win the lottery is approx the same odds.

Remember all those reflections are NOT on the recording and can make or break any system no matter the cost.

Comment

• nick.h
            • Jan 2006

Musical Fidelity would be on my list. Not sure of the pricing, but the A5 Series is very very good.

Comment

• jack667
              • Jul 2007

Nick, I'd agree with that. MF should be on your audition/short list. Lots of people own MF on this forum, so can be discussed thoroughly.
              B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• george_k
                • Jan 2004

Yes I forgot about Musical Fidelity good point...

Luckily the same store caries Cary, Musical Fidelity and Simaudio. I'll get them to set up a 3-way shootout on the same set of speakers they don't carry B&W unfortunately but I'll still be able to compare between them.

I'd rather take all three units home and test for myself but I don't think they'll be that comfortable with loaning out that much equipment.

As for room acoustics, I haven't bothered all that much with them other than adding a rug and an additional blanket over the curtains (both to block out excess light and to thicken the absorption material)

The reason I don't bother with room acoustics is because I'm renting for the moment and will be moving out in the near future. At that point I could build myself some proper absortion/diffusion panels

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"