X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aslund
    • Jun 2008

B&W 640i vs. 604S2

Hey all

I am looking for some speakers and I have eye on B&W 640i and 604S2, but I can decide which to pick. 640i is older but have 2*8" bass, on the other hand I have heard good about 604S2 from a friend. Can anyone help with some tips or ideas about this two speakers that can help me decide.

Regards

Aslund
  • bombayteddy
    • Oct 2008

No contest!

I have only just joined HT Guide and this is my first post....
    I have used the DM-640i's since 1996 and can honestly say the 604S2 are NO MATCH for them.
    To be more specific: the 640i is a true "monitor" --- accurate, deep and fast. It is also somewhat uncompromising of poor ancillaries, recordings and placement --- for example, toe-in is NOT recommmended with them since the tweeters are among the first metal-domes made and so they tend to "burn" you, on axis! For the same reason, ANY hardness anywhere else in the chain is made very apparent.
    The 604S2, on the other hand, is definitely more "commercial" in its sonic-signature, with several compromises made in its build. For example, those awful foam plugs for the port that's located at ground-level, making for bass that's either bloated or muffled....take your pick! The 640i, however, is rear-ported, with one of the most reliable tuning systems I have ever seen....a screw-on plastic cap that effectively seals the speaker totally (for use against a wall) and the option of using TWO flared internal pipes of different lengths, to vary the quantity of bass. Of which there's plenty, thanks to the two 8-inch woofers. In my home-theater, I dont NEED a subwoofer!
    Since they're old, I must admit I have often thought of trading them in for something else; but I'm glad I didnt. In fact, I went to audition the new 683, ready to buy them, and walked away since I felt my 640i's were better!!
    Need I say more?
    Last edited by bombayteddy; 23 October 2008, 12:47 Thursday. Reason: mistake

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"